PDA

View Full Version : SEQ Dams weekend the 28-29th.

Cloud_9
30-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Gaday all .
this weekend was a looksee at the dams arund the Great South east.
no pun intended.
saturday was to be a club trip for the Mackeral off the gold coast. :-[
but as the weather gods say not this weekend.
so an improptue bass trip to hinze was the next best thing. and i had a lot of fun last year fishing for bass when thew salt was too rough.
anyway the first thing that greeted me was the HUGE water rise the dams had.
id guess 1-2metre rise since the last big drop we got. very healthy.
it was a late arvo fish 3pm till 7pm.
pretty tuff going i can tell you.
too much new flooded grass , but i did get to test drive the NEW Daiwa Millionaire Blue Backer 200BB.
got stop now im getting a woody again. :-/
top reel.
back to fishing. we cast our arms off and gredged up half a paddock of grass.
before i finally hooked up to the Sunlander or the fish equivelent for all of 5 maybe 6 seconds before the water erupped and 60-70 cm Toga shook me off, which must have been hard as the Jackal was new and their hooks are sticky buggers.
and that was it for the day for me. my decky Peter got 1 bump and 1 hookup but dropped it unseen. got nothin on the surface ether , but the fish were there.
we watched and followed 2 guys getting fish after fish with double hookups. :-/
they had the patern worked out and it was working fine.
Next was a Sunday drive to check out the Maroon and Moogerah.
well Maroon has a bit of water in it , its on the ramp but best to launch from the dirt.
the Lake Lice where all over the place. i guess 20 boats and 1 fishing boat.
alge didnt seem to be a problem, with all the air rateing it was getting from the skiers.
next was Moogerah. water level was up a bit maybe 15-20 % if fishing this 1 sunday arvo or mid week. it was hard to see the water between the boats and 1 group testing a ski race boat.
wish all the skiers from maroon would bugger off to moogerah.
again only 1 fishing boat seen this was sunday around 3pm.
looks lick a trip to maroon next time the wind blows too hard .
till next trip
Cheer Cloud 9

scotty
31-01-2006, 03:47 PM
moogerah is a 11% and maroon is 21%ive had no sucess at these two dam for a while now need tips on fishing them any help would be appreicated

aaron_gilmour
31-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Hi Cloud 9 and Going west,

I have been gone to maroon twice over the last 3 weeks and have been getting some nice bass in the few sessions. I have been fishing the afternoon to just dark period . Most fish have come from the western end in the weed beds.

This area can be frustrating to fish as the weedbeds are scattered and and also at varying depths. Most of the weed beds have a bout a foot of water over them so surface lures are a go.The most successfullure has been a beetlespin rigged with a 1/6-1/8oz TT head and a muskadine/smokeyellowcore slider.
I have also been getting a few on lipless cranks but most on surface lures as the sun starts to set.

My first session between 2 anglers we caught 15 bass between 28-36cm with me getting the 36cm on my first cast of the day.

My second session we only caught 8 bass but had great fun on the surface lures near the timber.

Here is my first cast bass from my first session at maroon for the year.

Cheers
Aaron

31-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Care to share what sorta of pattern those blokes at Hinze cracked to catch the bass Cloudy?

David__Hine
31-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi Aaron nice bass; those batteries you asked about have turned up ; david .

Cloud_9
31-01-2006, 07:59 PM
1337 if i knew id tell you.

01-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Hehehe. Cheers mate and yeah those Hinze bass can be tricky to catch indeed! Were those blokes fishing out of a boat or canoe?

Cloud_9
12-02-2006, 01:08 PM
boat with tiller electric.
brisk troll with hard body lures.
Cloud 9

Elysium
12-02-2006, 03:10 PM
well theres ya pattern ;D

what more do you need to know? It doesnt take long to figure out how deep the lure needs to be running at.