PDA

View Full Version : Marine carpet glue help

FNQCairns
02-01-2007, 09:12 AM
The glue the original carpet was stuck down with was yellow and a bit stringy when the carpet was pull away.

It worked really well, so what could it have been? Any other cost effective alternatives?

cheers fnq

cbs
02-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Yellow stuff is contact adhesive. Available from any hardware shop.

Roughasguts
02-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Yup is contact adhesive, Might be able to get the old stuff of with Turps, let it soak for a while though.

FNQCairns
02-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Cheers thanks for the name, will chase some up.

a_big_red_1
02-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Hi fnq, will you be fitting the carpet yourself?

sounds like the boat is in the finishing stages, its all going good?

also my pewter crashed not so long ago and i have lost you E-mail addy
i have taken a few pics of the canopy for ya

cheers
Daz

FNQCairns
02-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi Daz yeah fitting myself, never done it before seems simple enough to copy the corners that were there.

No not real close, getting a nice treasure chest of new boat goodies ready which is fun and waiting for the welders to get back from the christmas break - slackers + busy getting the engine up to scatch and waiting on parts.

With the carpet I got busy yeasterday re-designing the way the ply pieces jigsaw so I can pull a long single piece fast for access to the last half of the boat hull down either side of the CC. So now have wasted cut-out pieces of original ply and carpet I need to replace with more new stuff.

Interested to see the pics will contact.

cheers fnq

Geoff_Atkinson
02-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi FNQ,

When I replaced the floor on my boat, i used the glue that is used to stick down artificial turf on outdoor surfaces. I got it from Clark Rubber on McCoombe Street. They actually recommended it for marine carpet. Oh, I got the carpet there as well.

FNQCairns
02-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks sea-raider I forgot about them, will check out their range.

cheers fnq