PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer sooty

staggy
20-07-2004, 10:37 AM
G-day everyone, A mate and I took took the lads out chasing sootys Sunday morning on the Pioneer River. Young Lionel was a very happy chappy when this fish smashed his lure at the side of the boat and proceeded to take line at agreat rate of knots. Smiles all round. We had a good trip even though it was bloody cold and windy. I think Lionel and his ole man boated around 10 fish for the morning.
Brian and I managed 8 in our boat.

C Ya

Staggy.

Jeremy87
21-07-2004, 02:23 PM
I'd love to catch a sooty. I live in brisbane, how far north do i have to go before i have a real chance of getting a couple?

DRJ
22-07-2004, 05:03 AM
They basically start around the Mackay area. When you get here there are a heap of options to have a go at them. They are stocked into Eungella, Kinchant, Teemburra Dams and there is healthy populations in the Pioneer River, Cattle Creek and many of the other creeks and rivers in the district. For more info on sooties visit www.mafsa.com

They are a great fighting fish and one at 500mm puts up a great fight.

Regards
Darren

el_carpo
22-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Another fish I wish we had over here. :'( Luckies! Nice catch! :)

Tuna_Pie
22-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Another fish I wish we had over here. :'( #Luckies! #Nice catch! :)

u may not have may fishes but we have no deer to hunt over here

el_carpo
22-07-2004, 09:04 PM
I'd send you some if it were legal. They're everywhere!

Fitzy
24-07-2004, 09:47 PM
I'd love to catch a sooty. I live in brisbane, how far north do i have to go before i have a real chance of getting a couple?
Try the goldie area. Not that far at all. :-X

Cheers,

fitzy..

thunnus
29-07-2004, 06:08 PM
u may not have may fishes but we have no deer to hunt over here

dont know where your looking mate - but there are good numbers of them around - some within a few hours of bris-vagas

cheers, Justin

Neil_c
30-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Apart from those mentioned in the mary system I didn't realise they were that far south. Are they river fish or in ponds??

I've posted this shot before but I like to drag it out too remind me of what I can look forward to in a couple more months :D Great lookn fish Staggy, keep an eye out mate not long now ;D

Neil :)

Fitzy
30-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Soots have been legally stocked into Lake Monduran & Awoonga years ago, tho very few have turned up. Maybe the forkies? Maybe that nobody has targetted them?
Some were illegally stocked into a system in the gold coast area where it appears they have established.

Also established in the Mary River system for some time now.(Sunshine Coast)

Are in the northern trubitaries of the Fitzroy system (Connors, Isaac, Funell).
Here's a Connors River soot from a few years ago.
http://www.harro.com.au/gallery/fish90.jpg

fitz

Jeremy87
30-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks guys for that. Another fish to add to my growing 'to catch' list.

jewies
31-07-2004, 03:49 PM
dont know where your looking mate - but there are good numbers of them around - some within a few hours of bris-vagas

cheers, Justin

theres a fair few around my place western suburbs of brisbane

FlyRod
03-10-2004, 01:53 PM
We fish the same stetch of water all the time and have Bumped into Staggy and crew(on that morning actually) It would have to be one of ,if not my most favourite place to fish ;DI cant wait to see if we can get some Barra stocked in there to just add a little spice!! ;)
This is one my girlfreind nailed that morning off a snagg I have to race her to get a cast at!!I think she loves Sootys more than I.
Rod

Neil_c
03-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Gday Rod, good to see you found us ;D

Neil :)

DRJ
06-10-2004, 04:46 AM
Rod

Don't just think it is Staggy who knows where that snag is ;) ;D :-X

Regards
Darren

Smailesy