PDA

View Full Version : NSW boating rules

finga64
09-01-2007, 07:38 AM
Everybody thinks QLD is 10 years and 1 hour behind NSW but in regards to boating rules I don't know.
Just over the X-mas break I noticed a huge number of boats motoring faster and faster whilst getting closer and closer to us when we're anchored and drifting.
Some guys were getting full noise past us when they're only about 15m away. Very frustrating at times (Anybodybody know a boat named 'Westy'??) #:-[
I had a look at the Maritime NSW site and found they have NO rules in regards to speed when navigating near other vessels that are moored.
All they say is to slow down and from our experiences that is from 30 kts down to 29kts. And that's legal pending the skippers personal ideas on safety
On a plus though I noticed most of the boats with a Q on the end of the rego number behaved pretty well in this matter #:)
At least QLD have set speed limits at set distances from other boats so who's behind the times??
Here's the site
http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/onwater.html

Why can't the rules be the same Australia wide just so there's no confusion between the states?? :-?

Next time I go down I'm going to bung a target on the side instead of a smiley so they have something to aim for #:-/

aussiefool
09-01-2007, 07:59 AM
mate sorry to say ,but this time of year there is so many di :-X sorry clowns on the water it's not funny. that is one reason I try to advoid putting my small boat in the river

Ron173
09-01-2007, 08:12 AM
In nsw, they are supposed to be a min of 30m away from another vessel and 60m if they are towing a skier.

Take rego numbers and report nuisance offenders, if they are reported twice, they are up for investigation and possible licence suspension.

The trouble is no-one bothers to report them, so they continue to behave in an inconsiderate manner.

Ron

lee8sec
09-01-2007, 08:16 AM
In NSW above 10 knots you are required to be 30m away from a moored boat. Its all on the page you linked to. Leigh
Contact your local NSW Maritime operations centre for details of mooring areas.

When navigating near, in or through a mooring area:

drive slowly and keep wash to a minimum
keep a lookout for people in the water, small dinghies, and trailing ropes and
when travelling at 10 knots or more you must stay at least 30m from any moored vessel.

finga64
09-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Beauty, thanks fellas.
Looks like I didn't read down to the fine print and pretty pictures. Dopey me. :-/
Looks like a lot of others don't read down as well.
It would be worth a mention in the first opening sentence and it could possibly be better put ie
"A safe speed cannot be expressed as a maximum or minimum number of knots because it varies with circumstances and conditions" except as outlined below...... (or something similar to that)

I have yet understood why a drifting vessel is classed as underway. If the motor isn't going it's pretty hard to take evasive action.

What category do you fall into when your using a sea achor as as the boat isn't stationary and you have an anchor out or if the anchor isn't holding??

seatime
09-01-2007, 09:36 AM
The International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea,
Rule 3 (i) the word "underway" means that a vessel is not at anchor, or made fast to the shore, or aground.

The Collision Regs are written into Australian and all state and territory legislation that concerns marine operations.

Tasmanian (MAST) legislation for example uses another term "under power" which excludes drifting.

A uniform, Australia wide safety standard for recreational boating is in the making, maybe uniform speed restrictions is on the agenda too?

regards

gone_fishing
09-01-2007, 05:16 PM
i think a lot of the :-X have a big case of little d :-X syndrom and think they are tough to whip a skier at you
just to show off "see that guy in the tinnie s :-X himself when the ski ropoe almost cut his head off"
all you can do is report them and get the standard issue blank look foe waterways
but dont go and beat the :-X out of them at the boat ramp
holidays are the worst people just dont give a
ever noticed how jet skis are always near people swiming :-? :-? cheap thrills and no commen sense

gone_fishing
09-01-2007, 05:20 PM
i know there are lots of rules that are to make everybodies experince a good one on the water
the main rule i use "dont hit anything cause no one else knows what there doing either" ;D ;D ;D

all the best

wayne_cook
09-01-2007, 08:06 PM
hi finga I have read many similar posts about rules being broken and boats swamped by wash off larger vessels travelling to quick and close in the northern state.
I agree the laws should be uniform.
I would also like to only pay for my boat lic. once do u still get away with that one.
Probably won't be long till there are speed cameras on the water if the govt thinks they can make some money from it.
I think the summer hols are a good time to stay off the water in the buiser spots or go out around midnight and back just after dawn.
cheers bear

NAGG
10-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Summer Holiday periods suck #:( # They bring out the twice a year / new boaters + alot of dic%heads (just like snails , slugs & bad drivers when it rains)
I just saw the other day some jetskiers (guess the ethnicity??) doing donuts just off a boat ramp while others were trying to launch & retrieve # or last week fishos going through a no wash zone under the Como bridge at 25knts + #:o # #...... Regardless of the rules & licence requirements ..... it still boils down to what seems like UNCOMMON SENSE :'(
NAGG