PDA

View Full Version : sootys

staggy
27-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Inspired by Darren and Neils last trip to Eungella the young fella and I ripped up for a quick fish Sunday. We fished Sunday morning then sat out the heat of the day before getting chased off the water when some electricity started to fall out of the sky all around us in the arvo session.
We hit the water again at day break this morning. Brian nailed his second 50cm fish followed by a 49cm just after sun rise today. Not to be out done I managed to get a PB at 51cm and another 50cm. Lost 4 soft plastics to things I could not stop. Had a lot of double hook-up's which made things very interesting at times. For a change I used some hard body style lures this time as well. The surface strikes were great to see.
Brian stayed with rattlers most of the time. We managed a neat 50 sootys. I was ready to call it quits at 48 but Brian would not let me head home till we reached 50.

Staggy

staggy
27-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Double trouble.
Staggy

staggy
27-01-2004, 06:26 PM
My best so far.
Staggy

Neil_c
27-01-2004, 06:46 PM
That's tops Staggy [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] It doesn't get much better than what it has been like lately :) and another 50 & 51 - Darren will be pleased ;D

I'm sure gonna miss those bruisers :(

Neil :)

DRJ
28-01-2004, 06:16 AM
Hey Staggy - you have to stop sneaking off and catching those 50 plus fish without telling anyone your going.

Good on ya.

Darren

staggy
28-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Hey Darren,
No more sneakin up there I promise. Just like I promised to fill out my catch cards this year. It was hard to do it this trip as every time I started to record a fish Brian would nail another one. I thought he was going to catch all the fish. Our smallest was 29cm Off the rock wall. Could not raise a fish at the first spot we spoke about but things improved when we fished our usual spots. Talked to another couple of blokes in a tinny and they had not caught anything(well not that they were going to tell me about it seems). I gave them a couple of tips like get out of bed before 8am as they had just started to fish as we were heading back to camp. They didnt seem to keen on that idea. Oh well more fish for you and I. If every thing go's to plan (with work) I hope to be on the water at Eungella for the arvo fish this Saturday then do the Sunday morning before home. Not sure when I will get another shot at them as work is booked out for some time Im told.

Staggy

Neil_c
28-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Maybe we can get Staggy to input the catchcard data for me, no more excuses then ;) ;D

It's a pity we're busy this Sat arvo Darren, damn!!

big_george
28-01-2004, 04:45 PM
great fish boys.
Wish i was there. :P
Spots and lit lucifers #a.
What style of boat are you fishing out of,???
regards BG. ;)
PS. Neil aren't you in NZ yet ::)

staggy
28-01-2004, 10:23 PM
G-day BG,
The boat we fish out of is a Sea Jay 4.15 Castaway
with a 40 4-stroke Yammy and a Minn Kota RT 55AP bow mount. Iv had it since April 03 and I love it.

Hey Darren In an earlyer post I said if all go's to plan at work I will get an other shot at those sootys this weekend. WELL as usual everything has turned to s#*^ . Finish night shift Sat morning, start day shift 3am Sunday.BUGGER.
Might have to go to plan B. As soon as I think of a plan B i'll let you know what it is.

Staggy.

DRJ
29-01-2004, 04:44 AM
Staggy
Just as well I couldn't go then!!! How are you excel skills?

Neil
Good idea on the catchcard front.

Darren

Neil_c
29-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Soon B G soon :D It'll be waders and cardigans by the end of Feb :)

Manson
29-01-2004, 01:08 PM
I knew I should have gone up there instead of Teemburra. They are some good fish, we only managed a couple in the 40-45cm bracket and to get blown away twice. Maybe this week end. What size plastics are you using(If you don't mind me asking)?

staggy
30-01-2004, 02:07 AM
G-day Manson,
Im using the three inch Storm Wildeye Shad's ($10 for 6) but nailed some good fish on red and gold Cal Shads (made by D.O A). You pay around $8 for a pac of 13 Cal shads(three inch). But the jig heads are 3 for around $7-50. So instead of buying the jig heads I recycle the heads out of the storm shads when the sootys destroy the plastics. They work great so I get two uses out of Storm heads.
Hope this helps.

Staggy.

Neil_c
30-01-2004, 03:33 AM
I don't use em much but the Sooties have grabbed a few squiggies for me, makes a mess of em tho.

After they are torn up a bit, can they be repaired?

Manson
30-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks Staggy, just comparing to my own experiances with colour. I have got quite a few Barra out of Teemburra (from the open bays) and the salt too for that matter on the 100mm squidy fish in the naturals colours ie black gold, haven't used them much in the timbers though might give them a try Saturday morning. I take a small cheap tube of super glue with me, when they start to get torn up this will give me a bit longer to play with them.