PDA

View Full Version : Teemburra Sunday morning

staggy
20-09-2004, 08:16 AM
G-day everyone, Well after reading Darrens report on the electrofishing results I decided to go and have a crack at some of them barra. Well I found three of them but buggered if I could find the other 90. Had a good time with surface poppers along some deep banks with 6 strikes but no fish to the boat. Brian had a huge strike with his popper clearing the water and the noise from the boof was a real hart starter. I changed to soft plastics and tried to keep the lure in close to the structure longer to try and intice a strike. Got snagged up heaps of times but decideed to keep trying as I knew the fish were there. Three strikes for three barra was the end result.
Brian did not have the patience for plastics this morning and opted to sleep on the floor of the tinny while I experimented with the Berkley Power Baits. Also found some big fish on the sounder out deep from drowned timber in 2 or 3 mtrs of water and was wondering if they would move out of the deeper water to the shallows after dark. So just incase I marked all the spots on the hand held GPS.

C YA
Staggy

staggy
20-09-2004, 08:22 AM
second fish

staggy
20-09-2004, 08:24 AM
third barra

Neil_c
20-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Gday Staggy

That looks like a brilliant morning there Mate :D

Looks like I'm gonna have to get serious about those soft plastics ::)

Neil :)

Fitzy
20-09-2004, 04:44 PM
That's a good effort Staggy. You'd recon you might crack a smile occasionally with fishing like that. ;) ;D

Cheers,

fitz..

staggy
20-09-2004, 05:18 PM
G-day Neil and Fitzy. Yes it was a top morning to be on the dam with little or no wind to blow the tinny around. I didnt want to smile to much Fitzy as a couple of other Ausfish members were up last weekend and I told them the dam was FULLaFISH if you knew where to look. So I took them to spot X and told them all my other secret spots trying to prove my stories were true. But alas I was the only bloke to nail a couple of fish that mornin. They even asked me what type of lures I use and being a good sport i told them. Then on the morning we met at the dam whats the first thing i do, I put on a lure that has lived in the bottom of my tackle box along with all the crap collected I hate or have no faith in and pull 2 barra out of the timber in front of them. I wonder if they think I fed them false info. A smile would just seem to be pushing the friendship a little too far dont ya think.

Lookin forward to catching up with you again Neil when ya get back to OZTRALIA.

Staggy.

DRJ
21-09-2004, 05:01 AM
Staggy

You could of shared the GPS marks :-X

Well done.

Off to NZ to catch a trout with Neil. - I hope - no pressure Neil ;)

Regards
Darren

Neil_c
21-09-2004, 06:18 AM
No sweat Mate, got five this morning.......oops, I hope they weren't yours ::)

I won't mention the ice chocking up the runners either ;D

Fitzy
21-09-2004, 04:39 PM
I won't mention the ice chocking up the runners either ;D

Jeez, you'd have to be keen! :)

Neil_c
22-09-2004, 02:18 AM
gotta do what I gotta do ::)

Neil_c
23-09-2004, 02:09 AM
Hey Staggy, keep those Barra shots coming Mate ;) They help me remember what I've got too look forward to ;D

staggy
26-09-2004, 09:33 PM
G-day Neil, Mate I'd love nothing more then to post more photos but work keeps me off the dams and all I can do at the moment is dream about them barra like you. I only worked 6 hours today as it was my day off. Actualy Im on night shift still, finished boring on the dozer around 6-30 and drove home. Im so lucky i can go out again tomorrow night and fix more round things. Seems the mines are full of not so round things they want made round again, so I keep going round and round fixing them. What a life. Someone has to do it.

Catch ya later

Staggy

Manson
27-09-2004, 01:43 AM
Here you go Neil, just so you can remember what they look like. ;D

Neil_c
27-09-2004, 01:57 AM
Manson
Thanks Mate, I needed that :D

If that's Teemburra I hope someone puts the plug back in soon :(

Staggy
I dunno about you but I know I'm dizzy just reading that ::)

big_george
27-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Staggy.
It's gunna cost you for us the keep our mouths shut. :-X
I'll start with that little injection moulded natural 90mm Koolabung. ;D.Or was it a little Lucifer. ;D ;D.
Neil,
I Left 5 of your fav colour with staggy.the gun guide.He mite use one or three.
Thanks for the casting exibition staggy.
Cheers BG. ;)

Neil_c
28-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Thanks BG [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] I appreciate that :)

I told ya we were a top bunch up there :D

Cloud_9
28-09-2004, 05:36 PM
staggy mate just got back from there. he cum back sunday.
he'd been there for a week. early evening was the best time to fish there.and he anchored to the weed with reef pick ( just at the top of weed.)
and fly fished the back of the boat. best they could boat was 16KG. but also got 14kg 12 kg 10kg. and lost 1 that was too big to jump estemated 20+kg, only lost due to dacron splice popped.

Cheers Cloud 9

staggy
28-09-2004, 11:31 PM
G-day cloud 9, Sounds as if ya mate had a ball. I ended up with a night off work and could not sleep due to the fact I had slept all day thinking i had to work. Tried to sleep but was having no luck so rang a mate and organised to go wet a line at Teemburra , as his brother is down from Cairns for a weeks fishing. Bit of tv and internet to kill a few hours then off to Keiths at 3-30am for a quick cuppa and off to chase some barra. The water was alive with small fish breaking the surface everywere. Tied on some poppers and in no time we were getting hit but try as we might no hook ups. Is this a common thing with poppers or am I doing something wrong. Most strikes were as the popper was at rest. Maybe I should speed up my retreive as Im working them fairly slow. Great fun even with out a hook up. Steve the Cairns fisho had his first tast of Teemburra barra on fly landing a 72cm fish the previous morning at the same location. Not sure on his rod weight but I know his leader was only 10lb and he had some trouble getting the fish back to the boat, so this morning he decided not to test his luck in the fly department. Keiths young fella nailed a nice fish on a reidies before we decided to try our luck elsewere. Steve can not beleive we catch fish on the soft plastics which he has re-named GREEN SNOT. Several casts into a snag with hard bodied lures from Keiths boat received no response. So we cruised over and my first cast with a green snot at the same snag scored me the fish below. If you look at all the pics Iv sent in since joining this site Im wearing the same shirt. The ole girl reckons it's the same fish at different parts of the dam. Well if it is the same fish Im getting bloody good mileage out of it. Not sure how we make it bigger some days and smaller the next. Must be like the bloke thing, on cold days things seem smaller. Neil I will post the fly fish when I get the pic from Steve to keep you happy.
Catch you all latter.

Staggy

Neil_c
30-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Lookn forward to that Staggy :D

Just had a Mate from home tell me of a 99cm Barra caught from Monduran on the weekend. If I get some more details i'll pass it on.

FlyRod
03-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Look around a few websites and look at the people you bump into ;)GDay All.Everyone seems to forget about the poor little puddle called Kinchant :-X!!!!I nailed this one in about 2ft of water with a Tango dancer and it went 98cm and weighed 17kg.As you can tell I took the photo by resting it on the bow of the boat and setting the timer but you get the idea ::)