PDA

View Full Version : Baycruiser hire

first_mate
02-01-2007, 03:05 PM
My wife and I think we would like to buy an old baycruiser (like an old Halvorsen or Hartley) to boat about southern Moreton or the Broadwater on weekends.

We would like to try out this thought before we go ahead and buy one. Does anyone know whether you can hire baycruisers for weekends? Where would I look?

regards,
Angus

PinHead
02-01-2007, 06:06 PM
there is a mob at Horizon Shore that hire out 30' cuddles and 35' Honeymoons.

on-one
03-01-2007, 07:50 AM
About a year ago we wanted to do the same thing and after a lot of searching island seeker (the place pinhead suggested) was the only place we could find with boats rather than houseboats. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend them but they've sold the 30 and only have the two 35s now.

maxwell9
03-01-2007, 01:34 PM
There is also a place at the Runaway bay marina at Holleywell. I have not been there for some time but last I was there they had several of the Honeymoon/ Cuddle boats for hire.

first_mate
04-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the advice folks.

I checked out the Island Seeker website and noted their prices.

@ $900 for a long weekend I will think about how much I really want to sample a leisurely long weekend in a baycruiser!!

Regards,
Angus

PinHead
04-01-2007, 02:11 PM
LOL angus...I knew they were not cheap...I hired one about 15 years ago and they were 600 then

on-one
05-01-2007, 01:23 PM
$900 would be for the 35ft boat which had two double cabins so you could take another couple to share the cost.

Don't want to put you off the idea of a baycruiser but it's worth thinking about how much you'll use it. Even a very basic boat will cost abut 900/month and a lot don't seem to go out as often as once a month

PinHead
05-01-2007, 03:04 PM
$900 would be for the 35ft boat which had two double cabins so you could take another couple to share the cost.

Don't want to put you off the idea of a baycruiser but it's worth thinking about how much you'll use it. Even a very basic boat will cost abut 900/month and a lot don't seem to go out as often as once a month

the 900/month - what have you included in that ? That seems a bit expensive.

PinHead
05-01-2007, 03:05 PM
grrrrrrrrrrr.. double post

on-one
05-01-2007, 04:07 PM
I worked out the 900 a month based on yearly bills of 3.8k for a mooring, 650 for insurance, 1500 for maintenance and 500 for fuel + the cost of adding 60k to a mortgage. You could get a boat for less but it would probably need work and you could reduce your costs by using a swing mooring but they make using and working on the boat a lot more difficult.

PinHead
05-01-2007, 04:23 PM
I worked out the 900 a month based on yearly bills of 3.8k for a mooring, 650 for insurance, 1500 for maintenance and 500 for fuel + the cost of adding 60k to a mortgage. You could get a boat for less but it would probably need work and you could reduce your costs by using a swing mooring but they make using and working on the boat a lot more difficult.

disregard purchase costs and fuel and insurance as you will have that with a trailer boat anyway....about $5500/annum to keep a 30' boat in the water.

There are advantages associated with it...just drive to the marina...one bag and one esky to take on board..untie and go..no queues or ramp rage to contend with...more creature comforts on board..more room on board but it does come with a price tag attached.

on-one
05-01-2007, 04:40 PM
I agree about fuel and purchase costs if you're comparing to a trailer boat but they should be included if you're comparing to renting if you only use a boat once a month or less (and a lot of people do) it'd be cheaper to hire even at 900.

You're right about keeping a boat in the water though it's great but it costs.

first_mate
05-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Yes - the costs need to be considered, however, if I consider buying a baycruiser as opposed to a house at the beach - blaaardy cheap in comparison!! The boat broker at Horizon Shores appears to have a couple of nice looking baycruisers under $50k, but I would need to have them checked.Not thinking of buing tough for a nother 2-3 yrs. Still enjoy zipping around the pin, Peel Broadwater etc, and one thing Bycruisers don't do is zip :)

Thanks for the feedback

Angus