PDA

View Full Version : 7 days at AWOONGA

Cloud_9
10-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Gaday all.
its been a while since my last confession, sorry that should read REPORT.
i think it's been about 2 months and as i see things have changed around here!
i haven't had a chance to see all the new things but i hope things are good.
but Here goes.
left Brisvagas boxing day, Cloud 9 in tow, headed for Bundy.
stayed in bundy for a week and in that time fished Mondurran dam once.
what a waste of time. the water was warm as Pee 34 degrees C no wonder the fish didn't bite for me but have since found out that the fish are in the cool deep water. ::)
Next stop the Beautifull Lake Awoonga. yeha.
i was hot on the heals of fellow Club member Dave Green and Harro and a few others that cleaned up with some massive fish.
but there tacktics are far from family friendly with fishing most of the night and only sleeping when they were too stuffed to stand .
me i had my wife Karen and daughter Candice in tow , and like me we all had never caught a Barra.
so this was a mission to get the next species BARRA.
we arrived at around so after setting up we sat around drank beer and cooked infront of the fan we took.
first afternoon/night i went out solo, and come back fishless. :-?
next morning family in tow we fished alll around for zip?
the wifes getting too hot ( it reached 38 deg C) headed back again without a scale.
Second day in the sun set time of day i went out solo again to try and figure out WTF im doing wrong.
you know the deal, All the gear and NFI.
i needed to change that fast.
so i talked to lots of amature fishos at the cleaning tables picking there brains for their secret info.
and a few guys parted with the secret stuff and others only part with snipets but when you stitch it all together you geta picture.
and after a little trial and error i starte geting the beasties.
but i will admit the VERY FIRST BARRA I CAUGHT what a let down 57cm :-/
i thought crap first Barra and the bugger isn't even legal.
but the next fish made up for that .
i was just about to pull the pin for the night and the reel screams and my rods all bent outa shape.
its pitch black about 8pm no moon and im fightin a hefty fish by anyones standard.
15minites later i net the biggest fish ive seen in a while. 98cm and it tiped the scales at 16Kgs.
its always the way you catch the big ones when theres no one around!
so a photo on the brag mat and back over the side.
NOW i was happy ;D
Day 3.
i had the area sused.
i Mite add here i only fished 2-3 hours in the morning and again at night. 5am to about 7-30,8 oclock.
and the same times at night .
they seemed to go off the chew after that.
day 3.
had the lures worked out. 3m Vipers. Gold caught 1 fish! but blue/green and the Purple thing colour worked a treat. 3 fish for the morning session but i was fishing with my Bass gear, a 2-3kg Live fiber lightning with a pflueger trion reel with 20lb braid.
my fish where a 71cm at 4kg. 1015cm and the heaviest fish for the week at 19Kgs and the last for the morning another bubby at 56cm and i didnt weigh this 1.
that night was Karen's night for her first Barra which was strange as it was the only fish we boated that night, well arfternoon, and it went 61cm and 3.5kgs. and jumped twice just for a good show.
she was stoked first Barra and another species towards her 10 badge.
Day 4
5am start for me solo again to hot for the others.
had a pearler 4 fish between 5 and 7:30am with an 82, 77.5, 77 and a 78cm .
that night was Candice's night to get her first Barra.
it took 2 goes as she put too much hurt on the first 1 and pulled the hooks.
the second fish come just as we had figured time to call it quits. and after a short tussle and 1 jump for her excietment the only fish for the night her 71cm and 4.5kg .
Day 5
starting to drop a few now not shore who's to blame but the Vipers are getting a bit beatup by now.
ive had staightened trebbles and crushed trebbles and twisted trebbles .
1 fish that i never seen hit that hard that the trebble was closed up with all the points almost touching the shank of the hook.
ive dropped 5 or 6 fish so far and had my share of airabatics from the fish and you dont get tiered of catching these fish.
only 3 for today but with the second fish over a metre caught , i'm happy as a pig in you know what. 63cm 68.5 and 1025cm at 14.5 Kgs.
day 5 night was a fizzer with no fish caught but it was blowin 30knts so wasnt too worried.
Day 6
5am start 3 fish today 69 , 71 and a spot on 1metre model that was also sporting a TAG still waiting for the info, but i got a hat.
day 6 night i cant remember think it was a fizzer no fish recorded for that night.
Last day.
i need to get 2 fish for friends in bundy cos we were staying for the night on the way home.
on the water a 5am and 5:45 the reel is screaming and im thinking this fish is too big to take, i need to 70something fish.
again im solo and as i grab the rod the other one goes off. :o
2 rods drags screaming and im no octopuss much to the contrary of my wife.
so i put that 1 back and grab the little rod and fight it , spot hooks near the boat.
grab the other 1 and start the fight to and frow .
ive seen colour and its still not at the boat yet but i see this other boat headed my way and he waves and i wave him over here. which he does and as he approches i boat the best fish for the week. 1030cm and im excited.
this week has been a bugger for technology crap.
New Digi Crapped it's self on the first day. the motor blow a line on the fuelpump.and after that the throttle linkage kept jumping off, so i was stoked with this fish and i need to get a photo.
the guy was very helpfull and i used the moble phone's digi and a throwaway camera just to make shore. ;)
i got my 2 others as well a 70 and a 72cm for keepers.
only got a couple pics as i just picked up the normal photos and need to scan them into the puter.
but here is the biggest at 1030.
will post the others soon
Cloud 9
Ps. it was good meeting GURU from here too he also got his first Barra and it was better than a metre too.

propdinger
10-01-2006, 06:04 PM
nice work Jamie good to see you enjoyed yourself even though a few things went wrong

cheers
jeff

thumps
10-01-2006, 06:42 PM
oh it makes the arm ache and the eye twitch

less than a week to go for my first experience with the barra at Awoonga

thanks for the insight..and the report

;D ;D

Cloud_9
10-01-2006, 06:43 PM
yes had a ball and as you can see the conditions where very BAD ;)
Cloud 9

McCod
10-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Top report Cloud_9 [smiley=thumbsup.gif] and congrats on the first Barra and all the rest also. Got my first Barra @ Awoonga and been hooked ever sense.

Cheers Les

DNO40
11-01-2006, 06:19 AM
Jamie,

Happy new Year. Well done on the fish mate. Whats next ?

I spent 10 days at Russell island and was on the Bay everyday and during the whole time got F all fish and only seen one other Ausfish craft and that was a tinnie on the beach at tipplers (can oath).

Congrats again, you seem to better armed with skills now. Don't they smash them lures ?

DNO

Poseidon
11-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Sounds like a good week on the water.

I called into Awoonga on the xmas road trip to Cairns the other day and had a quick gander at the amenities. Noticed the camping area on the main entrance to the dam on the way in. Is this a good location to camp for a few days? It seems handy to the boat ramp etc. or is there a better location that still has toilets and showers available in another spot on the dam?

Regards Cameron.

Awoonga
11-01-2006, 04:52 PM
No this is the only location that has showers/ toilets..and is close to the ramp there is a bush camp with Toilets only and at this stage no ramp....

Poseidon
11-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the info awoonga, might plan a trip up if I can find a bit of time. The camp needs to have a few amenities so the better half might come along too.

Regards Cameron.

caught-ya
12-01-2006, 11:24 AM
nice fish there,

we,ve been up there a few times and only caught little ones, but my dad knows a few rangers up there and they been catchin em 113-120cm.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
13-01-2006, 12:52 AM
Willowgrove Holiday park, close to the salt side of the Boyne River, Mangrove Jack, Mudcrabs, showers, space, right close by to fuel, burgers etc. Very nice location, about 8km to the lake, very popular with anglers wanting personal space and a good spot for the family. PM me if anyone wants the number!

CLOUD 9,,,,i sit and think where have i seen that boat name?!?!?!?!?!,,,aha,,,now i see the happy bloke with a barra in the pic, it all comes back now, I saw you at the ramp and we chatted on a few occassions and you asked for a brochure on barra fishing charters!!
Good Work Jamie!
Nice fishing story!!
Johnny M
Lake Awoonga

LUMOX
15-01-2006, 08:30 AM
CLOUD-9 YOU HAVE HVE ONLY HEIGHTEND MY ANTISIPATION AND EXCITMENT FOR AWOONGA, AM HEADING UP IN JAN FOR THE LONG WEEKEND WITH SOME GUYS FROM WORK. NEVER BEEN AND NEVER CAUGHT A BARRA BUT CANT WAIT. ANY HELP WITH LURE TYPES/. COLOUR AND LOCATIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. GUY WERE GOING WITH IS A BIT OF A KNOB SO WOULD LOVE ANY HELP IN SHOWING THE LOUDMOUTH UP CHEERS LUMOX.
P.S HAVING TROUBLE SLEEPING ;D

whykickacatalong
17-01-2006, 07:46 AM
GUY WERE GOING WITH IS A BIT OF A KNOB SO WOULD LOVE ANY HELP IN SHOWING THE LOUDMOUTH UP CHEERS LUMOX.
P.S HAVING TROUBLE SLEEPING ;D

And obviously not a ausfish member ;D

4 of us will be up that way around then as well on our way back from Kinchatt Dam (Me, BigDan, TonyM and Dasher)so if you see a boat with my signiture gif on the side say g'day ;)

Toppy
17-01-2006, 06:03 PM
GOOD ON YA JAMIE, NICE FISH TO CATCH ARNT THEY!
ITS TUFF FISHING NEW WATER BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT IT SUSSED IN THE END. I WAS SPEAKING TO ADAM FROM THE TACKLE WAREHOUSE TODAY & HE WAS ALSO THERE AT THE SAME TIME AS YOU. THEY ALSO GOT A FEW FISH & ONE @ 58LBS ON THE BOGAS. FROM WHAT HE TOLD ME IT SOUNDED LIKE MOST PEOPLE WORKED FOR THERE FISH THAT WEEK.
ALWAYS GOOD TO READ STORIES BY FELLO FISHO'S WHEN THEY GET A NEW SPECIES.
CHEERS
TOPPY

Cloud_9
17-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Gaday fellers .
just got pics back. scaned them in and here they are.
this 1 was tagged and went neet 1000mm

Cloud_9
17-01-2006, 09:51 PM
here's another that was 1025mm

Cloud_9
17-01-2006, 09:54 PM
my wife Karen and her first barra at 61cm

Cloud_9
17-01-2006, 10:00 PM
and finally the daughter Candice.
hers went 71 cm

JohnnyM you took 1 of my club members for a trip.
his name is Phill Alder .

to anyone going to AWOONGA Have fun top place.
5 star fishing.

back next year.
Cheers Cloud 9