PDA

View Full Version : WILD HINTERLAND BASS

Toppy
18-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Hi guys, had some spare time during the last few days & thought I'd sneak down a couple of creeks here on the goldie.
Set off from home 4am & drove the short distance to creek X, took out one of my favourite topwater lures & a handfull of zoom soft plastics.
To my delite it hadnt looked like anyone had fished there for some time"woohoo". Flicked out the little baby bass colour plastic rigged on a ponyhead jig head & whammo I was on!
A small Bass around 28cm scooted around the rockpool doing its best to shake me off, a quick pici and away she went.
A few more casts with no luck so I changed rods & went to the heddon spook. Time to get one on a popper! Downstream from the ledge I was standing on I could see a fresh snag still covered in green leaves from the last heavy rain. It lay in about 2mtrs of water & about 20mtrs downstream. It was a bit of a mission to get a good cast in & took a few attempts to negotiate the overhang & almost going arse up on the slippery rocks!
At last, I got a gap in the jungle & managed to lob my popper right amongst the cover. Yippi!!!!!
I slowly started to walk the dog along the length of the snag, a small change in the water surface behind the lure indicated someone was home. A few quiet words of encouragement were expressed - come on, come on, take it & then wak it was on for young and old. The fish headed for the leafy end of the snag luckily & I was able to put enough pressure on the 2kg braid to pull it out. Had it swum into the woody end I would have not been so lucky.
A slightly better fish this time about 32cm & in much better condition, man they pull for there size!
I continued with the session for another hour & only managed 4 more brief hookups & one other landed & released. I went home for breaky then feeling content with the mornings outing & the knowledge that those same fish would await my return.

morty103
18-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Great read Toppy
I'd love to know where that creek is, it sounds like you had a ball.
Morty

Toppy
18-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Bass caught on Heddon Spook

Toppy
18-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Close up

Toppy
18-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Creek X

4x4frog
18-01-2006, 04:09 PM
I will bring my own blindfold so you can drive me to spot X and let me fish..after the blindfold is removed. ;D

Mak579
18-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Great pics and story, good stuff! ;)

Quick Q - The pony head jig head, is that the one with the spinner blade attachment?

Matt

Toppy
18-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys, I can't think of anyone who wouldnt love to fish it. Thankfully not everyone does!
Matt yes the jig heads are the ones with the blade, I am using 1/4oz 7gram rev heads by TT Lures. A common name in the past was pony head jigs.
Cheers
Toopy

McCod
18-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Top spiel there Toppy ..... can't beat that topwater Bass action ;)

Cheers Les