PDA

View Full Version : Glen Lyon report please?

Cordite
19-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Wife pushing me ;) for a drive out to Texas, any word on activity...also anyone been down to Pindari? apparently it suffers from blue/green in the past...Any recent info very much appreciated. Just looking for a feed of yellas and silvas

rossco
19-01-2006, 04:23 PM
have a look in freshwater photos at my sons (cod_buster) report from last week.

Cordite
20-01-2006, 09:15 AM
:-? Thanks rossco but I must be gettin old cauase I just spent 20 mins looking for it and just gave up, can you take me by the hand and lead me to the post ...please ;)

rossco
20-01-2006, 05:24 PM
second from top in freshwater photos, under heading " glenlyon dam, dumaresq river"

cheers
rossco

Cordite
02-02-2006, 12:29 PM
OK went out last few days, got up at 4.00am for early starts. As usual Brian Dare VERY helpful as are the regulars who stay at the park. Caught a few silvers, managed a 38cm male in fantastic condition, the best I've caught, didn't weigh it but around 2.5 kg ..a wonderful fish. Didn't hear of anyone landing cod, but nearly all caught their share of silvers and yellas. Highly recommended.

derfla
02-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Cordite,

was there for a week from the 14th Jan. Have to agree with you, brian dare is one of the most helpful guys i have met. We caught quite a few silvers but all were just undersize. Only caught one cod (my first) just legal size - tasted beautiful. Only heard of a couple of cod caught during the week although a couple were busted off. Very nice park & people. Nice dam but how did you fair with all the weed.

Russ

Cordite
03-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback Russ. I'm an absolute beginner at 54...!!! Been around hunting/shooting for 35 years and did some Bay fishing when living in Mexico about 15 years ago. Also caugt my share of stream and catchment trout in the Snowy. But its ALL new to me up here. The damn weed...!! Yes, it's a curse. Kept getting caught up in the little hire boat and it'd be nice to see a flood in water level kill it all off. I dont know if it has any benefits, maybe fingerlings hide in there, but I forgot to ask Brian before we left. Tortoises a problem when burling worms.
Anyway, all keen and now saving for a boat...missus loves fishing, so it's only a matter of money, not aproval ;) ;)
We're going back before Easter. Will call into Tenterfield Lures and get out give trolling for cod a go. Gee they are superb lures. Actually I'm not sure if they are still in business.
Best
Pete

McCod
03-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Cordite ..... Big Trevor Mcfeetors who made Tenterfield lures. Tenterfield Dart, Aussie 200 etc.... shut shop a few years ago due to bad health and
i have not seen any of his lures in the shops for years wich is a shame as the Tenderfield Dart was and still is a top Cod and Yella lure.

Cheers Les

rossco
03-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Les,guys.. went into the tourist information centre at Tenerfield & they had some hanging on the wall, I thought they were part of a display, had a closer look & they had a price tag on the back of them brought the lot of them. been there for a few years by the price.

cheers
rossco

Cordite
04-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Theres a funny side to this. I've had a new (unused) still on the yellow card, red/yellow Dart sitting in my gunroom for several years. I had it there to remind me to move out of guns into rods so as to speak. Anyway...last time I was out there Brian lent me his own gear to troll for Cod, about 2 years ago, of course I managed to lose two of his favurite lures didn't I ::)!!! He wouldn't accept payment for them either and I felt pretty bad. When I went out the other day, I took the lure but didn't use it. At the kiosk Brian noticed the shiny new lure in the back of the truck. I always intended to give it to him and after he commented on what a good lure it was I asked him to have it, to make up for losing his lures. I think that meant way more to him than if I had paid him for the ones I lost. Naturally I was happy for him to have it. Now I know their not made anymore I can see just why he smiled so broadly ;D Good luck to you Rossco, an opportunity not missed, you lucky b. ;)

rossco
05-02-2006, 06:18 AM
good one Cordite I got a good laugh out of that.Brain knows a good deal when he see one.

cheers
rossco

The_Walrus
22-02-2006, 07:03 AM
When you travel around, it's always worth checking the local outlets for fishing gear.

You can pick up some absolute bargains with lures that have been sitting on shelves for a long time.

Luc