PDA

View Full Version : Nugget's new boat

Nugget
09-05-2006, 07:08 PM
It’s been a long and involved process – close to 6 months deciding on a new boat and motor.
Ausfish readers might remember my initial ideas were for a centre console – a hard core fishing machine.
But… after I made a list of all my requirements on paper – it was hard to justify a centre console.
If you’re trying to decide on a boat, it is worthwhile writing down a list of wants and needs on paper, it might surprise you.
Often the wants are swaying the decision, not the needs.
I need protection for camera gear, and I do a lot of overnight trips that would be a lot more comfortable with some form of shelter.
Another concern I’ve always had in the back of my mind with centre consoles is when crossing bars – it is nice to have some form of cab to break a green one if it comes over the bow.
So while I preferred the look and hard core fishability of a centre console, I bowed to needs over wants and chose a cuddy cab.

Next decision was glass or alloy.
I preferred the ride of glass but the toughness of alloy.
If only I could find an alloy boat that performed as good as a glass boat… or a glass boat that was as tough as an alloy – I think I did, more on this later.

Alloy Boats:
There are a lot of very good plate alloy manufacturers in Australia and in particular Queensland.
Every manufacturer excels in different and yet overlapping areas – some in the quality of build, some design and some on price.
The secret is to find a feature, design or company attitude that suits you.
The big advantage of plate alloy is that most manufacturers let you modify the design to your needs and wants.
I have to take my hat off to some of the better designs born from spending time on the water with a rod in hand – Fisher Boats come to mind as one of the best and most innovative fishing layouts there is – A boat I would be proud to own.
Noble Super V boats also impressed me – they are built like a Sherman tank – I doubt there are many stronger built plate boat in Oz and the Super V design gives them good stability at rest.
In the end it comes down to your own personal priorities and finding a boat that best meets them.

Fibreglass Boats:
The big disappointment in glass boats for me was that most manufacturers’ were not keen to modify their standard designs.
In fact most refused point blank – you buy the boat as it sits on the showroom floor.
Others offered minor changes to their standard configuration, beefing up infrastructure etc, but definitely no design changes to the layout.
While I found no ‘bad boats’ in the bigger established and reputable glass boat manufacturers – they work on proven designs and do their homework before spending money on a new design – #the few glass boats I did find fault with were built to a price.
The bottom line in glass boats – all boats in fact – is that you get what you pay for.

My Boat:
I’m sure some of you, by now, are wondering what my new boat will be…
The package I’m looking at is valued at somewhere between 40 – 50 grand, so this was no light decision.
Let’s just recap my requirements:
I wanted a boat that was sharp on the plane – cut through the water like a knife.
The problem is, boats of this design are inherently unstable at rest.
I also wanted a boat that had unsurpassed stability at rest – both for shooting video and fishing comfort.
The problem is, to get stability at rest you need a flatter hull which means a pounding on the plane.
Safety was also of major importance to me – if I got into trouble, I want the thing to stay afloat regardless – unsinkable.
There is something very satisfying, knowing that your boat is unsinkable.
I looked at many many boats and put them through all manner of tests before I made my decision.
In the end I chose a boat that was as good, if not a better ride than any other boat I have tested in my 30 plus years as a boat owner (this is my 12th boat in 30 years).
It also had the best stability at rest of any mono hull I have ever fished out of - bar none.
Meeting my final criteria, it was also safe – virtually unsinkable.
In the end I went to New Zealand – a boat born from some of the toughest waters on earth and the first choice of many rescue organisations around the world… a Stabicraft.
My new boat is a 5.59 Stabicraft.
It has the cut through the water of a fine deadrise while on the plane and yet it has the stability of an inflatable at rest as a result of the rigid sponsons.
With 7 airtight sealed chambers, it is also virtually unsinkable - the best there is in boating safety.
Ok… they may not be pretty – but look who’s talking, pretty I aint!
To be perfectly honest, all boats are a compromise in one way or another.
No the Stabi is not perfect.
On the down side, the Stabi does not have an underfloor kill tank, the anchor well is too small and I do not like how far the motor sticks out past the transom on the pod.
But for my application, the Stabi had more of the features I wanted and was less of a compromise than the rest.

The Motor:
I looked at many many motors - read specification after specification before I made my decision.
I came to the conclusion that, other than a few cheap unknown brand imports, there are almost no lemons on the market these days.
I asked lots of question from people that had motor complaints and most were a result of the fit up, prop pitch or wrong advice on horsepower.
Of those that had mechanical problems, it was usually with a new model and sorted out pretty quickly.
My priorities were: high performance for horsepower, cheap running costs, low maintenance costs and reliability.
I looked very hard at 4 strokes.
Their big advantage is low emissions, low fuel consumption and quiet running.
However, all those I tested in the 90hp range lacked something in low down, get out of the hole, grunt.
On this point, I also noted many NSW bar crossing instructors, as well as Queensland’s Bill Corten, went to 4 strokes initially but then went back to 2 strokes because they were not happy with the power band of 4 strokes.
What I wanted was a motor that had the power of a 2-stroke but with the fuel consumption of a 4-stroke.
I think I found that…
My new motor is a 90hp Evinrude E-Tech.
They are a 2-stroke – with all the power advantages of a 2-stroke and the lightest in their class in most cases, but they use as little fuel as a 4-stroke and are as quiet running.
In my opinion, the Evinrude E-Techs are years ahead of their time.
They come with a 3 year, 300 hour warranty – that’s when their first service is due.
Think about that, for most users their first service is 3 years after they buy the motor!
There is no run in period either – flat out from day one!
Oil consumption is miniscule – so little that it is hardly worth considering in the running costs.
I did my research and sums and I couldn’t go past them for performance, reliability or running costs.
It’s taking a while to build up, but they are getting a very very good reputation amongst users – so much so that I could not find anyone that had a bad word to say about the E-Techs.

So that’s it folks – a 559 Stabicraft cuddy cab and 90hp E-Tech outboard.
All things going well I should have it by the end of this month.
We will be modifying it - adding accessories, as a weekly project on 4BC.
Should make for interesting listening as we discuss and choose the accessories - dual batteries and management system, lighting, electronics and all the other gadgets that make boating fun!
Mine will be like this one but blue – see you on the water.

Dave ><>

lippa
09-05-2006, 07:38 PM
do they still make the ocean cylinder?

cheers

lippa

Reefmaster
09-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Congrats Dave
Big decision to make and probally a relief you finally made one. I'm sure you will be happy with the stabi and no doubt it will meet all your expectations. Good luck

Regards Greg

seatime
09-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Nice boat Nugget, it qualifies in 3 critical areas, safety, comfortable ride and practicality.
I quite like the commercial look, they also look very purposeful. I'll have to get a ride in one soon and my mind will probably be made up also. Had another crawl over the red Stabi and 90 E-Tec at Leisure Marine today. Are u getting the rocket launcher and canopy as in the photo?

A couple of items I noticed, the tie-off cleats on the stern are plastic and a bit flimsy, and there are luggs welded on the transom near the waterline. May be for lifting the boat out of the water?
What are you going to call it?
cheers, Steve.

youngfisho
09-05-2006, 08:48 PM
lippa,

yeah they do make the Oc's but in yamba. yamba engineering and welding, have more options than the stabies and have a bigger tank and a list of options longer than your arm. another company in the northern territory make a similar designed hull (ocean master). deep v stability at rest but have different design than stabi in that the pontoon does not run in the water rather on top of it. Some ausfishers on this site have mentioned how much better they are but without a ride in one really its hard to comment. but on paper they seem a good boat. albeit expensive. good choice with the stabi though. just a pity they werent a bit beamier but then their softness of ride would suffer.

good luck with it nugget

now lets see some pics of the stabi jumping the bar :D :D

andrew

Nugget
09-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Are u getting the rocket launcher and canopy as in the photo?
# #A couple of items I noticed, the tie-off cleats on the stern are plastic and a bit flimsy, and there are luggs welded on the transom near the waterline. May be for lifting the boat out of the water?
What are you going to call it?
cheers, Steve.

Yes, rocket launcher and canopy as per the photo.
Yes agree with you about the tie off points. If they break I'll replace them with metal ones!
The lugs on the water line are for factory lifting - no other real purpose.
Call it? - hadn't thought of that!

Dave ><>

Nugget
09-05-2006, 09:03 PM
lippa,

have different design than stabi in that the pontoon does not run in the water rather on top of it. #

andrew

As a result of MacMauler's recomendation, I looked hard at the Ocean Cylinder boats.
The current manufacture and design was not what I was looking for.

I may have missunderstood your comments, but just to clarify - The Stabi pontoon does not run in the water - sits on top.

Dave ><>

redspeckle
09-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Dave
A great read [smiley=thumbup.gif] how you come to your conclusion on what kind of boat you wanted and the outboard ( in which i was very interested in ) to go with it I hope you will be very happy with it and have plenty of good fishing trips with it
Also hope too see you giving some of your fishing reports out of the boat on TEN on fridays nights
Mitch

Lucky_Phill
09-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Maybe Dave, you could do a Mono and run a comp to name ya boat, with the winner getting a trip and maybe getting their mug on tele !!!!!!! :o ::) :P 8-)

Good luck at Fraser mate !

Are you doing the Radio show from there ?

OH, well done on making a decision on the boat and also a great indepth post.

Cheers Phill

Grand_Marlin
09-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Very nice Nugget,

I was only looking at them again today, and in all honestly would have no hesitation in buying one.

They really are a safe, soft and dry boat. If ALL the Australian boat builders took a leaf out of Stabicraft's book for design innovation and inherent safety, the boating public could take a lot of the agonising compromises out of buying a boat.

I like the look of them too ... and the newer metallic colours are really different as well.

Good on ya Nugget, you chose well.

Cheers

Pete

Sportfish_5
09-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Sounds good Dave. What is the max hp rating on one of them ? Not a bit underpowered with the 90 ?

Cheers

Greg

Gbanger
09-05-2006, 10:48 PM
As redspeckle said, very interesting read, seeing how you came to your conclusion...

whats the weight of the 559 decked out?

Nugget
10-05-2006, 05:10 AM
Max HP is 130.
They weigh a whisker over 1000kg on the road - plus the gear I put in it.
Hull weight is 650kg.
I was impressed with the with the power pushed by the 90hp E-Tech.
I'll give you all a full fuel consuption and speed report after I've got some hours on it so I can be sure of the facts.

Dave ><>

PinHead
10-05-2006, 05:13 AM
We will be modifying it - adding accessories, as a weekly project on 4BC.
Should make for interesting listening as we discuss and choose the accessories - dual batteries and management system, lighting, electronics and all the other gadgets that make boating fun!
Mine will be like this one but blue – see you on the water.

Dave ><>

well Dave...I am sure a deckie would rate as an accessory...so I will volunteer to be the guinea pig...oops, deckie for any trip..just holler.

Nice rig

Nugget
10-05-2006, 05:25 AM
Maybe Dave, you could do a Mono #and run a comp to name ya boat, with the winner getting a trip and maybe getting their mug on tele !!!!!!! # #:o ::) # #:P # # 8-)

Good luck at Fraser mate !

Are you doing the Radio show from there ?

OH, well done on making a decision on the boat and also a great indepth post.

Cheers #Phill #

I hadn't even given a name the slightest thought. - good idea but.
Yes doing the first Sat & Sun and then the final Sat from up on Fraser - back in Brisbane for the Sunday.

Pitty you're ot coming down Phill - there's something special about a cold beer overlooking the beach with mates on Fraser.

Dave ><>

Big_Kev
10-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Very nice choice Dave.
She will look good behind the FSJ.

Az
10-05-2006, 10:20 AM
good choice mate, now don't be shy we all want to see some more pics of the new rig when you have them ;)

TinarooTriumph
10-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Great looking boat mate. Id live in that thing if i owned it ;D .

TinarooTriumph 8-)

Nugget
10-05-2006, 12:18 PM
I'd have to conceed that the Stabi does not have the look of a Fisher, Noble, Riptide etc - There's something about those big plate boats that makes you want to launch off Waddy Beach and pull in big fish.
If everbody had the same concept of what the perfect boat should be - there would only be a need for one design and it would be a very boring world.

Here's another pic of the model I'm getting - looking prettier than me with lipstick on.

Dave ><>

TonyM
10-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Congratulations Dave!

Great summary on the process of choosing which boat suits your needs, I agree 100% and have done the same myself when buying my last half a dozen boats (although I included plastic as an option for the hull this time round) :D

The Stabis were very high on my list too as the safety aspects alone are awesome, although as you mention everyones needs and wants are different! (The Stabis were also a tad over my 35k budget but I was sooooo tempted to stretch it)

madman1
10-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Congrats Nugget,

It should do the work you require.

Better choice with the E-tec. You wont be disappointed. The fuel economy is great. I should know I have a 90 pushing a 525 Stacer cuddy and cant be happier!

Cheers

Mark

Lucky_Phill
10-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Never say never Dave !

That coldie on Fraser is sounding tempting, and it's only a couple of hours from me. ::) 8-) 8-)

AS a side note, did anyone , Dealer or other, suggest filling the " Tubes " with " space foam " on the Stabi. I know she has 7 air tight compartments, but was just wondering if that got mentioned ?

OH, and I see the comp has a proper coloured sponsor ;) ;)

Phill

Nugget
11-05-2006, 06:19 AM
Never say never Dave !

That coldie on Fraser is sounding tempting, and it's only a couple of hours from me. # #::) # # 8-) # 8-)

AS a side note, did anyone , Dealer or other, suggest filling the " Tubes " with " space foam " on the Stabi. I know she has 7 air tight compartments, but was just wondering if that got mentioned ?

OH, and I see the comp has a proper coloured sponsor ;) ;)

Phill

Not a bad thought - the only way you can sink them is puncture several chambers.

Fraser... - you could do with a few days away from paint sniffing - come on down!

Dave ><>

youngfisho
11-05-2006, 07:40 AM
nugget

from what i have read and seen the stabis pontoon extends from the top gunnel to the chine and runs in the water and provides part of the running surface. Where as the OC's pontoons only touch the water at rest or when in heavy seas. And are designed to run with the pontoons just above the water line when underway.

Herein lies a key feature of the Ocean Cylinder concept. As soon as the Ocean Cylinder ascends onto a plane, the main deep vee hull lifts up into it's normal planning mode, the cylinders themselves completely out of the water and minimizing drag from this wonderful safety and stability feature. (taken from yamba's website)

not sure if that clarifys things for you nugget. eitherway still an excellent choice in boats and one you wont regret in a hurry.

ask doug hanning about his stabi. dont plenty of hours in it and he spends more time offshore than most. its a generation 1 hull, so not as finely tuned as yours. but still from what ive heard quite a ball tearer.

andrew

WHITTO
11-05-2006, 09:24 AM
I think you have made a monumental BLUE Nuggett, You should stick with the RED on cause Red one's go faster (don't they) very nice craft,cheers #Whitto

seatime
11-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Phill

You can get the pontoons foam filled if u wish, I believe it would be required if the boat was to go into USL survey like 2C (depending on boat length). Interestingly the pontoons have a sealed bolt that can be removed for pressure testing each individual pontoon. regards

FREYR
15-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Nice boat you have, a very practical decision.

Just for reference's sake, there are Australian-made alternatives to Stabicraft, such as Typhoon boats for instance (Aztec, Snyper, Scorpion are others IIRC)

http://www.dinkiedi.com/typhoon_boats1.htm

Their 5m and 5.5m models look very tough indeed

http://www.dinkiedi.com/side%20on%20mini%20Bert%20&%20Wayne.jpg

Ron173
15-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Nice one Nugget,

She looks good, cant comment on Stabicraft from experience, but looks great and I believe were used for Taxi boats in Sydney harbour? prhaps someone can verify or deny that one.

What I can say is I have your motor on a 480 Freedom Sport and I give it a handfull, (why not, otherwise I'dve bought a 60hp if I wanted to go slow....LOL) let me tell you.... for its size and HP, it basically runs on the smell of an oily rag!!

Get dealer to program and run XD100 from start, as opposed to XD50 semi synthetic, its a synthetic oil (smokeless) recommended by evinrude, more exy, but engine uses 50% less, so basically better oil for free. Only cost on average $65 a bottle which is 1 us gallon which is just under 4ltrs, on normal recreational use you should use about a bottle a year, hardly a big finance.

My mrs loves it, she lies back on my rear lounge n sunbathes while we troll for fish, and she adores the no smoke or 2 stroke smell, and I love my bowser visits ;D ;D!!

My old Merc would have smoked her out, n cleaned me out $$

You wont be dissapointed, fuel economy has to be experienced to be believed, I'm beyond trying to justify it to those who dont believe, you will soon see what I mean, for a 90, its frugal big style.

Enjoy it mate n report the fuel eco to the board, I know it will be great ;D

Rgds

Ron

disorderly
15-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi Nugget,
Good to see such objectivity when it comes to spending that kind of money.I dont think you can go wrong with that hull but I think you may be somewhat underpowered with the 90 Etec.For an extra couple of grand you really should upgrade to at least a 115.

cheers Scott

ps. I have a 90 Etec on a hull (5.25) rated to 85hp .Very happy with the motor but often wish I could get more than 30 knots.

Luke_Groen
15-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Nice boat mate ;)

Scalem
15-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Nice Boat Dave,

Maybe I should start talking my finance director about my sore back, which comes as a result of all the Moreton Bay chop my boat bangs hard up against. If I see a flash of blue go past me( the boat and your blue eyes!! :o :o) I will be very jealous indeed!! ;D

I bet it flys over the bay when you get it, your description of looking for a hull that cuts through the waves is very high on my wish list too ;)

Heavy sigh....... :'( :'(I'll Stop dreaming, but happy for you mate!!

Scalem

PROBIE
27-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Dave

We've been looking at Stabis as well with the view to fishing the bay and outside.

Did you have any concerns about the low sides on the boat and taking a bit of water in a rough sea.

Ted

peeler
27-12-2006, 03:14 PM
great boat

Fishnwell
04-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Where are you up to now on the new boat, what idiosyncrasy's, good points, what could be improved, etc etc on motor and boat??

Dave

GBC
04-01-2007, 10:01 AM
perfect logic nugget.

Next black flag day at the comp, you'll be out there floating rather than sitting on the beach 'looking tough'.

C.J.