PDA

View Full Version : wet and quiet somerset

bdowdy
01-02-2006, 09:20 AM
hi everyone just a short note telling anyone that may be interested that spent a few days at somerset dam from the 18 of jan to23rd and didnt catch any thing but a cold . it rained for days and to put it mildly it was awet and stinky week. one local caught a catty on worms and thats all we heard. seen a few bony bream floating on top but thats the only fish we seen. has any one heard how its fishing lately, probably firing. oh well thats fishing cheers bdowdy.. :'( :'( :( :( :(

scotty
01-02-2006, 02:54 PM
LEATS THEY ARE GETIN RAIN THERE WE HAVENT HAD ANY RAIN FOR A GOOD MOUNTH IN IPSWICH JUST HOT AND DUSTY HOPE WE GET SOME SOON SOMERSET IS VERY HEAVALY FISHED ALL YEAR ROUND IVE FOND THAT MOOGERAH AND MAROON ARE THE PLACE TO GO THEY DONT CHARGE TO PUT THE BOAT ON THE WATER HavENT HAD ANY SUCESS THER OF A LATE BESIDES A SPANGLE PERCH AT MOOGERAH I WAS FISHING IN THE GEOGE ON THE OTHER SIDE

DIID YOU CATCH MOST OF YOUR FISH FROM THE BANK LATS TIME YOU WERE THERE OR IN THE BOAT IF SO CAN YOU OFFER ME ANY TIPS AS FOR FISHING IN THE BOAT AT MOOOPGERAH THANX SCOTTY

bdowdy
02-02-2006, 06:37 AM
:)hi scotty , last time i fished moogerah was in november and it fished well from bank and boat. i used rattlin vibes trolled and cast towards the banks,caught a lot of fish and even a few big eels. if this doesnt work find the old creek and youll find bigger fish. if you need any more info just sing out. cheers bdowdy ;)

roz
02-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Sounds very quiet, but hope will always spring eternal.... does with me anyway.

Cheers Roz

scotty
02-02-2006, 04:12 PM
when i went there i fished the stick just drifting and casting lures as the boat motor wont run on trolling speed i moved up into the geoge and got a spangled perch on a purple stumpjumper where do i locate the river bed i dont have a sounder or can you see it thanks

scotty

bdowdy
03-02-2006, 09:15 AM
:)i dont have a sounder also but just went off the wall and made my own trolling run from it. i also caught a few spangled perch, but as i said the vibe lures were the trick. cast to egdes and small sticks .hope this helps as it worked for me.( just imagine were the creek bed would be).ihave only a small 3.5 trolling motor and electric motor and i just had to give it agood squirt every now and then so it wouldnt glog the spark plug. cheers bdowdy. ;) :)

The_Walrus
03-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Fished Sommerset on 27/01/2006.

Very quiet all day, nothing showing around the spit, plenty of echoes around bay 13 but no action.

All those I saw/spoke to said the same - no action - even on bait

Results: 3 hits all day, 2 long distance releases and one snag job.

After the losing my lue on the snag I went to one of the small coves opposite bay 13 to rerig and have lunch.

Threw some bread in the water and got instant attention. Started casting small lures (micro mullet etc) and spend the next hour or so having great fun with spangled perch. Some good size ones at around 1/2 kg.

At least the day was'nt a total loss. :)

Luc

fad
03-02-2006, 05:18 PM
good too see rain at somerset long time between drinks.fished their two weeks ago four small bass and a donation of four lures to the snags :-/ :-/

Paul_C
07-02-2006, 09:07 PM
hi everyone just a short note telling anyone that may be interested that spent a few days at somerset dam from the 18 of jan to23rd and didnt catch any thing but a cold . it rained for days and to put it mildly it was awet and stinky week. :(

Sure you where at Somerset, I live here and it aint rained for a week in the last 2 years :o

Paul Cade

bdowdy
08-02-2006, 08:26 AM
:)yep it was somerset alright (kirkleigh camping spot) and it was bloody wet. sat in the tent most of the time drinking beer because it was so wet, the gold coast had floods and i nearly didnt get threw to ballina as they were blocking the roads. i dont know what you were you doing or were you were but it rained and rained hard??????????.cheers bdowdy :)

wrip109
11-03-2006, 06:44 PM
The river bed at Moogarah is too hard to see because its under water and the surface is flat(joke). Roughly if you start at the gorge and cross the dam for about 100 meters you are in the deep water and over the river bed.

Turn right away from the dam wall and keep parallel to the bank keeping about 20 meters out. Head towards the trees in the distance and keep going straight. About 100 meters from the trees turn 45 degrees to the left and keep going for another 100 meters then tuen back because it gets very shallow.

I watched a skier going flat-chat here in 4 foot of water just after I had run my boat into an old fence post.

Phil.
Might try it tomorrow...

greyfox
16-03-2006, 06:21 AM
Hi bdowdy. I agree with everyone else. It's been tough at Somerset. I'm in a club at Rosewood. Twenty of us fished there last month for two tilapia, a yellowbelly and only about seven eeltail catfish. At least the tilapia went 1.3 kgs. each (scary thinking how many young they could produce). We're going there again this weekend and hope the bass are about after the slight rise in water level. Will let you know next week. :'(