PDA

View Full Version : O.B. Pod. Comments please.

johnnytheone
05-01-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm in the process of tearing the stern drive out of my V19R, with the intention of mounting an outboard pod. I'd appreciate comments on whether the pod (which will extend 600 mm from the transom) should be :
1. A continuation of the bottom of the hull, and full width of the hull.
2. A unit that is clear of the bottom of the hull, and is mounted roughly in the centre of the transom.

I've seen both types on a variety of boats, and am wondering what the pros and cons are, particularly as far as ride and handling go.

Regards, John.

redspeckle
05-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Johnnytheone,
Personally I go for the continuation of the bottom of the hull and full with of the boat I have the full version and has made into a better boat
You be surprise how much better the boat handles with the extra length and the outboard is position better and give you more deck room in the back and I mange to use the extra space to store 2X 25 litre portable fuel tanks and a put live bait tank on top of it about 18 litre capacity and leave wash down hose store on the back and mounted the fuel filter as well (my boat is made out of aluminum and yours being fiberglass there is a bit of difference ) but i wouldn't go for a small pod just think the weight the of the outboard you have to carry on it least with a full pod weight go's over a bigger area
On top too get a wave or wash over the back hits the pod first and drains away keeping inside of the boat dry
This is my view other's will agree and not
Mitch ;)

wayneoro
05-01-2007, 06:48 PM
i agree i have two pods ec side of my motor 55ltr ec makes a world of difference the hull extension is a big plus stabilty plus plus you are making a larger boat

pilchardjones
08-01-2007, 01:08 PM
john,
i have posted these pics before when people have started pod threads.
not my boats but just photos i have. the pods are made by murraycraft fibreglass in mackay 49426400 and apparently they are a great success. they are bolt on - not continuation of the hull. lots less work.
there are a lot of 19 and 213 haines' around mackay with them on.
i used to have a 19R myself and always wanted to pod it, but the transom is still going strong now according to the new owner.
steve

pilchardjones
08-01-2007, 01:09 PM