PDA

View Full Version : fat Pig Monduran Barra

McCod
29-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Fished Monduran last weekend and landed 4 Barra and lost a few big and small but this fat pig scoffed a gold RMG 125 scorpion on sunday arvo 21/11. Big girl was 115 cm and 50 lbs. Could not get here to swim so gave her away .
Weather was a bit sad but ended up a good trip.
Cheers Les.

McCod
29-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Heres one that Foxie took.
Cheers les.

staggy
29-11-2004, 04:18 PM
G-day Les, Nice barra. That dam holds some great fish. Im looking forward to returning for another shot at them. What time of the day or night did you get her. We had more hits after dark.
Im taking the boys out next time to see if they can get there arms streched a little more.

C YA

Staggy

McCod
29-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Gday Staggy, Got the big girl at aprox 6:30 in arvo as sun going down
not long after the bonies started chopping on the surface. Hooked up with a few more but they did not stick. Droped a nice on on the saturday of aprox 40 lb and the others landed were between 55
and 60 cm. " Yes nice fishing hole ! "
Cheers Les.

el_carpo
29-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Congratulations fellas! Those fish are incredible! They look like tarpon!

Jim_Tait
01-12-2004, 09:05 PM
More like fat snook really - they are in the same family Centropomidae. Get a US snook, put in on steroids - get it to chase a parked car - presto Barra!!

Regards - Jim

el_carpo
02-12-2004, 12:51 AM
;D Yeah, I think you're right Jim. Most of the fish I see you guys catch in Australia amaze me but the ones that ALWAYS make me do a double take and rub my eyes are those barras. Those things just have "fight" written all over them. The closest thing, fight wise and size wise I can think of that we have, where I live (the midwest--no oceans), would have to be stripers (hybrid stripers mostly). They were an ocean fish that were introduced into fresh water a while back and can tolerate it. I've never caught one but have seen a few big ones. I think your barra can hold its own against any fish in the world as far as fishing goes. I'm very jealous! I wish we had them here too. ;D

Your fishery is astounding! The size and variety of fish available to you really is unique. I hope things stay that way for you all for a verrrrrrry long time.

E.C.

Foxie
05-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Hey Les,Staggy,
The barra are still going off at night up here, lost 3 horses on tuesday night,boated 1 40lb 109cm and lost 3 on thursday night,last night boated 1 95cm 13kg, lost 2. all this 400 metres from my house on the hill. Might even take the long drive down there again tonight.
p.s. Les you also won the competition for the biggest barra in Nov so will be in touch.

Cheers Foxie

staggy
05-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Hey les congrats on catching the biggest fish for nov. It wont be long Foxie till I return.
Staggy

McCod
08-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanx Staggy!.I'm heading back there in 5 days. c ya on sunday Foxie!.Hope to tangle with a few.This little fella ripped off half his top lip trying to shake off a 6x treble. Had to cut it to remove .
Gday el-carpo these fish just destroy inferior tackle and even some good tackle. Will drop in some photos of some broken lures etc one day.

Cheers Les.