PDA

View Full Version : Canoeing this morning

Jeremy87
23-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Spent this morning chasing bream up towards the dam wall at tinny creek. More or less fresh water atm thanks to all the rain. Decided to give some 3 inch gulps a go today, after about a dozen casts a small bream latches on. Alright not a bad start next comes a flathead them my reel screams a short tussle and a half metre catty surfaces. At this point dad puts a gulp on aswell. Another small flathead in the canoe and we head up to one of my favourite rock bars the tide had just turned and water was moving fairly quickly back over the bar. a long cast up into the rocks and i started to work the plastic back quickly with the flow along the surface in a "walk the dog" fashion and was smashed by a 30-35cm bream (no fish measure)a few casts later and another fish the same size we pulled over to the side and for the next few minutes worked the plastics over the rock bar. we had a solid hit every cast but dropped all the fish half way into the fight. What i would have done for a popper as we had to work it too fast to stop the plastic hooking onto rocks. at this point we ran out of gulps (only had about half a packet) so back to the powerbaits. We worked our way up to the dam wall picking up another few bream. Dad got dominated by something which busted him of on a stick at this point the water was completely fresh and we picked up 3 tilapia the largest was over 40cm's. not an encouraging sign. Obviously they had been flushed over the dam wall when they opened the flood gates. Anyway a good few hours spent on the water even though we got drowned half a dozen times by passing showers.

Canoedle
23-02-2006, 02:57 PM
nice one m8, what sort of canoe you got?
Go the gulps, bloody awesome plastics.

Jeremy87
23-02-2006, 03:07 PM
11ft canadian style canoe. no particular brand made by a bloke with a mold in his backyard shed but it still does the trick.

roz
23-02-2006, 04:49 PM
My canoe is awaiting a refit, maybe I should pull my finger out and get it started. It is a lightweight fibreglass two man, and I mainly use it for bass fishing, but its also seen plenty of lizards come over the side.

Something special about drifting along flicking lures from a canoe, probably the peace and quiet, ey Jeremy. I think you know what I'm talking about.

Cheers Roz

Jeremy87
23-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Yeh it is a great way to fish. Where i fish in tinny creek you can only take a canoe. fishing from the bank is impossible due to the heavy cover in addition the rock bars prevent anyone in a large canoe or no experience in the area from traveling up the creek. Basically it means i have a 4km stretch of creek all to myself regardless of tide, wind and the holiday crowd and its only a few minutes drive down the road. Does however lack bass which is a serious con (the dam wall cut out too much habitat and they are all but extinct from the area). I'm planning go down to the tweed some time and do an overnight canoe fish above the weir but i'd have to pack super light.

Kayak1
23-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Nice post Jeremy. My 'other' fishing outfit apart from the regulatory tinnie is a tandem sit on top polyethelene kayak which i've fitted with rod holders etc. Gets quite a few glances when I'm on the water. More so when the rod doubles over with a good fish. You're right with the otherwise inaccessible areas being opened up. Ever tried putting in a few crab pots in some of these areas? I have with remarkable results. I only take a few of the bigger ones though as these areas are fairly sensitive due to the small systems they occupy. For interest sake check out http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/kayaks.htm There are some really serious fanatics there with lots of innovative ideas.
Cheers.
Steve

roz
23-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Jeremy,

Will PM you with bass info in the Murwillumbah/Tweed area.

Perfect spots for the canoe.

roz

flickflack
24-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Jeremy

Sounds like a beautiful little piece of water, if you head down the tweed way send mr a pm and I could maybe take you out for an early morning session.

Rod

Jeremy87
25-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Went back again today. 6 good bream and a flathead. I also got dominated by something of real size. Big hit that was already running back into the snag when it took it. very smart fish normally with bream if you get their turned you can lead them out of the snag. i couldn't turn this fishes head. I had pressure for about 5 seconds and then snap all i got back was about half of a very burred up leader. i'm thinking jack, way to powerful for a cattie and seemed to fight wrong.

Anyway thanks Roz for the info.

I'll send you a pm later tonight Rod in regards to going for a fish.

goddy100
04-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Steve, really interested in the two man kayak, how is it paddling with just the one person? I know my old fibreglass canadian canoe was a bit of a dog with only one person, but these things look like they would track really well.

Kayak1
05-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Hi Goddy100, I bought the tandem because occasionally another family member goes out with me. I find with one up I have no trouble at all tracking except if there is a strong wind blowing. By keeping the paddle strokes in narrow close to the hull she tracks beautifully. Lots of extra room for gear (crab pots etc). One day I'm hoping a large Awoonga beastie will grace the front position while I snap a photo of her. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to paddling so my opinions are tempered by that lack of experience. I did manage to overturn the mates sit in kayak, but it was a very rough day and he admitted this particular kayak was a bit hairy anyway. My tandem sit on top is super stable and I often paddle out from the bank loaded up with my three (yes 3) girls aboard for them to use it as a jumping platform.

Regards,
Steve.

Canoedle
08-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Think I responded to this the other day, the tandem yak and canadian are very different beasties, I found the yak to sit very well with one person and was almost as agile as the single seater. the canadian sits up in the front and because of this is a bit of a buggar to steer and any little chop makes the front slap and bounce, not cool. Go the Yak! :D

wobbygone
08-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Jeremy,
You play this nick of the woods well. Great to see someone having a ball so close to home. I have spent a lot of hours on the upper sections of the creek just below the dog track , with spin gear and have had some top days fishing.
The issue of those tilapia is one of concern. The dam is full of them, the council don't want to know about it. If we could convince then to stock the dam with something that might eat the buggers out, like barra. I don't think the barra would survive this far south.
It used to be the catfish comp at awonga, the carp comp on the upper logan, how about the tilapia comp on the leslie?
What is your tide preference near the dam wall area?
Thinking might take the canoe and 5# with crazy charlie to temp brimbo or three. Bit tight for fly in places.
Wobbygone.

Jeremy87
08-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Wobbygone, sent you a pm

Roo
09-03-2006, 11:17 AM
hey jeremy,
Have you been down the tweed yet? If not I'd give it a few weeks to clean up since the rain.
I took a trip up to the dam last weekend lots of water going over the spillway. Couldn't resist the temptation and cast a spinnerbait into a back eddy. Found a few bass schooling in the pool out of the main flow. Themisses even had a crack and did better than me. They were all about the 30-35cm size and very lean condition. got bricked by one on the last cast. couldn't stop it.

Cheers, roo

Dodge41
11-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Jeremy
Good report mate, always like the canoe reports

Kayak 1
Australian Kayak Fishing Forum is worth a look as well
www.akff.net/forum