PDA

View Full Version : pro's and cons of 15hp outboards

blaze
15-01-2007, 01:05 PM
thinking about picking up a new 15hp outboard, things that interest me are cubic capicty, size of water galleries etc. from what I have found thus far is suzuki have largest cubes, definitly be a 2 stroke of the old simplistic design.
cheers
blaze

Noelm
15-01-2007, 01:20 PM
I think most all small Outboards are good, I was talking to the guy who looks after the local Surf Club motors the other day, and if ever a motor is going to be "tested" I guess they will do it real good, and he said the Tohatsu motors they have are fantastic, so maybe have a look at them as well, by the way, I have never owned one, so, I am not trying to tell you how great mine is! they had a couple of Yamahas as well, but they kept breaking the Tiller somehow, so they do not get them now, but who would torture a motor like a "clubbie" in a rubber duck huh! OH and of course the have 25HP, but still maybe something to think about, go and talk to your "local" and see the guy who fixes them.

blaze
15-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi Noelm
spent all morning on the ph to the local reps of all major brands, sick of dribble and why this is the only one to get. Might even look at them cheap chinese replica yamaha's, osprey they come at about 75% of the cost of the cheapest brand outboard. The 18hp tohatsu has been the best price thus far.
cheers
blaze

finga64
15-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Blaze I have a 25hp Tohy and the bloody thing is indestructable. It's a 2000 model and I cannot believe the physical size of everything in it like gearbox bearings and gears (I was told there the some gearbox as a 40hp but don't know about that and I know the size because I rebuilt it a couple of years ago). The simplicity of everything is also a winner in my books. ;D
It had the conversion done to a 30hp and goes like the clappers.
I only took it off the boat to put the Honda on as I needed electric start because of my hand otherwise it would still be on.
The cook wants me to sell it as it hasn't been on a boat for awhile but the bloody thing is too good. But it's been sitting in the shed too long and the Honda isn't going to stop...so :-/
So in short I would not discount the Tohy and anybody who wants a good 25hp Tohy send me a PM.

Noelm
15-01-2007, 02:29 PM
yeah blaze, I guess the dealers all tell you theirs is the best "because" I have a 20 Merc and had it for 9 years now, it goes like a dream still, was kind of skeptical about the throttle shift setup, but now I love it, never been a "Merc Man" but I got it cheap from a boat show leftover display and could not go past it for price, and I never regret buying it, but the Surf Club guys swear by the Tohatsu and it has been sunk twice now, still runs like a charm

Menion
15-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi blaze, i have an 18 hp tohatsu, and she is a little rippa. It keeps geting more and more powerful, I have it running on a 3.5m tinny, and i think it is way overpowered. I look after the motor well, and have never had trouble with it. I tends to flood if you arent carefull with it, but a few pulls is all you need to start it after that. Its had about 20 hours on it, the guy at the dealer told me once i get 40 odd hours on it ill get full power out of it, as long as i look after it. I think i may need a bigger boat soon, Its getting quite scary, i give most boats out there a good go, you should see the look on their faces when i pull away from a 20k plus boat im my little $1000 tinny.

blaze
15-01-2007, 04:04 PM
At this stage I have been quoted $2210 on the 18 hp tohatsu, seem like a simplistic sort of motor and thats what I want. Putting it on a 12 foot brooker tinnie.
cheers
blaze
ps
after thoughts, how big are the water galleries in the tohatsu's, any one had a look

Blackened
15-01-2007, 04:28 PM
G'day
Blaze... I imagine thats a pretty good price.

I bought my 9.9 merc new back in 2000 and was quoted from $1950 through to $2200. Ended up buying for $1670 at the boat show.

The 15 was about $2300+ just for intrests sakes so for you to get a tohey18 for that price is a good buy. Don't forget the merc 15 super is a tohy 18 aswell.

Dave

daz35
15-01-2007, 04:52 PM
i had the merc 15 super on a 375 stessco couldnt fault it top little motor never gave any trouble and always started first pull

blaze
15-01-2007, 05:00 PM
merc 15 $2300
yank merc 15$2500
johnson 15 $2600
yami 15 $2572