PDA

View Full Version : Anchors, minimum requirements

Black_Jack
03-01-2007, 08:34 PM
I was listening to the local community radio station the other day. They sometimes have a safe boating section.

They were saying that a reef anchor cannot be your only anchor on the boat. you also need a sand anchor or a plough anchor to have the minimum safety equipment on board.

this has no effect on me as i have a number of anchors on my boat but i found this interesting.

i hope this makes sense and i understood it right.

Geoff

stevedemon
03-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi black_jack mate he is right on that comment if you look in the rules an regs of boating it states the size an weight of anchor, Chains and different diameter of rope or if the vessel is to use full chain required for the different size vessel once a vessel reaches a certain size they must go into the plough anchors for safety reasons but we should always carry the right anchors on board as you never know just when you may require the different anchors i always carry a sandy an my reefie when i am outside or in the bay if at the pin the reefie is left at home so as it does not get in the way an i have both 50mtr an 100mtr of rope and 3 mtrs of chain on both anchors or if going to tipplers or some where the same for camping i always carry two sandies so as to place the nose of the vessel out so the big bay cruises do not flood them from the stern or they do not beach themselves

hope this helps and answers your question :-? :-?

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Jeremy
04-01-2007, 06:48 AM
there is nothing about that in the MSQ regulations. It simply states that you must carry one anchor with 27 m of 'cable' or two anchors with 37 m of cable each for boats over 8m. Nothing at all about the type of anchor.
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/MSQ.nsf/ReferenceLookup/rec_safety_equipment.pdf/$file/rec_safety_equipment.pdf

Jeremy

wayneoro
04-01-2007, 07:38 AM
mate for safety get a bruce anchor there price has come down heaps and i have never drifted a inch no matter what with mine

Black_Jack
04-01-2007, 07:42 AM
the bruce anchors look like a good anchor.
i normally use a plough anchor or a reef anchor.
but also caring a sand anchor, but to date havent ever really used it.
geoff

Black_Jack
04-01-2007, 08:05 AM
Jeremy

maybe i heard wrong, i can not find anything stating what is the minimum type of anchor you are required to have on your boat.

if i find anything i will let you know

geoff

Jeremy
04-01-2007, 08:38 AM
I also always carry a sand anchor for safety, even if I am going offshore and only plan to use the reef pick. Never know when you might need it.

Jeremy

Cheech
04-01-2007, 08:58 AM
I am the same as Jeremy on both counts. When I first read this I thought that the regs were length, not type. I only ever use the reef pic. Even at the pin. I find that the prongs of the reef pick dig in very well and bury the anchour. Though I do cary a sand anchour as well.