PDA

View Full Version : Spectra Rope

Ron173
16-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Reading sea raiders post on winches prompted me to ask a question, so without hi-jacking his post, heres a seperate one, how often do you / should you replace spectra rope or equivelant brands of winch rope?

They all say UV resistant, but mines only been on about 7 months and is fading pretty good, so I'm kinda thinking it might be a yearly replacement.

The thought of it letting go and my boat doing an unscheduled re-launch is a concern.

Interested to hear other peoples replacement plans?

Rgds

Ron

Stuart
16-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I hear what your saying, like any rope though it will eventually breakdown in the UV. I don't understand why you would want to use spectra for winching purposes in the first place. What is your reasoning behind it? Stainless wire is by far the best and safest to use as winch cable.

Stu

Ron173
16-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Stu,

original winch had cable, which kinked and twisted.

This stuff is strong light weight, not exy, and no sharp bits.

Ron

timddo
16-01-2007, 03:24 PM
i've got spectra rope as well, it seems good compared to the wire ones. UV - mines fading too.
Just on the topic of UV.. What about poly boats, UV treat, but if spectra ropes have some UV effects, then will poly boats, I can imagine having a boat that will fall to peices once it hits its maturity. I've seen a buck just breaking to pieces when left in the sun too long.

aaron_gilmour
16-01-2007, 03:55 PM
awesome stuff and much better than metal cables. Dont worry about the colour fading as its just like braid, the colour will fade. I would replace the stuff until you have cut strands which is unlikely unless it had hit something sharp under tension. It is easier to handle, dont have sharp little stands that stab your hands like metal cable.

The stuff is really strong for its diameter as well. The only downside is it can slip on the winch if not laid with tension.

cheers

Aaron

cbs
16-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Spectra rope has a cover and a core. The cover protects the core from abraision and sunlight.

The core is where the strength is.

seatime
16-01-2007, 04:07 PM
on ebay is a 305m roll of 4mm, 316 grade, 7/19 strand stainless wire for $300. ideal halyard or winch wire.
that could make 38 x 8m winch cables at under $8 each.

just curious as I'm getting fed up with my strap, how much does the Spectra cost?

leezor
16-01-2007, 04:09 PM
The steel wire on my winch broke when I was winching my boat from some tyres after doing trailer repairs.
Put Spectra on and found it to be brilliant, winched the boat from the tyres without a problem, no way I will go back to steel.

finding_time
16-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Spot on Aaron! ;)

Dont worry about the fading mine is faded but still strong with all strands intact! I know of rope on trailers that are are 5 years old and know problems but i think i'll look at replacing mine in the next year as it will be 4 years old then.

Stu

I had a bit of trouble trusting the stuff at first but it's just fantastic to use and as long as it doesn't get full of sand( This can cause problems i believe) it really is the go for winch cable, much stronger and more user friendly than staino cable. I have also noticed that a lot of the competition 4x4 extreme winch challenge guys are swaping there steel cable for spectra rope for it's strength, easy of use and lack of weight the last not being an issue in boating. If there were any issues with the stuff these guys would know as there 24volt higher speed 12000lb winchers really test the stuff out. ;)

ian

trilogy
16-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Ron
My winch spectra is 5 years old white and has been dragging a 5 .5 trihull and now a 599 poly,it was so good I kept when i traded the old boat in. It is white but still looks in good condition and if it busts one day I will tie it together with a reef knot and keep winching. As boatig accessories go I consider it one of the better purchases.

Ron173
16-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks for replies,

Sounds like everyone loves it and dont worry for a few years.

We might even have some converts on our hands!

Cost, mine was about $40, avail most good boat dealers, think bias does too, but then you got postage.

Ron

crazboutfishin
16-01-2007, 05:29 PM
We have had spectra rope on our trailcraft for around 2 years and it has faded a little bit but has been excellent.

Cheers
Crazy

Heath
16-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Comming up to 4 years now using spectra rope on my electric winch. Absolutely love the stuff.