PDA

View Full Version : Pics from Awoonga Comp

CamH
07-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Bloke from my work had these photos of the recent comp.

CamH
07-12-2005, 11:24 AM
another one.

westie
07-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Why do we have to kill these fish, get a camera and a bigger Brag mat if needed and let them have there freedom.

You have seeked, you have stalked,you have caught,you have Won the battle!!!! is that not what it is about.

I have never caught a Barra and I am sure it is a hell of a feeling, But I do know I could never keep one of that size

Westie

CamH
07-12-2005, 12:59 PM
I agree plus there is no doubt they would be very poor eating anyway.

uripper
07-12-2005, 01:34 PM
CamH & Westie
They sometimes call barra a "bucket mouth" - given your comments that could equally apply to you - your preparedness to shoot from the hip with such ignorance astounds me - would some who attended the Awoonga Comp please explain to these "fish-huggers" the comp rules & more importantly how these fish came to be & why this is such a fantastic impondment - crickey fellas we've got enough hassles from the lunatic fringe without our own taking illinformed sideswipes at fellow rec fishos #- think before you press those keyboards - Rip

westie
07-12-2005, 02:05 PM
CamH & Westie
They sometimes call barra a "bucket mouth" - given your comments that could equally apply to you - your preparedness to shoot from the hip with such ignorance astounds me - would some who attended the Awoonga Comp please explain to these "fish-huggers" the comp rules & more importantly how these fish came to be & why this is such a fantastic impondment - crickey fellas we've got enough hassles from the lunatic fringe without our own taking illinformed sideswipes at fellow rec fishos - think before you press those keyboards - Rip

i am sorry but YOU are the one calling us BUCKET MOUTHS ... YOU EXPLAIN why let someone else do it for you.

CamH
07-12-2005, 02:17 PM
I would've thought it would be in the best interests of the comp to release them anyway. Guarantee those fish won't be caught next year.

outsiderskip
07-12-2005, 02:21 PM
NICE FISH
BUT WHAT A WASTE

cheers pete

Awoonga
07-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Awoonga is a put and take fishery.. and the comp rules stated that you had too bring your catch back so they could weigh it ...see how long it is.. and lastly and the most important thing take a photo of you and your catch... Then after the comp you could have your fish back or like most of the others put in the bin....The event is based on the Tinaroo Bash in NQ. And if we continue to hold events like these we shall have a great fishery just like Tinaroo.. :-/.Ask anyone that just did the barra tour up there how good the fishing was....

lukesnapper
07-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Why do we have to kill these fish, get a camera and a bigger Brag mat if needed and let them have there freedom.

You have seeked, you have stalked,you have caught,you have Won the battle!!!! is that not what it is about.

I have never caught a Barra and I am sure it is a hell of a feeling, But I do know I could never keep one of that size

Westie
totaly agree westie. some big barra there and congrats to the blokes who caught them, but it is sad that none were released to fight another day!

ps, sorry uripper i must be a BUCKET MOUTH 2!

uripper
07-12-2005, 02:33 PM
CamH & Westie
They sometimes call barra a "bucket mouth" - given your comments that could equally apply to you - your preparedness to shoot from the hip with such ignorance astounds me - would some who attended the Awoonga Comp please explain to these "fish-huggers" the comp rules & more importantly how these fish came to be & why this is such a fantastic impondment - crickey fellas we've got enough hassles from the lunatic fringe without our own taking illinformed sideswipes at fellow rec fishos #- think before you press those keyboards - Rip

i am sorry but YOU are the one calling us BUCKET MOUTHS ... YOU EXPLAIN why let someone else do it for you.

Westie - fair enough - I've overreacted and apologies are offered - I get so angry when people make assumptions that could not be further from the truth - particularly when it involves a recreational fishing - let me buy you a beer at the BrisVegas M&G next Friday night.

The Awoonga Dam fishery was established largely through the efforts of volunteer recreational fishos with the financial assistance of various government agencies. It is a fantastic success story in terms of impoundment stocking and fishing. It is so successful that #like Lake Tinnaroo near Cairns, the small fingerlings have grown into 30lb+ monsters that are completely dominating the habitat. #That is why the fishery managers encourage the taking of the really big fish. #Another reason is that the big fish are less tolerant to catch and release unless the fisho really knows what they're doing.

I haven't been to a comp at Awoonga Dam so don't know exactly what the current rules are - hence my reticence.

If anyone would like confirmation of just how healthy this fishery is then please ring the Fishery Manager, Ken ____ #on 4972 9548.

So the bottom line is that the photos do not represent some reckless pillage and plunder. #To the contrary they exemplify the positive side of recreational fishing.

As to the eating quality - personally I'm not into the taste of freshwater fish - but having sampled a few big freshwater barra - they're not half bad.

Rip.

westie
07-12-2005, 02:58 PM
unripper No need to buy that beer as you have eaten humble pie and that is fine by me and I say cam would be the same.
It worries me regarding the fact stated that Awoonga stated "Then after the comp you could have your fish back or like most of the others put in the bin...." I am sure the orginzers good at least donate them to a Refuge Etc it would not be that hard to do and then the killing of fish of this size may be a little easyer to handle. Having a person on staff to Fillet and prepare for these fish for the people recieving meals on wheels a couple of phone calls and someone will benifit.

I am in NO way a Fish Cuddler far from it, I love my fish and like a lot of other, take only what my family can use. Returning the rest.

would not a Electo fish be able to get the larger fish and move them around to introduce new blood to other Impoundments.

All just Ideas and not having a go at anyone, but if we look we may just fine OPTIONS are better then waste.

If we have to Cull, then we will remember it was for a GOOD cause and someone will benifit on the way.

Westie

CamH
07-12-2005, 02:59 PM
This is starting to have the makings of one of those posts that turn into 10 pages of arguments like the old "should you keep marlin" favourite. Lets just say they are great fish and each to their own opinion on the rightness or wrongness of the rules.

TonyM
07-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Another Bucketmouth here ;D (although like westie I aint a fish hugger - Love a chew on a decent fish)

Just because it's the rules of the comp doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea.

I agree that it should be fine for anyone who wants to keep a stocked fish (if they can handle eating the greasy fillets), although I can't see much merit in actively encouraging it with a comp. If it were a catch and release comp I think it might actually be even more successfull ;)

Re the releasing of larger Barra I think they have a pretty good chance of surviving if treated with a little care when handling them, this could be dealt with at the start of the comp with a tutorial and maybe provide some of the dpi's material on handling large fish to competitors when they register. I believe this has proven effective with data the dpi have collated from tagged fish that have been released.

MADKEEN
07-12-2005, 03:57 PM
These are stocked impoundments and these fish do not breed so why not keep the larger fish it will give more room for more stocking. If these were wild female barra i would say no.
Just like your big flathead.

David

westie
07-12-2005, 04:32 PM
This is starting to have the makings of one of those posts that turn into 10 pages of arguments like the old "should you keep marlin" favourite. Lets just say they are great fish and each to their own opinion on the rightness or wrongness of the rules.

i Agree any more bids ......All done .......Westie is out....1 more....last call......All Done

uripper
07-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Just like your big flathead.
David

hoo u callin 'flathead' ;D

Jaffo
07-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is a free country the last time I looked. Can someone tell me why some of the "GUN ANGLERS" that so many on this site back slap so often, when a couple of hundred Kgs of RED FISH are taken on a regular event are not baged. These anglers have not broken the law (GUNS included) so why up them. Big barra like those would eat heaps of there own kind each day, they dont breed in dams only eat and give us anglers a thrill to catch and release, take your choice. Dont be jealous go and get one for yourself, and keep or release your choice !!!!!!!

noluck
07-12-2005, 11:33 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D :)

DNO40
08-12-2005, 06:20 AM
Tis the season to be jolly trala lala la lala

DNO

woolybugger
08-12-2005, 12:48 PM
I am not going to get into the great debate of the year, however am a great believer of the "Catch and Release" motto. For example I just spent alot of money, time and effort to go up to Lake Awoonga to catch the ellusive 1metre plus Barra and caught a few (see post) smallest being 108cm and largest 118cm.

I am guessing that if everyone didn't believe in this motto, then the trip would of been a waste of time etc and also have seen alot of fresh water lakes almost destroyed in over fishing and fisherman taking home fish.

Again, I don't want to get into a slagging match with anyone, however my view will never change.

banshee
08-12-2005, 07:18 PM
There is merrit in C&R no doubt,but these fisheries were set up with the intention of put and take ultimately leading to less pressure on wild stocks,do we want to end up with a general concensus that says it is alright to kill a wild Barra that will breed,but not acceptable to kill a stocked Barra that will never breed?The advice that is given to people(anglers fishing the dam) that I have spoken to is to cull the larger fish,I can see that there would be groups of people like ABT type competition organisers,guides,people supplying accomadation etc that do very nicely out of having a captive supply of large fish on hand and would disagree with this idea but there are arguments for it,one being that stocked fingerlings and yearlings are a very expensive food source for huge fish.Maybe it's time that certain dams were set aside with C&R only in mind,they could be stocked for afew seasons then left to the people who have a vested interest in big fish to decide how and when to restock at their own expense once the fish reach "trophy" size,but untill something like this happens let's not lose sight of the fact that it is a put and take fishery and the people that raise those fry/fingerlings don't intend them to be used as fish food.