PDA

View Full Version : FISHING AWOONGA WITH TREV

roz
19-02-2006, 05:35 PM
During my time up at Agnes I was keen to get out to Awoonga and try for my elusive first barra.

Trev gave me a call, and arrangements were made for me to meet him at the boat ramp at 3am....yes that is am. The reason being, the barra out there had been very quiet in the daylight hours, maybe due to the hot weather.

Trev's boat is beautifully set up for this type of fishing, and is a credit to him, his lure collection made me green with envy.

The plan was to cast lures at some of his favourite locations and go from there.

The place is very beautiful at that time of night/morning, if not a little surreal, but the barra wern't playing the game, and it wasn't until we had moved to a location holding a lot of timber, that I got my first barra strike.

Unfortunately it didn't hook up, but as it was almost at my feet, I got a very good look at what was almost my first barra.

I would have been very happy with it, as it wasn't a lot under a metre long, it actually hung in the water for a second or two looking at my lure which had run out of room to swim.. bugga!

The sun was welll up so we decided to move back to the main area of the dam and troll some deep diving lures.

Trev's sounder showed up plenty of fish, but the first two on board were catamundi.

Then the big hit. It probably lasted less than ten seconds, I was spooled, one of Trev's lures was gone...bugga again.

The third hit was not as solid as the last and didn't stay connected.... bugga again!!!

Trev finally broke the drought, when he had a solid hook up on a nice barra. He played it like expert he is, and I was able to net it for him.

That was the first time I had ever seen a barra...apart from photos and magazines. What a beautiful looking fish, I can now see what starts the addiction.

As the heat was becoming a bit much, we decided to call it a day.

At this point I must say what a nice person Trev is, fantastic company along with great conversation (fishing topics...what else). Trev is also a very skilled fisho, and is very happy to share his knowlege & gear, I didn't want to give his rod and baitcasters back!!!.

Thanks again Trev for a very enjoyable mornings fishing. Hoping there will be a next time.

Roz

roz
19-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Trev playing his barra.

You can see it in the water near the back of the boat.

roz
19-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Fish on board!!!

roz
19-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Trev with his barra.

roz
19-02-2006, 05:45 PM
One more, incredible looking fish.

WHITTO
19-02-2006, 09:44 PM
:D :DGees Trev, You could have got a photo of Roz holding the Barra,she's got to be better looking, Cheers Whitto ;)

DNO40
20-02-2006, 06:11 AM
Well done Roz, I doubt if Trev would have left without boating one for you to see.
Better luck next time. They have been a little slower in the past few weeks.

DNO

wheezer
20-02-2006, 09:01 AM
whats this? Trev trolling ?!?!?! what is this world coming to!! ;)

bugman
20-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Wheezer,

I was about to say the same thing ! Trolling What tha !!!! Trev really must have wanted to land Roz a barra.

Bad luck Roz - at least you actually saw one this time around unlike last time (sorry about that)

The big girl that hit me on the troll up there just shook me to the bones. The force of when they hit and run using 50lbp braid is just another thing out of this world. My wrist ached for days on the initial impact.

I might be heading up to Biloela for Easter Trev so wondering if your keen for a little dash over to Callide?

Brett

DNO40
20-02-2006, 08:41 PM
You know it's slow when Trevor Trolls.

Sorry Trevor, hand in your membership card.

DNO

roz
20-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Hey Trev,

Are all these gents friends of yours?????

I think I may have inadvertently dobbed you in... I may have ruined my chances. Bugga....again!

Roz

wheezer
21-02-2006, 10:32 AM
freezer freddy coulda made at least one more appearance before resorting to trolling....... ;D seeya in a few weeks.....

DNO40
21-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Don't even know who has freezer Freddy anymore !

I think Trev is keeping it for you (wheezer) and himself to use in a few weeks.

DNO

wheezer
22-02-2006, 08:09 AM
gee thanks for vote of confidence DNO! must've heard all about our last effort up there..... :-[ looking forward to it as always, got leave pass for 4 days this time :)

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
22-02-2006, 09:37 AM
You can thank me for tha trip Roz, I hope you enjoyed sitting in that seat that had my name on it for that morning. I hope you answered all the questions Trev needed feedback on, and came up with new ideas and concepts to satisfy his overflowing mind. We were going mangrove jack fishing,,but some silly nong put a heap of hooks in his arms and legs!!!!!!!!!..hence to say,,,,,,,,no mangrove jack fishing occurred.
johnny
trev,,trolling,,,,i think all of australia is laughing.

roz
22-02-2006, 01:51 PM
What Have I done!!!!! :o

Trev........ friend, buddy, pal. I am truely sorry you are copping all this poo.

I had no idea certain methods of barra fishing are sacrilegious to members of the inner circle, of which I am obviously not one!

Please be very kind to Trev...I made him do it.!!!!!

R

Pash67
22-02-2006, 05:13 PM
The things you do when a lady is on board. I didn't think Trev had it in him. What next Trev - towing a donut around the dam? Or fishing from a jet ski?

;D ;D ;D

Adrian

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
22-02-2006, 10:51 PM
OOps, looks like i got the dates all wrong,,,,wasn't my seat after all Roz.
"There is trolling, and their is "Trolling", just like their is casting, and their is luring!
Trolling is very productive at certain times, and a good troller can outfish most any day of the week. It is an art form that requires a vast array of different skills to maintain maximum results. Their is a huge difference between purposely delivering a lure through fish holding zones and dragging a plastic fish behind a boat. Casting requires more angling and personal skills, trolling requires a totally different set of guidelines that are more knowledge based and revert in a way back to ones ability to interperate sounders and to steer a boat on select pathways.
each is a meritable method in many circumstances.

McCod
23-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Trolling Trolling Trolling..... He He Hee ;D

DNO40
24-02-2006, 06:53 AM
I have an old ski Biscuit in the shed if your'e looking to change your stripes Trev.

Just give me a holler if you wish to borrow it and some warning so as to allow enough time to get the boys together.

Talk soon buddy,

DNO

Awoonga
24-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Have been waiting for my Certificate to arrive from the Trollers Guild....Seems l still dont meet there criteria... Things like falling asleep whist trolling ...Uncontrollable yawning..Not having a bimmi on my boat....And l thought it would be easy....Roz any time you wish to go.... just ring...

roz
24-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Phew!!!!

Thanks Trev, thought I might have to go and sit in the naughty chair for that report.

I certainly will give you a call.

Much appreciated.

Roz