PDA

View Full Version : Who sits down

blaze
24-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Just looking at a lot of runabout style boat and wondering who sits down to operate there boat.
The only time I sit is when fishing at anchor or drifting.
I find it a lot kinder on my bones if I stand, take the load on the knees and feel I have more control over my boat than if I was boucing around on the seat.
cheers
blaze

blaze
24-07-2005, 07:39 AM
My boat is 20' half cab

Dignity
24-07-2005, 08:42 AM
women sit, men stand

chemmy
24-07-2005, 09:46 AM
i stand too you can see better

saphire
24-07-2005, 12:47 PM
I find standing easier as well. I can see better when standing. Also I found that if I put my weight on the top half of my feet and relax my knees this acts as a bit of a shock absorber and causes less back strain.
saphire

Kiktz
24-07-2005, 01:57 PM
weather pending,

If Glassy sit back and Relax in open water/ Bay
Choppy or worse always stand up.

basserman
24-07-2005, 02:25 PM
half and half
when trolling ir just crusieing from one spot to another i will sit have a feed and a bit of a relax but i find if i'm pounding into it or going over say a bar i have better vision and control if i stand also as you can see better you can get going that much quicker
in the tinny however it is alway sitting back and enjoying it ;D

Cheech
24-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Looks like I am a girl :o [smiley=gorgeous.gif]

blaze
24-07-2005, 03:57 PM
just realised i sit in the tiller tinnie, so I also sit cheech

Brejen
24-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Stand also. Feel to have better control and visiblity when standing. Sit when trolling around and around and around...
Brett

trout3030
24-07-2005, 05:11 PM
No seats in the boat - so standing is way better.

Sportfish_5
24-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Do both depending on trip - why would you not sit down if your boat is riding comfortably, your helm position is first class and conditions allow. - No brainer :-/

Cheers

Greg

QldKev
25-07-2005, 04:45 AM
Sit all the way, except when the seas are rough and you need the extra knee shokies. I guess thats why I love the fibreglass boats, cause you end up sitting and enjoying the run.

finga64
25-07-2005, 05:15 AM
yep, it's official. I'm a girl!! ;)
Can't stand. I'll trip on the seat that's sitting behind the wheel and the little boat has a tiller so standing and operating is difficult :-/ :P

bidkev
25-07-2005, 06:11 AM
Stand. The catmobile came with an upright padded back rest. The padding sits neatly into the small of my back so I suppose that the boat was built with standing intended.

I removed it and replaced it with a seat because the back rest limited the fishing space and and an adjustable swivel seat was just right for facing stern when fishing. I don't sit when driving though and I'm thinking of re-instlling the back rest now that I'm one kid less and have a bit more space.
cheers

kev

seabug
25-07-2005, 06:27 AM
I sit when it is easygoing and stand when it is rough.
But find that even standing when the boat is going through choppy conditions it is hard on the back.

Would it be possible to build in a shock absorbing pressure plate in the floor to absorb the shock.

Any thoughts Col-s?
Regards
Seabug

bidkev
25-07-2005, 06:49 AM
I sit when it is easygoing and stand when it is rough.
But find that even standing when the boat is going through choppy conditions it is hard on the back.

Would it be possible to build in a shock absorbing pressure plate in the floor to absorb the shock.

Any thoughts Col-s?
Regards
Seabug

How about 2 holes in the floor, place the bottoms of 2 pogo sticks in these and then stand on the pogo sticks whilst driving? ;D ::)

cheers

kev

skippa
25-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Kev, ;D ;D ;D

Wow, why didn't we think of that ::) ;D

Cheers,
Tony 8)

bidkev
25-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Kev, # ;D ;D ;D

Wow, why didn't we think of that #::) # #;D

Cheers,
Tony # 8)

Kos yor not klevur lyke wot I am :-)

ScottB
25-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Hi Guys,
These days I'm a sitter. The helm on our boat is really designed to be sat at but when in the smaller (6.0m) boat that we owned until recently it was stand most of the time when travelling. Or often a case of using the seat to just lean against and only sitting down properly when trolling.

Scott

skippa
25-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Kev,

[smiley=idea.gif] it must b eatining all them rays and catties wot makes u klevurer than us lot ;D ;D ;D

Needmorerum
25-07-2005, 04:16 PM
In the tinny, it's sitting only as it's tiller steer, in the big boat, It's sitting if the water permits, standing and leaning back against the seat when it's rough. I also stand when I need to see what's going on as it's easier than looking through a windscreen.

Corry

NQCairns
26-07-2005, 04:32 AM
Up here with all the stuff in the water like logs/branches and just stuff from the wet season outflows also turtles and seasnakes dodged fairly often I am going to trial a single pedestal leaning post with no other seats in the boat except a couple of bean bags for while underway and some type of sturdy foldaway chairs for when fishing.
It is nice to sit when conditions allow and get the wind out of my face.
What are your plans Blaze?

blaze
26-07-2005, 05:29 AM
Hi Nq
I put a 300 mm section under my screen which is made of glass, if I sit I cant see, thought i may put a small port hole in the front. If I have been working an area for a while, some times I zoom the gps in and follow the snail trail but mostly stand and swing the seat steen ward when drifting and on anchor. When I stand my head is below the hieght of the screen.
cheers
blaze

bidkev
26-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Kev,

[smiley=idea.gif] #it must b eatining all them rays and catties wot makes u klevurer than us lot #;D ;D ;D

Skippa me poor old misguided mate :o..........If I *really was* cleverer than you lot I wouldn't be catching bloody rays and catties ;D

cheers

kev

Billo
27-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Sit ....except when bar crossing or searching for tuna

but that is the tiller steer . too damn dangerous too stand .
Was runnign out amity last winter ...full throttle standing , hit a little chop , then engine went sideways as i was standing my weight helped push the boat in a loop and i went flying out of the bastard ! never going to let that happen again .

I much prefer standing ...but just can't risk being tossed again !

chuss
27-07-2005, 09:40 AM
I sit all the time coz i'm lazy...

saphire
28-07-2005, 03:40 PM
How about 2 holes in the floor, place the bottoms of 2 pogo sticks in these and then stand on the pogo sticks whilst driving? #;D ::)

cheers

kev

Kev thanks for the great idea [smiley=idea.gif]
My husband has a job this weekend now.

Kirkan
23-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Hi Everyone!

This subject is very close to my heart.
I am trying to kick off a business manufacturing a seat to fully cater for standing as well as sitting while driving your boat.
I'm looking for a company who would like to take on the seat as their own product by way of buying the patent or buying an exclusive license.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.

I'm wondering if someone could tell me how to post pics here, as I'd dearly love to get some feedback on the seat.
It is very good at what it does.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Kirkan
23-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Done. Thanks for the help.

I look forward to hearing peoples' views. :)

Kirkan
23-08-2005, 06:08 PM
OK, what happened?
You with drew your post oscar? :o

Any problems?

imported_admin
23-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Have a read through the help section for info on resizing and posting pics

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?board=Chathelp

ba229
23-08-2005, 06:17 PM
yep. i got your email and now i shall work on posting it for you.

just didn't want ever dero in the world spamming me from now on because they got my address :-)

I should have the photos up for you later. I am a little busy at the moment but will do it when i can

Kirkan
23-08-2005, 06:23 PM
yep. i got your email and now i shall work on posting it for you.

just didn't want ever dero in the world spamming me from now on because they got my address :-)

I should have the photos up for you later. I am a little busy at the moment but will do it when i can

Phew, fair enough.
Confused me for a minute.
Couldn't figure out why you'd take my pics & run. :)

Kirkan
23-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Oh yeah, thanks Steve!

ba229
23-08-2005, 06:29 PM
yep sold the rights to it already and now I am of to the bahamas ;D ;D ;)

Kirkan
23-08-2005, 06:59 PM
yep sold the rights to it already and now I am of to the bahamas ;D ;D ;)

Find me someone who wants to buy the licence to manufacture & distribute them & I'll shout you a trip to the Bahamas. 8-)

damons33
23-08-2005, 08:38 PM
i have a pair of "soft rider" pedestals with relax seats mounted on top of a box on the floor to get the perfect hieght, they have a dampener in the pedestal so for all but the choppest conditions i sit and adjust my speed and trim for a comfortable ride.
;)
damon

bidkev
23-08-2005, 10:39 PM
<br><br>How about 2 holes in the floor, place the bottoms of 2 pogo sticks in these and then stand on the pogo sticks whilst driving? #;D ::)<br><br>cheers<br><br>kev<br><br><br>Kev thanks for the great idea [smiley=idea.gif]<br>My husband has a job this weekend now.

Did it work Saphire? Do I get royalties? ;D

kev

bidkev
23-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Considering what my deckie's just spent on me, I hope that I'll get to sit during all future trips :D

Can't wait to take delivery [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

kev

blaze
24-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Hi Kingtin
whats all this about the deckie spending, thought it was your indulgegence. LOL
cheers
blaze

bidkev
24-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Hi Kingtin
whats all this about the deckie spending, thought it was your indulgegence. LOL
cheers
blaze

Nah mate, the deckie controls the purse strings in this regard. ;D

It's a long story but when she got left a few bob she said that it would be nice if we had a boat that we could sleep in etc. I took her to look at the Bar Crusher but the cabin was too small. We needed a boat that could accomodate all 6 of us for days out but also something that we could use ourselves when the kids flew the coop. She dragged me round the boatyards and I thought she was gonna settle on a 2nd hand Monterray and then she spotted the Legend. Her being a very practical person she thought it would more easily accomodate our passion for fishing and the next thing I knew, she'd signed up for it [smiley=laola.gif]

She doesn't do things without first putting in a great deal of thought and she said that the Whittley, although more expensive than she was originally prepared to spend on a boat, was likely the best investment. .........that it wasn't "dead money" because it would not depreciate as much as some boats and would also be there for the kids as they grew older, if they wanted to use it. Seems she did her homework better than I did :o :D

Do I love her or what? [smiley=smitten.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

cheers

kev

blaze
24-08-2005, 10:04 AM
She's one in a million mate

swivels
24-08-2005, 10:16 AM
On a smooth day on Moreton bay I stand up for better vision instead of looking through a windscreen trying to spot fish working, crab pots turtles and those bloody plastic bags ect. but in realy rough weather sitting down is like driving a limo don't no if its the seat position or the signature hull or a combination of both.

Kirkan
24-08-2005, 10:29 AM
So can anyone see a benefit for a seat like this?

Kirkan
24-08-2005, 10:30 AM
That also does this?

nonibbles
24-08-2005, 10:49 AM
I'd love a seat like that but just one suggestion:

Install a feature that when you stand you're body is still the same relative distance from the stearing wheel as when you sit (ie. slides back a bit as it opens up). I often find that if I stand in front of my seat I am then too close to the stearing wheel. I then have to turn my seat a little to the side (diagonal) and stand in the old karate fighting stance - very sturdy but not very relaxed.
The main reason I stand is that although I can see the water well when on the plain, after a while the salt on the windscreen makes it very difficult to see. The other reason is the water is often bumpy and my seat is not gas/spring assisted making it not good for the back to stay seated.

If you need anyone to help test it send one my way! ;D

Kirkan
24-08-2005, 10:58 AM
I'd love a seat like that but just one suggestion:

Install a feature that when you stand you're body is still the same relative distance from the stearing wheel as when you sit (ie. slides back a bit as it opens up). I often find that if I stand in front of my seat I am then too close to the stearing wheel. I then have to turn my seat a little to the side (diagonal) and stand in the old karate fighting stance - very sturdy but not very relaxed.

If you need anyone to help test it send one my way! ;D
Check out the photos, it may be hard to see but that is one consideration I took when designing the seat, that's why the 'bum-section' rotates down, this allows the same relative postion for the driver when standing or sitting.
If any more fore or aft positioning is required, it's quite simple to fit some slide rails to the seat.

I'm currently exploring options to raise finance for the first major production run of the seat.
Would anyone be prepared to pre order one for just over cost, so I can get the ball rolling?
The down side is there would be a wait of around three months, the upside is, is that you'd be getting a bargain, trimmed to suit your boat.

What do you guys think of this?

basserman
24-08-2005, 11:25 AM
how is it compared to size of a bucket seat?

i ask because i have a 17footer that is used as a alrounder including skiing however i still need as much room as i have so couldn't go any wider in the seat than i have or much deeper for that fact
however they do look like a top ider and if it is the right size could be intrested

as it is a'm in the same situation as NN that to stand i need to swing the seat on the diagaionl and stand with feet either side but if i has a seat like that that flatens out of the way it would be great

Kirkan
24-08-2005, 11:53 AM
how is it compared to size of a bucket seat?

i ask because i have a 17footer that is used as a alrounder including skiing however i still need as much room as i have so couldn't go any wider in the seat than i have or much deeper for that fact
however they do look like a top ider and if it is the right size could be intrested

as it is a'm in the same situation as NN that to stand i need to swing the seat on the diagaionl and stand with feet either side but if i has a seat like that that flatens out of the way it would be great

The width is 550mm, the base length is 490mm (the back rest when in the sitting position projects back another 50mm at the top).
This seat has been successfully been fitted in boats from a 5m Carribean up to a 60 odd foot sailing cat.

The army has been using 6 of my first test run with no problems at all.

THERE IS NO WOOD OR STAPLES IN THIS SEAT.

Construction is from 4mm marine grade aluminium & 316 stainless steel componentry.
The covers zip on & off without having to dismantle the seat.

Kirkan
24-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Just so you can see, this shows just a bit of how versatile this seat is.
It can go on boxes, pedestals, low sitting position(tinnies etc), high sitting position, you can stand, you can half stand half sit.....

I am trying to get as much feedback as I can on this, so I'd appreciate any comments you guys all have, don't worry about hurting my feelings, just be honest.

Thanks.

snappa
24-08-2005, 04:25 PM
i sit why stand.... :)

Kirkan
24-08-2005, 04:59 PM
i sit why stand.... :)

Of course. If your boat allows for you to sit all the time, why wouldn't you?

BTW- what do you think of the seat?

westie
24-08-2005, 06:09 PM
I do what the sea conditions allow me to do, along with my body and 99% of the time it says stand up, due to the fact mine is only 4.85 in length, if it was bigger it may be differant, So it depends on the size more than anything

snappa
24-08-2005, 09:18 PM
yes..
i always said SIZE counts.... ;)

Smithy
24-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Was always a standing man coming from a lot of hours in a 5.5 Seafarer Cuddy, 18' JBS and a 15' centre console in my early days where sitting opportunities were very few and far between. That all changed when I got my Mclay, not just the ride of the boat but the way I mounted the seats. Having them mounted on poly ice boxes was unbelievable. The poly takes out a hell of a lot of the shock. In that case they were Icey Teks but Tropicals and no-name ones do the job and other mates have gone that way as well no. Great use of space in a boat esky seat boxes and done in poly you have built in shockies. After that and doing a bit of time in a few cats and bigger monos I am now a sit down man. Trim tabs also go a long way to making your boat into a sit down boat as well. They changed our 7m glass boat.

And no Damo I still couldn't get used to your suspension seats as I was still in standup mode back then. ;)

Lee,

pity you went with no seats in your Fisher if I ever get a ride. Have become soft. Too much hob nobbing around in Black Watches these days.

basserman
25-08-2005, 12:38 PM
ok kirk i measured the existing seats and they were 50cm odd deep and 53cm odd wide hight wouldn't be a issue and the only other thing would be haveing them donw to suit the existing coulor scheam

blowlow are tow pics that shows you how they are as they are and in the pic with my son doing the modleing you can see how tight a fit it is to stand so what do you think ya think you could help?

basserman
25-08-2005, 12:40 PM
and they will still need to funtion like they do as in swivle (they do slide now however i sure wouldn't be upset to lose that)

Kirkan
25-08-2005, 01:22 PM
The positioning looks right.
I'm just trying to think of the best way to determine how the seat will look in yuor boat.
I should be able to make up some sort of template to send you.

I'll get back to you soon on that.
:)

jman
27-09-2005, 06:30 AM
Hey Kirkan, i dropped you a line on a different thread, i will also try you on this one, very interested in purchasing one of your seats , please send me a private message with your contact details.

Bosunsmate
27-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Sitting and relaxing, why else go out in the boat except for relaxation.....

Oh and maybe catch something worth keeping.......this happens so rarely I figure relaxation is the primary reason for me owning a boat.....

Kirkan
14-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Hi again.

Wow! I'm just looking at the dates above. Has it really been that long?

For those who might be interested.

After so long I'm finally able to reveal that the OCEANFIRE helm seat is NOW AVAILABLE!!

The good people at SPRINGFIELD MARINE have taken on the licence & are now manufacturing & distributing the OCEANFIRE globally.

The good news is that the seat is even better than before;
There are two Highback designs as well as the original lowback design.

The construction & quality is stronger than ever & the pricing is even better.

Thanks to all of you who have shown interest previously.
If you would like a reminder on any aspect of the seats, post here & I'll put up some pictures or such.

If you are after pricing details & such feel free to contact Springfield Marine.

Many thanks again.

brettski3
14-12-2006, 06:00 PM
i got the softride gas pedestals in my 17 foot haines, i always sit, height adjustable to see over screen too, bloody awesome! also slide back for standing if needed

marlinqld
14-12-2006, 06:05 PM
If I had a bloody seat I would sit down :o :'(

Alas the old Ally Craft is bare of a seat so far...one day

Mike

plat-a-puss
14-12-2006, 07:23 PM
stand when on the move (better control and vision) only sit when things r slow and boring (which is most of the time lately) >:(

jeffrey_h
15-12-2006, 03:57 PM
With the number of 'floaties' that I've seen since we've been boating over the last few months, I always stand just to be able to see whats coming up. Remember the car axles/tyres floating in the Logan River a few weeks ago >:(. Dugongs, trees, crab pots, turtles ect ect.

Yer but I do sit sometimes as long as the boys' on lookout.

:)Safe Boating :)

Jeffrey

FREYR
16-12-2006, 06:13 PM
I've often wondered about this. It seems everyone I know only ever stands, unless really slow cruising whilst sounding around, or trolling. Seats mostly get a workout once we're at anchor and waiting for a bite.

I considered removing the seats altogether, opening up the room, and placing fold-down, or "slide-up~clickout" type chairs along the sides for exercising my behind on whilst baitfishing at anchor.

An icebox with a padded top forms another multi-purpose seat, though a little bulky...

I've hears of these RIB type "stand-up" seats also

http://www.dinkiedi.com/news%20letter%20seats%201%20cropped.jpg
The prototype straddle seats fitted to the Mini offshore were successfully tested in rough conditions recently, the seats are a variation, of the sort of seats that are fitted to RIBs (Rigid inflatable boats) or Jet Skis, which you ride much like a horse with the legs used for bracing and absorbing the pounding. (Some of the more serious RIBs have foot straps on the floor)

The seats will suit those who prefer to stand when driving, by giving them some thing to brace the inside of the thighs against, leaving the hands free to steer.

The seats are mounted on a shock absorbing pedestals which are fully adjustable for height.

Smelly
03-01-2007, 11:12 PM
i have a pair of "soft rider" pedestals with relax seats mounted on top of a box on the floor to get the perfect hieght, they have a dampener in the pedestal so for all but the choppest conditions i sit and adjust my speed and trim for a comfortable ride.
;)
# #damon

Damon - you have picis/links to this idea of seating?

Smelly

Murks
09-01-2007, 11:02 AM
well I have a seat and its used for sitting and i sit :)
about the only time I stand is at night then the visiblity is better due to glare on the screen from GPS and Sounder
Brett

Kirkan
25-09-2007, 10:25 AM
G’day all,

Just posting an update of the Oceanfire seats.
I’m finally at the stage where I’m now starting to distribute the Oceanfire seats and am spreading the word to people who have shown interest in the past.

I've posted the same message here too; http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=688689#post688689
but wasn't sure which thread would be better, maybe the admins can merge?

Unfortunately I was unable to do anything before because of the high manufacturing costs in Australia, I just couldn’t make them affordable for people.
My original plan was to be the manufacturer & distributor for the seats, but when the costs of manufacture in Australia made that unrealistic I decided to licence the manufacture & distribution to Springfield Marine.

Having done that, they have tooled up for the seat & even made improvements & so I am now able to distribute the seats at a very competitive price.

As you would know, Springfield Marine have established distributors here, but uptake for new products by them has been slow, so I have arranged with Springfield to have me as a distributor for the Oceanfire.

What I am doing is looking to fill an order for 50 seats to get production going in earnest, hence the reason for this post.
I am offering the first lot of seats at a reduced price to get things moving.

I have two demo models being sent by container from Springfield, they will be here in a couple of weeks, at that time I’ll be able to provide pictures of the low-back model & the new high-back model. I’ll also be setting up a basic website to show the info from.

I'll answer any questions you may have, also if you're interested in helping me get things moving, please PM me & I'll give you my contact details & the pricing for the first lot of seats that will enable me to get things going.

I'm not sure what the admins would think of me doing the full pricing thing here, so if you are interested, contact me for further details.

Thanks!

reidy
25-09-2007, 11:41 AM
good day all,
Sit in my 4.1 tinnie (tiller) but suffer from the good old boat back in the chop.
Must be getting bloody old had better upgrade the boat when i win tatts.
Cheers all
Reidy

Timfishin4fun
25-09-2007, 02:56 PM
sit down in calm water and only stand up if I think I need a better view. But stand up in the sloppy shit for sure.
Tim

Dean1
25-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Im sitting down alot more now that im back in a cat ;) Dont need to use my knees as shockies anymore 8-)

finding_time
25-09-2007, 09:00 PM
I started looking at this thread without noticing the dates of the posts, All those old members, got a tad nostalgic!!

Kirkan
01-10-2007, 11:07 AM
This is the best boat seat ever! 8-)
Sitting, standing, adjustable to your posture.