PDA

View Full Version : Silver Perch

MikeC
08-07-2004, 04:57 AM
Here's a silver my wife caught on a trolled green Hotlips. It brightened up an otherwise fishless day.
The fish didn't seem to be in the best condition. You can see the torn - or rotting? - pectoral fin and evidence of a cyst or parasite or something! under the skin low down on its side. It fought pretty well though and took off like a rocket when released.

MikeC
08-07-2004, 05:08 AM
Same fish. Check out that tail! Looks as if the body's too small for it. Maybe it was.

Batters
09-07-2004, 08:04 AM
those fins are definetly to big for the fish, i'm guessing this fish came from a stocked impoundment? i breed aquarium fish and with the increased survival rate of juveniles there comes an increase in mutations such as longer fins. this fish would not of lived in nature as compitition between fry is great in all fish usually less than 1% survive. silvers are a good fight when you can catch them, better than yellas. got one bout 3 pound last summer really took off.

nice pic

michael

MikeC
09-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Yes Michael It was caught in Lake Samsonvale [early July]

Fitzy
09-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Wow! Thats one wierd looking silver. I remember getting some nice silvers at Samsonvale when the boating permit scheme first started.
Need to put some time in on catching them more regularly on lure/fly.

fitz..

Mattman
10-07-2004, 03:44 PM
hey guys
with a tail like that that fish would fight so well, how big did it go looks like a top fish mate good effort to geta silver that size on a lure as well.
Matt

MikeC
10-07-2004, 03:55 PM
The fish was about 35cm, maybe a touch more.
It made a couple of runs, particularly when it saw the boat.
My wife always catches more than I do. ???

scott_b
11-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Mate thats a great pic and a good looken tale.
wamjam