PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 40 or Mercury 40 Tiller

FishMarket
09-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Well it's crunch time!! The boat is a Poly 4.1 on a RM Trailer. I'm still tossing up on which motor is going on there. The Yamaha seems more refined but the Merc has another year warranty and is about 400 cheaper. I'm a bit wary of the Tohatsu's due to warranty issues that I have read about and don't quite have another 2k for a 4 Stroke. Any good points or bad points to help me decide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

Blackened
09-01-2007, 03:01 PM
G'day
Every one of those engines you mentioned are great.

Have a look at power trim/tilt in that size, would be a handy little tool to have. Personally i'd go the merc.

Dave

FishMarket
09-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi Dave, I have checked out the PT&T versions and it really is not worth it as for another 800 on top you can get a 4 stroke equivalent. It's either a 40 Manual everything or a 4 Stroke PT&T for the extra 2k. May end up sacricing the Bow Mount for the 4 Stroke yet ..... too many options!!!!

Cheers Matt

Blackened
09-01-2007, 04:54 PM
G'day
Fair enough then, If i were you and it sound like you are on a budget, go for the merc.... use the extra for a bowmount.

That way you have best of both worlds.

Dave

serene_lady
09-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Matt. As you aware that the merc is a tohatsu why not just buy a tohatsu, you can usualy get them another couple of hundred cheaper than paying for the merc lable. My last motor was a 40hp merc light now i have a 50hp tohatsu, never had a problem with either. Bob.