PDA

View Full Version : The not so "orange" flag

DaMaGe
13-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Just read another thread about the Jet skier requiring help and was ignored;

That topic reminds me a little, in a far fetched way a few days after the new year; I was out fishing the deep water line mark of Mud Island, now there is a few contours boaties sit there to pick up a feed, I was probably 1 of 7 boats the furtherest out.

The tide changed and so did the way the boat sat on the water bringing the boat around so I could view many boats closer into the Island when I noticed that a boat sitting about 18ft from the actual island had a orange flag sitting on his aerial (what I had thought) but could hardly tell as the boat almost blended into the background of the island and I was probably one of the furtherest boats anchored away from me.

For the next 30 minutes this bothered me and I discussed with the 2 other deckies that someone should not have an orange flag as it similar represents that of someone in trouble, and when someone is trouble, you should go out of your way to see if you can assist. I gave the call to up anchor, I was going over to investigate this orange flag, it was either a distress signal or at least I could have had a few choice words saying the flag is irresponsible, we up anchored, well it was caught and a few revs later the chain broke or rather the D shackle came loose, damn deckies!!! and off we motored closer to Mud Island to this boat.

As we got closer I yelled out this was a V sheet, just it was sideways and it was tied to a fishing rod. I gave it some more revs and pointed my boat direct at them so they would know I was on my way, as I pulled up to this boat I asked what the problem would be "flat battery" hmm I have 2 battery’s both are deep enclosed in woodwork of my bond wood/glass half cabin, I could of at this time, said I cannot help you and motored off, however I would have lost endless nights sleep doing such a thing, tis just the way I am.

The boatie then had a bit of a snicker at me saying was I coming over to check the crab pots that were scattered all around him, what a remark, this nearly offended me, I did however tell him that his V sheet was not sitting the right way up, he then told me he had been in this spot for 1 ˝ hours waving the sheet around at all the closer boats, which makes me think that some people are just either caught up in there own boat and fishing and not looking around or people are fairly ignorant and unhelpful, god help us!

Any how’s, I got a cordless drill and disassembled half of my cabin, I had bit's of timber and screws laying around my boat while I disconnected and retrieved my second battery, I passed the battery over to his boat, and still it doesn't start! :(

It was just "click""click"click” noise, the type of noise that my work Holden Rodeo Ute and sometimes my own Boat makes when the Negative terminal is not holding properly or has a bad earth. He grabbed a set of jumper leads and connected it from motor direct to the negative terminal instead of using the wire harness in his own boat and it started, I think it would even start on his own original battery, but either way was started and battery’s were swapped back over.

The boatie was more then grateful othering a carton of beer and/or money but I was just happy to help him out other then the snicker that I was just coming to check out the crab pots, but all in all, I wouldn’t NOT help someone somehow, even in the slightest way, I would also expect the same treatment as what goes around comes around right?

As I lost my anchor when moving I had to motor back to the ramp and call it a day.

Please help someone in need no matter how much trouble it seems.

saurian
13-01-2007, 10:49 AM
DaMaGe, Hope your around when my day comes.
Well done.
Ta.

griz066
13-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Well done DaMaGe that is how boaties are spose to help each other out. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

bootyinblue
13-01-2007, 01:06 PM
I dont profess to have a great knowledge of National and International laws of shipping, but I distinctly remember something along the lines are that a master of a ship that is aware of another ship in distress MUST render all assistance that they can safely provide, and failure to do so is a criminal offence.

Remember the big hoohaa after the 1998 Sydney to Hobart when several masters were called to justify their actions in continuing on course past several yachts in distress.

Will look it up more when at work as have free access to all the legislation but I am pretty sure its there. Just would be a matter of is it only applicable in International waters, but then State legislation does not override Federal legislation etc...

Will get back to you.

TonyOW31
13-01-2007, 07:16 PM
About 4 yrs ago I was at jumpinpin and the weather started getting a bit snotty, listened to the radio and there was a storm warning, so we decided to motor back to rudy maas and go home. On the way back the leg siezed, so we anchored up and put out the v sheet. Everyone was heading back in, and we must have been passed by at least 150 boats who all ignored us.
In the end we called the vmr at Jacobs well and got a tow back in, and the vmr guys said the v sheet is as much use as a chocolate tea pot, and everyone ignores/doesn't know what it means.

SunnyCoastMark
13-01-2007, 08:51 PM
That's a point - the 'V' sheet doesn't make sense.

Why 'V' - what does it stand for anyway?

What is wrong with 'H' for help?

or 'E' for emergency?

Always something I've wondered about?

Mark

redspeckle
13-01-2007, 09:42 PM
DaMaGe,
I done some thing about 18 months ago with boat at Pots Point gave him one of my batterys (lucky have duel battery set up followed back to vic point (I put in at Redland Bay) took my detail's said going put something in the mail but never head from him again o'well thats how things go ( I was little bit annoy by it ) at least got the favor return to me just recently when both batterys when flat at Amity Banks and got tow back to Amity point and and was jump started from a 4wd vechile I want give something for the bloke for helping me but diidn't want anything so Now I help any Boatie
so I hope the favor gets return to you DaMaGe ;)
Sunnycoastmark good idea there in your post but think has something to do with international mairetime rule and regs having the V on the sheet

Mitch :)
Safe Boating

Decimator
13-01-2007, 09:51 PM
That's a point - #the 'V' sheet doesn't make sense.

Why 'V' - what does it stand for anyway?

What is wrong with 'H' for help?

or 'E' for emergency?

Always something I've wondered about?

Mark

V is the international letter for distress

Camo
14-01-2007, 08:03 AM
DaMaGa, good on ya mate, it always comes down to the golden rule doesn’t it. You'd like to think you would be treated the same way if you were in that position. Hopefully you would be.

As far as useless signaling devices are concerned next to the V sheet in the useless category would be the mirror. If someone was using it would you even recognise it or would you just think it was the sun was shining off a windscreen or something. I guess the radio epirb or flares are the way to go.

Camo

seatime
14-01-2007, 09:24 AM
as booty posted it is the obligation/duty of the master to render assistance to another vessel in distress.

here's some laws to reference:

United Nations Convention on the Law Of the Sea, (UNCLOS), Article 98; Duty to render assistance.

United Nations Convention on Safety Of Life At Sea (SOLAS), Regulation 10; Distress Messages - Obligation & Procedures.

Australian Navigation Act 1912, Section 265; Obligation to render assistance. The Navigation Act carries a term of imprisonment of 4 years for failure to render assistance!

Can't find anything specifically written into Qld legislation & regulations, though usually if it isn't mentioned the Nav Act is followed.

V sheets are required safety equipment in Qld for vessels operating in Partially Smooth and Open Waters.
Internationally recognised Distress Signals, there's about 17, are listed in Annex IV of the Collision Regs and in the International Code of Signals.

regards
Steve

seatime
14-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Oh, by the way, well done DaMaGe [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Dr_DRIFT
14-01-2007, 05:08 PM
I am only a newbie to recreational boating and fishing but my father is/was a professional Master fisherman. He told me that it is illegal to leave a boat in distress. If u are the only boat in sight, U must help(if in immedite danger) or atleast radio for help(if not in immediate danger) and stay with the destressed boat until the required help arrives... Even if it won't illegal(which it is). how could U just go by and not help??? I for one could not do it, if something was seriously wrong, how could U live with urself??

Angla
14-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Just one thing maybe DaMaGe. It might be wiser to set off a smoke flare to get attention rather than the V sheet.

I always dispose of the 2nd older set unused when I get a new set, but I keep the first old set. That means I would not have to but new flares just because of that occasion.

You did the right thing by helping.

I have gone out of my way before and would do it again without hesitation.

Chris