PDA

View Full Version : Modifying front windscreen area for standing room

Smelly
31-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Hi Team!

Here is my next journey..

Aim - to stand up and steer/control boat

Method - to modify current front area

Some thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated..

I am thinking of cutting off and use existing fiberglass seat boxes for new front console/bulkhead - somehow..

See pics..

Smelly
31-12-2006, 08:40 PM
pic2

Smelly
31-12-2006, 08:41 PM
pic3

Smelly
31-12-2006, 08:41 PM
pic4

Smelly
31-12-2006, 08:42 PM
pic5

Smelly
31-12-2006, 08:42 PM
pic6

Smelly
31-12-2006, 08:44 PM
I am willing to cut up exisiting console as well.

I don't need the fuel, speed guages as I have the GPS/sounder to utilise that for..

Smelly

Chimo
01-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi Smelly

When you have used the boat for the range of uses that you want a boat for would be a better time to start cutting up and rebuilding what you have.

Prepare to spend quite a bit to do it well so that the boat has some $ value afterwards.

Standing back and looking at what you have; which is similar to what I started with, so I'm kind of talking from experience in my own case over a number of years (you dont get to be a GOM overnite!); you could find you make a number of changes that still do not get you what you want. And what you do end up with has a much reduced value on the second hand market.

I guess what I'm not so subtley suggesting is that you hold off for a while, use it and if it is not suited to your needs sell it and move into a boat that is closer to what you needs are.

You would have to be smarter, richer more luckey than most of the rest of us if you ever end up with the perfect boat.

Its all about compromise, sort of like the resigned benevolence that is the relationship with your M In L rather than ..................

Looking forward to see where this thread ends up............. it could need a whole new section, Smellys Journey perhaps?

Cheers

Chimo

Smelly
01-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks Chimo.

What did u end up doing then to your boat?

Do u stand up comfortably when u steer?

Pros and cons of sitting whilst steering..?

PS - I think u have a crush on my Mo In Law..

Smelly

gone_fishing
01-01-2007, 08:36 AM
g'day smelly
i think your playing with fire there smelly
i 100 agree with chimo
a high risk off spending a lot off dollars to achive almost and decreasing value off your boat
better to look for more user specfic boat
good luckwith any decission it will be a interesting project

although cutting the seats out will obtian a greater area as those seats do take a great deal of room
could fit removable pedestal seats ithink would be smik

happy new year gf

garpe
01-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi Smelly
Wouldn't it be easier to get a higher bimini top with zip up clears and if anything you might have to move your seat box to stand and steer or is it more room you wish to gain.

Smelly
01-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Tahnks boys.

I want to be able to stand whilst steering and at the same time have weather protection.

More room is also desired and cutting htose seat boxes out would not worry me..

Maybe I can utilise the fibergalss from the seat boxes for soemthing else too.

Smelly.

Chimo
01-01-2007, 08:57 AM
G'Day Smelly

Re each of you points

Q What did u end up doing then to your boat?
A I had a ski boat which is essentialy what yours is, when I was a lot younger and skiied more than a I fished. It was also better for pulling members of the opposite gender, both behind and into the boat! ;D
What I did change was added a bimini canopy and clears but nothing structural. That boat was a number of boats ago and they have tended to be more fishing orientated over time.

Q Do u stand up comfortably when u steer?
A In the ski type boat one stood very occasionally but particularly to let the water past that came over the screen in the large waves and rough seas that eventually made it clear that I might just be asking a little too much from a ski boat. :D
In the later boats, yes in uncomfortable chop etc we probably all stand up to reduce the compression of the back vertibrae and the subsequent ruptur of the discs. In some it works in some it does not.

Q Pros and cons of sitting whilst steering..?
A Better visibilty, easier on the back, less comfortable for long periods etc

Q PS - I think u have a crush on my Mo In Law..
A I learned years ago that you can learn a lot from an older person of the opposite gender. ;) Nuff said on that.

So where to now on Smelly's Journey? (aside from getting the motor tuned / timed when you get onto the right tech so its ready to use / sell)

Cheers

Chimo

Smelly
01-01-2007, 09:41 AM
NO way I'm selling... :o

THis boat is OK in chop isn't it?

That big deep-V should be good for fishing - should it not?

If I put another higher canopy/clears on and stand up, won't I be too high above the gunnel - hence nothing to hang onto / safety stuff and all that ?

Smelly?

PS - My cat is about to give kittens - gotta go!

Chimo
01-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey Smelly

What you have could be fine for years if you want it to be.

You could always get a pop hole sewn into what you have so you can stand up thru the roof / pop hole that you can zip up when you want a roof.

Thats the cool thing about boats; you can choose to never stop spending, the choice we make is to spend big, little or not at all till we then spend big and do it all over again. Its still cheaper than a divorce!

Chimo

Smelly
01-01-2007, 11:07 AM
HI CHimo - agree totally...gotta keep MUM happy!

Mum got a bit peed off last few days because I was showing more affection to my boat - I can understand that.

Today is family day - Cat is giving birth right now and a good way to start the new year..

Keeps Mum and daugheter happy anyway..... 8-)

I actually have pop holes sewn into both sides of canopy.

It's just when I stand up - my 6'2" body can barely hold the steering wheel.

THoughts?

Smelly

Roughasguts
01-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Smelly your boats fine as it is, you don't need to stand up to drive your boat, just need to get your head out the canopy, and see over the windscreen when it gets to salty to see through.

So I would sugest a extra height removable cushion for your arse to sit on and be comfortable, your canopy has a zip just to get your head out so all should be good for visibility.

I did that with me runabout and was pretty happy with it, even though I do prefer to stand.

See how it goes for a year or so, and then maybe invest in a bimimi, to give you some extra head room, if you can't live with it.

Smelly
01-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Phew!

My pussy just gave birth to four(4) new pussys - I am surrounded by pussy - I love pussy! ;)

The cutouts in each side of canopy are big enough to allow whole body through.

I still have concerns about standing up and nto being able to hold wheel properly. I want your help on this one..

THree(3) options - cut my legs off, raise wheel, cut recess in floor - What to do?

Smelly

Chimo
01-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Smelly

Crouch, when you need to. Just use the boat with or with out RAG's cushion and see how you go.

Chimo

Smelly
01-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Any links for the extra height removable cushion?

garpe
01-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Smelly
Have a look at the clears and canopy on Copie's V19R on page 44 of the " What type of boat have you got ?" thread at the top of the boating forum. These clears with a high bimini will probably work if you move your steering wheel up to where your gauges are now mounted.

cheers Peter

Smelly
01-01-2007, 02:49 PM
ok thanks - i made the reply...

Roughasguts
02-01-2007, 06:58 AM
You know Smelly i'm not real keen on back to back seating, okay if your skiing. How many do you take out in your boat ? Maybe toss the seats and put in two gas lift swivel seats for the front., then you got your self more fishing room down the back, and height adjustment.

Smelly
02-01-2007, 07:08 AM
Thanks Guts.

I am growing to dislike these seats as well.
They are awkward and take up room.

I know people will think if I remove these box seats, I will devalue the boat upon re-sale..do u think this will happen?

I do not intend to water ski as my 110HP donk is rated at the lower end for this hull - so any mor load will be a drag on fuel/perfoemance whilst towing someone behind..

I want to remove these box seats now and be done wiht it..

Semlly

Roughasguts
02-01-2007, 07:47 AM
smelly, a nice set of height adjustable swivell lift seats, would be good and probably add value to your boat.

Be nice to keep some sort of storage box there though, rather than just a pedestal like mine, that seems a waste of space.

Smelly
02-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks GUTS.

Did not quite understand your last few words on your last sentence....
"...that seems a waste of space..."

Are the storage boxes a waste of space or pedstal seats?

Smelly

Roughasguts
02-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Yeah what I have is just swivel seats on a pole, can't use the space underneath.
They would be better if they where swivell seats on a storage box, with access from the back, a couple of shelves and a door would be good, or even if you just use it for life jacket storage.

Smelly
02-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Ok - so would a good compromise be for me - in relation to good space and good storage?

Smelly

Chimo
02-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi Smely

Seats on boxs give you added height with a little storage under and a lot more space behind. You can always sit extra people / kids on padded eskys behind the seat on the box.

None of these changes decrease the resale as you can keep the seat on boxs and eskys and put the original seats back in when you move on to the next boat.

You probably need to carefully check the sitting height on a seat on a box to make sure its not too high for the screen when you are sitting, nothing worse than a wet breeze if you want to be able to get behind a screen for travel. You can always get salt and stuff off the screen to see just with a wet chamois.

Tried my guy re a Melb recemmended tech and sorry no help there. Guess your back to asking the right questions before you commit and hoping for the best. Be nice if any Ausfishers in the area could give you the benefit of their local experience.

Cheers

Chimo

Smelly
02-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Many thanks CHimo.

Actaully, I am thinking of removing at least the driver's seat box and have no seat at all - just standing - and when I want to sit - I can just sit on an esky or somehting..

Smelly

peterbo3
02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Smelly,
Once the seat box has been removed you can replace it using sailboat traveller track. This is a SS track with holes every inch or so which is fastened to your floor. Two lengths in parallel act like a little rail line allowing you to move the entire seat box back & forwards. Small spring loaded pin fittings attach to the seat box to secure it in the desired location. Glascraft & the like have them in the sail section.

Smelly
02-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Fantastic Peter.

What sort of seat is attached to this ?

Smelly

Wayne_Red
03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi Smelly
I have a small haines that I modified a little to suit my needs. I removed the back to back seats and I drive and fish standing. I take out a deck chair sometimes if I want to sit when fishing.

I removed the existing windscreen and replaced it with an aluminium wavebreaker. Better electronic room and grab rail.

I still have the old windscreen under the house so apart from the seats it can go back to origional easily for future sale etc.

I agree with the other fellows, know what you want in a boat before you modify it and then do minor mods to make the boat into what you want without modifying structure, consoles etc that can reduce the resale value of your boat.

I fish alone alot, beach launch alot and drive it hard so I set the boat up to do what I wanted. No seats etc does not suit most people of course so think about what you from your boat before you change it.
Food for thought only, hope it helps
Regards Wayne

Wayne_Red
03-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Inside view
Wayne

Wayne_Red
03-01-2007, 08:42 PM
A mates 17' seadevil from built in Ulladalla, built as is
Wayne

Wayne_Red
03-01-2007, 08:55 PM
17' Sydel craft built in Eden (old 17' haines mould)
These photos are just for interest of looking at stand up boats and wave breakers.

A thought on steering height Smelly, years ago I had an old 20' seafarer vedette runabout (no seats) that had a low steering height. It had an older syle steering wheel with 6 radial hand grips. It was perfect for taller people steering standing up as the diameter of the tip of the grips was a large and you did not have to stoop to drive it. Low steering heights are alway a problem for someone your height.

Regards Wayne

Smelly
03-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Great stuff Wayne.

Certainly food for thought..

Questions -

1) How did u overcome reduced storage capacity once seat boxes were removed?
2) Do u stand forward of the carpeted floored area in your boat?
3) Do u feel u are standing too close to front?
4) when u stand, do u feel safe on side (where does gunnel come up to your legs?)
5) Cost of aluminium wavebreaker?
6) Where/how do u throw your anchor from?

I think I can see in one of your photos the flared bit of floor coming in from side on drivers side. #I too have that design and it is a pain because I have to stand on the slant, knees bent and legs almost @ 90 degrees - shitouse situation - but then again - original design not for standing.. :'(

Smelly

Smelly
03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Regarding this older syle steering wheel with 6 radial hand grips - can u recall name of it?
I am after somehting like this indeed!

I have investigated larger wheels but the only wheel that comes close to my requirtements are those huge SS yaucht things..

Smelly

Smelly
03-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Smelly,
Once the seat box has been removed you can replace it using sailboat traveller track. This is a SS track with holes every inch or so which is fastened to your floor. Two lengths in parallel act like a little rail line allowing you to move the entire seat box back & forwards. Small spring loaded pin fittings attach to the seat box to secure it in the desired location. Glascraft & the like have them in the sail section.

Peter,
Went ti the Glascraft sote - no find. Can u provide the exact link for these sailboat traveller tracks?

Smelly

2DKnBJ
03-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi Smelly
I have a Haines 17R that had simmilar set up to yours.I have slowly modified to suit myy needs and now it is a more practical boat to drive and fish out of.
I have removed the b 2 b seats and fitted pedestal.This allows me to stand or sit whilst driving.I have also added a set of good rocket launchers with bimni,clear front and sides.
Will find a few pics for you.

Cheers Dazza

Smelly
03-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Tahnks Dazza.

Did you also remove the seat boxes and how do u make up for storage?

How tall are u and can stand comfortably while driving?

Smelly

2DKnBJ
03-01-2007, 09:48 PM
This is what it looked like

2DKnBJ
03-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Now have this

2DKnBJ
03-01-2007, 09:51 PM
another

2DKnBJ
03-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Smelly
I am not that tall but there is atleast 6ft 4in of clearance under the canopy.
I have added a floor under the front deck with side pockets.This has given me plenty of storage room.

Cheers Dazza

Smelly
03-01-2007, 09:57 PM
WOW -

Looks pretty awsome and practical!

Cost?

DOes it get hot underneath all that plastic?

What have you doen to your insides? Photos?

Particularaly of the driver's area?

Smelly

Smelly
03-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Here is what I am faced with when standing..

Note slanted floor area buts up to step(about 100mm deep) - right where my feet go..

So I have to turn my feet side ways to fit, crouch, etc..

Painful!

Smelly
03-01-2007, 10:00 PM
pic2

Smelly
03-01-2007, 10:00 PM
pic3

Smelly
03-01-2007, 10:01 PM
pic4

Wayne_Red
03-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi Smelly
Looking at your pictures i think it is also a haines?? maybe a 1650 or similar. in pic 6 it looks like the old haines badge just below the windscreen.

If yours is a haines, you don't get something for nothing, to keep the floor height as low as possible they have the about 5-6" of angled hull where it meats the floor. As you said a real pain to stand on or if you have your knees against the gunwall in a sloppy sea.

In answer to your questions.

1) I utilise the space under the bow and in the side pocket as best i can. eg. If you look in the side pocket under the throttle you will see a torch aeroguard, WD40, sharpening stone, fish scaler, cleaning brush and sunburn cream all in the one place, held in position with a piece of car tube screwed on the inside of the pocket so they are always there when I want them and held tight. Do things like that in the limited space you have and you will be supprised how much crap you can fit in the boat. And how much more pleasant it is fishing because you know where everything is. As with the mods to your boat, set up the inside to suit yourself.

Another tip, only take the crap you need and use and I go though it all every couple of months to cull out the stuff that just happened to get in there since the last time I did it. Although I am by no means anal about things I know what is in my boat.

2) I stand on the carpet just behind the blue fish box with the anchor rope in it. Fishing solo I have always retrieved the anchor over the side so i can motor up on the anchor, conect retriever buoy or whatever.

3) I feels just right for me, steering a little low (although i am about 5'9") but not uncomfortable. The top of the wave breaker is about nipple height and I can put my right arm on top of the grab rail and lean on it if you know what I mean when motoring around slow.

4) Feel very comfortable on the side, gunnel comes up to crutch height but from where I am driving I stand inline with the trottle and the screen comes past me with the grab rail to hang on to.
As i said, I push the boat as hard as I can in some ordinary seas and i have never felt it to be unsafe.

5) The wave breaker is built of 3mm ally, 25mm ally grabrail podercoated. I built it myself and my brother powdercoated it at his work so it cost me little.
Cost wise, if you had to have it done. about $200 for the ally, $150 for powdercoating, around $300-$400 for someone to fabricate it.

The seadevil and the sydel craft are fibregalss and factory made and come standard on those boats.

A little long winded but you seem like a bloke who wants to know as much as you can about all topics. Good on you.
Boats a learning curve most of us gain over a long period of time 20-30years, your learning curve seems to be going vertical at the moment. All good fun though eh.
I m not saying you should do what i have done, i am saying we are all different and use our boats for different things. look at a lot of boats and ideas and do what suits you.
Regards Wayne

Smelly
03-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks Wayne.

I like learnign what I can do to my boat and getting the best out of it.

Yes - Haines HUnter 530 SLR 1989.

Re: 5-6" of angled hull (meeting floor) - Can I cut away that portion of the 100mm vertical step for extra height - and nto affect structure?

THis step is part of the entire floor...

Smelly

Wayne_Red
04-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Hi Smelly
Here is a photo of the steering wheel in the boat I used to have. It was in the boat when I bought it 20 years ago. I don't know if you can still buy them. Great steering wheel for stand up though. Wow where did that 20 years go?

Wayne

2DKnBJ
04-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi Smelly
Couple of answers for you

Cost....Conopy,clears and launchers just under $3000

It is quite comfortable under the canopy as it is very open and certainly beats sitting in the sun all day.

I have taken a few pics for you.

Cheers Dazza

peterbo3
04-01-2007, 08:40 PM
http://www.glascraftmarine.com.au/ProdView.aspx?popup=1&Category=SXDH2440&Product=6603630S
Smelly,
This is the link. You may want to go into Glascraft again to eyeball it. The idea is to remove the entire seat box then remount it onto the track which will allow you to slide it back when you want to stand up & steer.

2DKnBJ
04-01-2007, 08:41 PM
another

2DKnBJ
04-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Under front deck

2DKnBJ
04-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Storage under floor

2DKnBJ
04-01-2007, 08:45 PM
This fuel tank is under the floor where you would normally have your feet