PDA

View Full Version : Yabba Creek and Borumba Dam 25th-1st

BrandonH
05-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Hi all!! I hope everyone had a good break and caught some fish!!

Harry/Cabfisher I hope you read this as i don't have a post count of 10 to send private messages yet:( i guess that will come soon:) Island reach camp grounds in within Imbil but was very nice and allowed dogs!! also we got a real nice spot right next to a snag in the creek witch produced fish (Story told below) if you want to know more let me know!!

now to the Report.

Day one, on Borumba dam, I flicked a popper around for near an hour up in the sticks, had no luck, trolled a spinner bait and a Jackel around after that and had some touches on the spinner but no hook ups. seeing it was our fisrt trip on the dam we decided to just go for a cruise, Had the electric going and i was standing on the bench seat trying to spot Toga as we putted around the sticks, we saw around 10 of them from just under a foot long to around 70-80 i guess, non of witch ended up on a line:(

Second day, we didn't go to the dam in stead deceded to fish yabba Creek with some shrimp we caught near by. 2 eel tailed catfish and 2 Spangled pearch, not bad for 10 mtrs from our tent!! anyways the next morning i hit the dam b4 sun up again, this time trolling for almost 4 hours! had a touch on the jackel but nothing stayed connected:( that afternoon we fished the creek again and was missing a LOT of bites that just didn't seam to want to get hooked! I told my Misses to land teh shrimp right next to this tree that was in the water but this time closer to the bank, 2 seconds and a dam big silver pearch guessing at 2.5-3KG got hooked and landed for a photo. after trying with the shrimp for another 30mins or so i decided not to waist any more as my dad was comming up the next day and i wanted to have as many shrimp for the dam as i could for that so i decided to throw on a little plastic, second cast and i noticed a flash and my line starting to move around. after a very short fight i got a Saratoga on the bank that would have been perfect for the tank!! it was about a foot long.

the next day when dad arived we got out on the dam in the arvo. i got a huge eel tailed catfish then we moved to another spot and dad managed to loose 3 shrimp in 20 mins! I had one bite and landed a 54cm saratoga:) got one other run but didn't manage to hook that one.

The last day me and the misses decided to go out in the morning, we sat at the spot i got the toga for an hour from first light with live shrimp in the water, nothing:( we moved to a bay around the corner and sat there for ages for one bite and a bass of 39cm. after such a bad morning of no action we decited to go back again that arvo, back to the toga spot:) this time we got a couple of bites that didn't get hooked b4 i noticed that there were fish going trhough at the 10-12foot mark, we changed the depth of our baits and started getting more bites, and by 6:30 we had 4 more bass in (and our) of the boat!! the biggest measuring 43cm. i flicked a lure around a bit while we were there too but didn't get a touch. I am keen to get back up there and try some different lures and technics on the fish! I was talking to a local also while i was there on the water and he said that he though the water was too hot to have any real luck fishing. it was at 33.4deg most afternoons i was on the dam. and 31deg in the mornings! I have some pics that i will post in awhile when i get them on my web page.

Cheers
Brandon..

BrandonH
05-01-2006, 02:14 PM
ok here are the pics!! the little saratoga was on a 3' pumpkinseed bassminnow with NO weight, the others were on Shrimp.. i have to teach my girl how to hold a fish for a photo!! its not easy to see the size of the silver she is holding but i am sure it would have gone 3kg.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/bjh79/images/BorumbaSaratoga1.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/bjh79/images/BorumbaSaratoga%202.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/bjh79/images/BorumbaBass.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/bjh79/images/ZoesBorumbaSilver.jpg

Cheers
Brandon.

fish_hunter
05-01-2006, 02:49 PM
HI,

Great report, good to hear there are still some good fish up that way. I haven't been up there for about 18 months but have caught some very big sarataoga on plastics and surface lures like the Nightwalker both in the dam and in the hole below the spillway. Yabba Creek always seems to have lots of small bass which seem to readily take small hard body lures. Will have to get up there again soon.

Cheers

bdowdy
05-01-2006, 06:59 PM
hi brandonh im heading up there on the 18th of jan can you tell me what area you got your sarotoga as im keen to catch one even as big as that first toga qwould make me happy. cheers bdowdy ;D

davo
05-01-2006, 09:32 PM
I'll be heading up on the 11th to try the toga. We had a great trip to Cania and I haven't fished Borumba for a very long time.

BrandonH
06-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Bdowdy, Davo,

There is plenty of Saratoga i there, Just head right up the top of the dam where you can escape from the skiers!! That is where most of the fish are anyways:) we should have caught more fish but the dam (haha) weather was sooooo HOT!! as i said in the report the water temp was reading 33.4 most afternoons i was on the water and 30-31 in the mornings just after sunrise!! there are a couple of reports in the freshwater section that have some good ideas too! if you can stand on your seat in the tinny while motoring along with an electric you will see the toga all over the place! i saw them right next to the weed against the banks, and swiming in the middle of the river channel in 50foot of water!! surface lures and plastics should work well, I tried poppers for an hour or so with no luck and got the Sh#ts quick with the heat rising. next time i go there i will be playing with plastics on the surface when the temp drops to something that i can handle! its a shame they arn't like Barra and take lures at night. (although i don't know can anyone tell me if they still bite at night??).

Cheers
Brandon.

bdowdy
09-01-2006, 08:25 PM
;Dthanks brandon for your info, jeremy sent threw a chat saying that the water was dirty and plenty of skiers(water lice) and he didnt catch many fish on the freshwater section. but you sound as though you seen some toga which is fine by me as ill give them a go.got my hopes up alittle more. thanks bdowdy ;D

BrandonH
10-01-2006, 09:41 AM
No Worries, I am now wishing that i had a Plastic without Lead on when i was spotting the toga the first day:( I reckon i could have placed the plastic right next to them, given it a twitch and whamo! Thats what happened with the small one i got in the creek (although i didn't see it untill it bit!) but it wasn't to be, I was too busy enjoying the way they crused through the water, oh and also watching the Deer comming down to drink as well as all the parrots, finches, eagles and Kingfishers. It truly is one of the most beautiful dams i have ever seen. If it wasn't so hot i could have putted around all day long. (witch i would do if possable when you go).

Make sure you take a shrimp trap (Bread and dry dog food) just in case you have no luck on the lures!! although that might stop you using Lures and cost you some good hard earned fish!! Lol. Enjoy!!

bdowdy
10-01-2006, 05:28 PM
:)sounds good il try the plastics, and yeh ill be taking my shrimp traps, this place sounds so nice that ill think ill enjoy my holiday.thanks again mate . bdowdy ;D