PDA

View Full Version : NZ - Lake Taupo

morty103
16-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Spent 3 weeks over in nz, about three or four of those days were spent having a fish around lake taupo and surrounding rivers. Got a few rainbow trout trolling the drop offs on the lake, and the odd smaller trout on fly up the rivers which was a bonus.

One morning we caught 7 trout and dropped a few others, all fish were legal but not in that greater condition due to them just returning from the spawn up the rivers, so not many were kept for the table.
Few pics of scenery, and some rainbows we got out on the lake.

Morty

morty103
16-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Uncle flicking a fly in the tauranga taupo river.
A few rainbows were caught that day but were all very small, but still fun to see your indicator get pulled under the surface.

morty103
16-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Flicking a fly out the front of Hatepee.
All the brown water is being pushed out of the river and there were quite a number of trout sitting there

Toppy
17-01-2006, 06:22 PM
HEY MORTY, MY WIFE & I SPENT A FEW WEEKS CRUISING AROUND NTH ISLAND & WE LOVED TAUPO! ITS SO MASSIVE, I COULDNT BELIEVE IT.
I FISHED A COUPLE OF SPOTS AROUND THE LAKE JUST FROM THE SHORE & WAS IMPRESSED WITH EVERYTHING. THE FISHING WAS SLOW IN JUNE & THE WATER WAS LOW BUT I STILL MANAGED A COUPLE HOOKUPS.
WHAT SORT OF LURE/FLY WHERE YOU USING?
CHEERS
TOPPY

morty103
17-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Gday Toppy

When we were trolling the lake we had a 3 lure/fly combination rig which was two flies which imitated the smelt which head in the shallower water this time of year and the trout just love them, and the other lure on the rig was a small tassie devil type, not sure on brand etc.
Whilst we were up river fly fishing we had two little wooly nypmhs which we were flicking and were fishing hard up against the structure in the fast water, was unreal stuff.
I've got an old fly rod in have in the garage which i was given from an aunt years ago, so im planning on getting it out and having a crack at the saltwater side of things.

Cheers
Morty

Toppy
20-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Sounds like you had a ball over there, I'm envious az!
Would love another trip there but have too many others booked this year & then there is the J.O.B. taking up the rest of the time.
Thanks for the insite.
cheers
Toppy