PDA

View Full Version : Belco Trailers

devocean1
06-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Hi Guys,

Looking at buying a new Belco Trailer. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on them.

Looking at doing some pretty heavy duty stuff with it

Cheers Dan

ROB80
06-11-2006, 03:41 PM
not with their boat trailers but a mate has a gal box trailer that he built a camper top on and swears by them. he went back and bought another one to keep his water tank he uses to top up his main tanks up with. he is mad for them.

HarryO
06-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi Dan.

Whats the plan?

(no pun intended)

Harry.

mako_5.2
06-11-2006, 08:40 PM
I have had a couple of their trailers . As far as I know they will still build one offs or real heavy duty jobs. Give them a call

peterbo3
06-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I have seen a few. Slightly dearer than other brands but well made. I have a quote for one to be built in "C" section. No more box section to rust out from the inside.

Sniper
06-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Heard of a few problems with them using parabolic springs. #Have seen one instance where the parabolic spring broke and jammed the axle and tyre against the guard. #Lucky they weren't on the highway. #I'm fairly sure that he's a member on here too. #Since then he's fitted dual axles to it. #Ask Warrior as I think he's had an incedent too with them. Not 100% sure, but I myself am staying well away from that style of spring, no matter who the manufacture of trailer is. But besides that they seemed to be a strong, well made trailer.
Cheers
Billyboy

Fishin_Dan
07-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Dan,

I've seen one or two of there trailers, and been out to their factory. They do look really well built. Mate of mine got one for his 21ft glass boat, and it is a cracker of a trailer. He researched for months before going Belco. Here's a pic of his trailer.

Speak to them though as they will custom build whatever you want.

devocean1
07-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the reply guys.

The plan is I am going to purchase the 4.3 heavy duty trailer for my 4 metre tinny which is the next size up from the 4 metre trailer.

I intend to do a lot of ks on the highway down to prossie dam and up as far as Lucinda (got to start making use of that holiday house) which is about 4 hours drive. Also planning on a couple of Staatan River trips next year. which is a fair way but only 80ks of dirt.

For my other gulf trips I put the boat on top. Just looking at an upgrade but if anyone has any other suggestions on brands let me know. Im looking at paying around 1400 bucks at the moment for the 4.3 trailer

HarryO
07-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi Dan.

This is anecdotal, but a mate of my neighbours bought a

4.6m BMT combo to do a gulf trip.

He bought a Belco trailer for this trip, and he paid roughly

$1600. for it.

He returned back to Brissie with a broken and patched

trailer and a damaged boat...

I have otherwise heard nothing but good reports on

Belco trailers..

I do believe that when you approach Belco, or someother,

be totally honest with your intended use, and the expected

max load you intend to carry.

This way, they can build it "right" from the start, with the

appropriate support for the hull.

It can be difficult to set up springs, etc, for "lightship" mode,

and then expect it all to work when you load it up with extra

gear, and tow it over hundreds of K's of dirt and corrogations.

If you have to invest an extra $200-$500, then so be it.

Better to have something that will do the job, will last,

and will also look after your pride and joy.

If it does fail and cause any damage, then at least you have

justified recourse to take the issue up with the manufacturer.

Good luck...

Harry.

pilchardjones
07-11-2006, 04:55 PM
hi dan,
we have bought a few belco trailers at work (commercial diving company). we have been very happy with them. we havent broken one yet and we break a lot of others. 7m and a heavy duty box trailer for a dive trailer.
i was happy with what i saw and bought a belco for my own 445 haines project boat.
i haven't towed any real distance with it yet but am happy with the apparent quality and price (about 2000 i think delivered to townsville). rian bell is easy to deal with.
steve

pilchardjones
07-11-2006, 04:57 PM
my belco

pilchardjones
07-11-2006, 04:58 PM
promo photo from belco of the trailer i ended up buying

Chris Ryan
07-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi, I got a Belco custom for my 18.5' half cabin. Boat and motor weighs around 800-900kgs and the trailer is superb. The boat sits low and flat on the trailer and you hardly feel much in the way of movement towing it. I have to tow for about 1hr to get out around Jacobs Well in QLD and its great. Highly recommended from me!

Puff

SeaSaw
07-11-2006, 08:53 PM
I have a belco under a Haines 680. Its a 93 model and still going strong at 13 years of age. Not too many trailers will last that long ;)

I replaced the springs and tyres for the first time only a month ago (preventative maintenance). I did go through and replace most of the bolts a couple of years back as well.

Apart from that I have had no significant problems with the trailer, just general maintenance on brakes and bearings etc.

Cheers,

Mark

HarryO
07-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Just to add..

Mines a '97Phoenix custom built drive-on...

Multi-rollered quads and pairs (25 in toto)

14" gal steel wheels with 10ply light truck tyres,

for a 17' pressed alloy cuddy...(650kg)

Definately overkill for the job it has to do.

The road to the Cape is LITTERED with broken trailers..

Harry..

davo
08-11-2006, 09:14 AM
I have a Sealink on my Fisher but my father has a Belco on his AMM and if given another choice I would definitely go for a Belco.

Rod_Bender
08-11-2006, 06:31 PM
i have just ordered a 4.3 standard trailer and all investigation seemed to hold them in high hopes. Will provide later feedback once i have loaded my boat on top of it.

Wear_the_fox_hat
08-11-2006, 11:18 PM
I bought a Belco a couple of years back, with parabolic springs, & I am extremely happy with it. It carries a 5.2m Quintrex & the quality & build of the trailer is excellent.

WTFH

Rod_Bender
04-01-2007, 03:17 PM
had my belco trailer now for a few months and seems well built. Tow's a lot better then my older Redco trailer. So far really happy.