PDA

View Full Version : Another 5 days at Lake Monduran

Freeeedom
10-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Day 1. Arrived at Camp ground about 12.30. Camp all set up by about 2.30. Was keen to get on the water but the black sky in the south west and the constant growl of thunder suggested that I should wait a bit. Good decision! About 4pm it bucketed down. The whole camping area became one sheet of running water. The Amazon River, finding it couldn’t go through my tent decided to go under it. The floor of the tent was like a water bed. Fortunately I was able to sit it out and enjoy a few rums while it passed.
Day 2. On the water next day by 6.30. Sky heavy overcast with a few light showers. Headed up the dam for about 15kms and trolled until lunch time for no result. Talked to other fishermen at the ramp and on the water – not much is being caught. Only one confirmed barra catch. Back to camp for lunch. Concerned about heavy cloud to the north and constant growl of thunder. This time it started at about 2pm. The Amazon flooded again and the rum got another workout. Thinking of admitting the animals two by two, but the moths, bugs, gnats, grasshoppers etc are lined up two million by two million around the light, so hit em with the Aerogard instead. By about 4pm it had passed and I was able to have a barbecue tea which did not become a stew half way through (like last night). By dusk I was getting concerned about heavy cloud in the south west again with the odd growl of thunder. Admitted defeat and retired to the waterbed with the rum bottle. Rest of the night passed peacefully (apparently), or has the tent moved down the hill a few metres?.
Day 3. Sent out a dove. It returned with a barramundi scale the size of a 50-cent piece. God is smiling, I decide and hit the water at 6.30 again. Sky heavy overcast with occasional light showers. Travel about 20kms up the lake and troll for about 6 hours. Take 2 bass (both 47cm) and 1 catfish all within 5 minutes of each other. Couldn’t raise another hit despite working over the same area a few more times. Emergency trip to Gin Gin after lunch for critical rum supplies successful.
Day 4. Out at 6.30 again. Sky overcast but no rain, clouds higher and breaking up (hopefully). Travel about 25km up the lake and work hard trolling likely areas. Take one bass 48cm and three catfish. Talk to other boaties who have one small barra. Lose a nice barra right at the boat, which throws the lure on its final jump.
Day 5. Today has to be barra day since I’m leaving for home at lunch time. On the water before 6.00am and headed up the lake about 20kms. Sky is a funny blue colour and this yellow ball of fire appears rising in the east (must be a sign!). Put out three lures, two in the rod holders and holding the third. Decide that I should put on some sunscreen since the sun has some sting in it even at that hour. Back off the drag on the rod in my lap, put a big blob of sunscreen on my knee and start to spread it on my face. The rod on my lap leaps for the water. I grab it with sunscreen going everywhere and try to tighten up the drag while a nice barra leaps madly out of the water behind the boat. I must have looked like a virgin at his first orgy but the fish was successfully boated (65cm) the mess cleaned up and the lures set out again. At least the carpet in my boat won’t get sunburned for a while! A few minutes later I could see that my left hand lure was going to go very close a tree as I was weaving through the submerged forest. I waited for it to snag up but just as I judged it to be about level with the tree a barra explodes from the water on the wrong side of the tree with my lure in its mouth. “That’s the end of that lure,” I think as I cut the motor but as I grab the rod I have weight and soon another barra about the same size is boated, and it’s still not 7.00am. About an hour later I got another barra about the same size. By about 9.30 I decided it was time to go and headed for the ramp. Interestingly, of the 15 cars at the ramp when I left, 10 were from NSW!
Packed up camp and was on the road just after midday, home by 5.00. Another great trip! – as the saying goes “You wouldn’t be dead for quids!”
Cheers #Freeeedom

Freeeedom
10-03-2006, 08:11 PM
One of the barra

Freeeedom
10-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Fisherman's dream - double hook-up!

TIM-DONSELAAR
10-03-2006, 09:47 PM
great report Freeeedom.....nice bass and barra there mate

shame the double hook-up was catfish and not barra ;D

cheers tim #:D

Kayak1
11-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Hey Freeeedom, can you come up to Awoonga? We need some more rain up here.... Great report....I guess you would have found any small holes in the tent floor.

Cheers,
Steve.

warrior
11-03-2006, 09:38 PM
mate great report ,trolling is only one way of getting those big bucket mouths to bite ,try the small bays and inlets and throw some lures in amongst the lantana bush it works when the fishing is slow and fast cheers AL ps wish i was lucky enough to fish there for five days.