PDA

View Full Version : Snakehead

Mr.Ocean
05-11-2003, 11:24 AM
This is a 6.5kg Snakehead fish ;)

Nugget
05-11-2003, 03:43 PM
Not here in Oz - thank God.

If it was, it would be classed as a noxious species - in the same category as carp, talapia etc.

In their country of origin Asia / indo pacific they are popular - good eating fish.

In the USA a few have been caught in the Florida everglades, which has rung alarm bells - possible aquarium escapees.
I think your 6.5kg fish would be at the upper end of their growth.
I have heard they eat even their own species if smaller than themselves - what do they fight like and what did it take?

Dave ><>

TimNQ
06-11-2003, 03:33 AM
I believe hes in thailand. I noticed some very nice jungle perch photos from you aswell mr ocean. There an awsome fighting fish i reckon eh. You catch many up there?

Nugget
06-11-2003, 04:15 AM
It would be great to get over there and fish for some of these "exotic" species - you're lucky Mr Ocean - keep the photos coming.

Dave ><>

Mr.Ocean
07-11-2003, 08:11 AM
Hi guys ;D
I should call Giant snakehead fish or Thai name called " Chado" it's different from Snakeheadfish which thai name is "Chon" both fish have almost same anatomy but different in colour and size and test. I will show you how they are different later. ;)

You're right Dave! all snakeheads are are predators subsisting on fish,frogs and crustaceans.They rarely chase prey,prefering to attack from aumbush. Topwater lures are effective and elicit exciting,splashy strikes by these terrific top-water fighters. Thay are strong fighters,pulling #hard resisting vigorously when they hooked #and are likely for nearest submerge snag.
Yes Tim ;) each year I caught many many of this fish but hard to find bigone like this one everage size I caught is1-5kg., my biggest one was caught 17yeas ago weight about15kg , sometimes snakehead and jungle perch live the same area and was caught by the same lures.

Dave if you want to try fish snakehead let me know. 8)

TimNQ
07-11-2003, 11:59 AM
15kg. Thats huge.
I caught my first 2 jungle perch the other weekend and one was almost 50cm but im not sure on the weight. How common are the barra up your way?

Mr.Ocean
07-11-2003, 03:06 PM
Chado 4kg

Mr.Ocean
07-11-2003, 03:31 PM
Hi Tim
Your Jungle perch must bigger than this one this fish about 35cm long and weight about 1.5kg. 50cm is a big one ! rare find, congratulation :)

TimNQ
07-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Yea i was pretty happy with it, especially for my first jungle perch. What type of lures do you use for jungle perch over there? i caught mine on a small minnow in a small rock pool in a gorge called tully river. My mate who i was fishing with caught a fair few more than me and he was mainly using a popper.
Tim