PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 12V battery for canoe

roydsy
03-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Hi battery gurus,

I need a really good 12V battery for the canoe and would like to purchase it from someone on the Gold Coast new. Any recommendations on brand, size, cranking amps etc. It is to go with a 54lb motorguide. The bass catcher canoe can hold 325 kg's so weight shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I guess the best weight:power ratio would be ideal.

Anyone care to help or recommend something? I don't want to spend more than $250.00

cheers
Roydsy

HIGH_and_DRY
03-01-2007, 08:42 AM
i wouldn't go past an oddessey dry cell. #they can be mounted any way except upside down, have zero maintaience, and the smallest one would probably out power most large regular ones. #should get one for around your budget. #by small, i mean the size they use on a motorbike. # i would imagine this would be sufficient for your canoe...

pete

roydsy
03-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Cheers Pete, i will see if google can find me one.

roydsy
03-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Okay it seems they are harder to find then i first thought. Any suggestions on where to find them, should i call some motorbike dealers?

roydsy
03-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Also, I rang my local battery superstore and they recommended the Pulse gel battery N70:

http://www.pulsehyper.com.au/phn70.htm with 100amp hours but weighs 29.3kg.

In comparison the oydssesy PC925 has only 28amp hours but weighs only 17kg.

Am I missing something here comparing dry cell and gel deep cycle batteries. I was expecting better life from the dry cell.

The_Walrus
03-01-2007, 11:06 PM
If you're looking to power an electric, I'd be looking at a 100/130 amp batery to give you a few hours of power.

Wet, dry or gel batteries is relatively immaterial. You're looking for high capacity deep cycle batteries.

Luc