PDA

View Full Version : Test new boat or not???????

boogdude
06-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Got a new stessco 4.2 rv catcher. Have it already to go, was thinking of taking the missus and her younger bro over to st helena for a test. I've read that there is going to be 2.5 metre easterly swell. Would this be too rough out there? 1st time in the water with this boat.

If so might have to go to the goldie
what you think

frenzy
06-01-2007, 08:39 PM
mate if you are gonna take the full crew i wouldnt plan on a big trip
go in the river get to know what she will handle then you can plan bigger trips in better weather.If that weather forecast is correct you dont wanna be out there in a small craft anyway. you wanna get to know your boat well before any big trips.
good luck with the new rig

fishenmick
06-01-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm with Frenzy mate. If you are taking the missus and Bro out, take a leisurely trip in the river. Get to know the boat. Leave the rods at home and just enjoy the new girl in a safe environment. Good to learn the capabilities and limitations on your own (maybe with a mate, not the family).

Mick

Crooked
06-01-2007, 09:25 PM
I agree with the previous posts, easier to be in a calm environment where you can learn how the boat handles and also deal with any unexpected problems easily rather than bobbing up and down try to fix something.

As it happens I will be purhcasing a stessco catcher SF 4.2 in the next month, pretty much the same as the RV but without the rod locker and paintwork. What made you choose the stessco? I went that way due to the deep V all the way to the transom (deepest I've seen in this size tinny) 3mm bottom, good layout and reasonable price.

cheers, Evan

Pual
06-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi, I agree with the logic of the guys above get to know your vessel first before venturing to far, or go in tandem. But with the report you've given don't go out in 2.5 mteres of swell at all.
But I'm a little confused ........in saying St Helena do you mean the island out in Moreton Bay north of Green Island, if this is correct I have not read of a 2.5 metre swell out there, maybe during a cyclone but not this weekend.
If you want to get a fairly accurate idea of what the forecast will be for boating around Brissy go to Bureau of Meterology (BOM) or Brownies Coastwatch (which distinguishs between onwater conditions inside or outside the bay), or seabreeeze.
Happy boating hope you had a good voyage.
Cheers to being on the water anyway.