PDA

View Full Version : Teemburra Barra

Neil_c
03-12-2002, 08:11 AM
This 70cm model took away my thumbprint http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm31.gif and almost my lure http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gif. One of nine caught recently on Koolabung minnows on a bright sunny day. Neil :)

Jack_Lives_Here
03-12-2002, 08:30 AM
Top pic.

Did that come out of that hell timber in the right of the pic Neil???

Neil_c
03-12-2002, 05:30 PM
Hi Dave

The wife and I were fishing over sunken lantana when a casual flick into that ugly bunch of sticks to the right of the leccy motor had this fella come out to play.

I have been using 20lb braid but will probably have to step up to 40 :-/

The first official Barra of a metre+ was caught from this dam in September. The average size is around the low 60's so in the new year there will be a few more thumbprints gone :)

Neil

big_george
04-12-2002, 06:34 PM
Great fish neil
fished faust in oct,landed and lost our share of barra in the timber.Ended up with 45 between 60 cm and 118 cm[yep 118] over a 8 day period.Had our most success casting into and around the timber,with the Koolabung super live bait[ 105 mm ] best colours were sliver scale and the gold scale pattern. Gold Scaleraza,s preformed well .When the wind blew to much in the dam, we fished the rivers and creeks around prossy. The best lures,koolabung 80 mm live baits in the flo orange, the grey ghost got its share. My fishing mate swano[ cod father] had good catchs on the 90 mm livebait in flo orange as well.I think its still in his tackle box. Will be fishing Faust next oct,hope to make a run in to teenburra for fish.Will be fishing with the chap who makes the koolabungs[eddie studman]
P.S love the timber in the photo, makes for interesting fishing.could you give me the low down on the dam.??/
regards big george

Neil_c
05-12-2002, 03:47 PM
This site of Fitzy's will help a bit http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/Teemburra.htm We found things to be a little slow up to last year, when the Barra started to really came on. The spot to look was anywhere there was drowned lantana, but we found good numbers around weed beds at the back of small bays. This was also a good area to get them on fly. I will try around that timber and may even land a few http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gif

Faust seemed to have a few coming in over the winter where ours stayed very quiet. Once the water started to warm up it was on for young and old.

Fav lures for us have been the Koolabungs but plenty of others are working as well.

The Sooties are usually an early morning affair with some deep bellied fish in the high 40s very welcome. Surface lures and flys work well here.

Any how I hope this helps. Also we are releasing our latest batch of Barra fingerlings here this weekend. Some for Eungella and Kinchant as well.

Neil :)

Fitzy
06-12-2002, 04:15 PM
Neil,
I must confess to never having fished Teemburra. I was to be up there in October on my way to Faust again but plans didn't work out. Anyway, is that map a reasonable one of the dam. It was supplied by a relo of up there who got it from another mate.
If you come across anything with more detail, please let me know & I'll get it up there for folks to use.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

big_george
11-12-2002, 02:59 PM
G,day Neil
Thanks for the reply.Fitzy,s site on Teemburra didn,t have enough info for a fish head like me.
redards big george ;D

Fitzy
11-12-2002, 03:40 PM
G,day Neil
Thanks for the reply.Fitzy,s site on Teemburra didn,t have enough info for a fish head like me.
redards big george ;D
George,
If you find anything better please let me know. Only do the best I can with what info I have available. Sorry my site wasn't good enough.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

big_george
25-12-2002, 03:04 PM
Neil.C.
Getting some Koolabung lures ready for teemburra next year.My boy is only 9 so hope to give him start on the smaller teemburra first,then head up to rumble with the faust ladies.What size and colour would you suggest.We had success on the 100 mm gold/silver in Faust.Did really well in the salt with 80 mm orange and the natural.Did you try and order 15 green koolabungs. from eddie?? ;D
Have a happy christmas.regards big george. ;D

Neil_c
25-12-2002, 06:15 PM
Big George

The most common size we use is the 80mm with chartruese over white our fav. Other colours to get us a few have been pink, red/brown and all white. Trolling has been more consistant lately and the 100mm deep diver has been a winner. The water level has dropped around 20' or so and the islands appearing are holding both Barra and Sooties.

I would have replied sooner but have
just got back from up there. Casting to the timber drew a blank but trolling around the islands got me 2 Barra to 66cm and one Sooty at 41cm, all were taken on the 100mm lure in pink over white.

There is a new Koolabung called a "Live Bait" and looks the goods for the larger Barra to come.

Have a spectacular Xmas
Regards Neil :)

big_george
29-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Neil.c
Just back in town,thanks for the lure info.Will be seeing eddie studman [koolabung lures]in a few weeks,so will get some lures in the above colours.Thanks . ;D
Have a fishy new year and may all your fish stay connected.
cheers. ;)
BIG GEORGE ;D

big_george
08-01-2003, 03:43 PM
Neil.c
thanks maaaattteeee ;D
getting eddie to make me some livebaits in those colours.Will be fishing teenburra in late september this year.
cheers.Big George ;)