PDA

View Full Version : Brizzy River Bass

jackash
12-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Headed up the river with Fincho and Dropshot today to have our first ever crack at bass. Figured its a bit closer to home than the coast so we might as well see if we can find anthing decent there. Well after alot of bush bashing, alot of snags and Sh*t all fish we decided it was time to leave and that fresh water fishing was just a big joke. Well i figured a few more casts wouldnt go astray and after firing out cast after cast and fincho and droppy returning to the car, i finally had a hit. I yelled out to them but no response. Fired out again had another hit and missed it... kept yelling and fired out again and finally hooked up. Now at this stage my yells got so loud fincho and droppy were soon sprinting back down with their gear as i landed my first ever bass. After pelnty more hits i got another one that went about 25 cm, and then fincho nailed one aswell at about 20 cm. Boody awesome fun had heaps more hits, and we were absoultely stoked for our first trip and to find somewhere which we can get to with relative ease. So we are going to be back again in the next few days and trying our luck again. All fish were caught on small poppers which were wound at a slow but constant speed to just get a ripple going...... MAYBE THIS FRESHWATER BUSINESS AINT SO BAD!

Cheers
JAckash

fincho
12-03-2006, 08:14 PM
ASHO,

FINALLY HAVE SOME CONFIDENCE IN THE FRESH WATER WOOOOO!!!! I've got a feeling im gonna be skipping a lot more uni now and hopefully nailing a few more bass! Love the fishing on poppers so exciting when ya get a hit!! We gotta take the camera next time....BRING ON WEDNESDAY WOOOO!!!

FINCHO

jackash
12-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Ohh yeah fincho. So pumped aye. Cant wait to get back out there and get into some bigger ones. Specially when we get the canoe up there. Could be an awesome spot not that far from home.... or uni... who said education was important???

Cheers
Jackash

Toppy
13-03-2006, 08:40 AM
Hey Jackash, sounds like you had some success after a slow start.
Good work fellas!
Cheers
Toppy

Canoedle
13-03-2006, 09:28 AM
If ya see someone floating around in a red and yellow yak, say gday m8. I'll be down there soon. ;)

Matthias
13-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Yeah mate well done. Did ya try out the jitterbug or any small fizzers?
When using surface lures the bass seem to just turn on a hour or so before dark so maybe thats why you found it hard to start with.

Mate I've been fishing every day after uni at Lismore. The Richmond system holds some really nice fish. Keep at it. ;)

jackash
13-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys
Matthias just tiny poppers (not sure what brand) and i was using a tiny little fizzer. Bloody fizzer on the back wasnt spinning at the speed i was winding though but i just got a nice litte rippple going and it still worked. Will definitiely be investing in a few more though!!! What technique would you suggest for bass during the day if the poppers seem to be more successful towards dark???
Cheers
Jackash

Richie_Benaud
14-03-2006, 01:53 PM
fincho and jackash,
canoeing backwaters alone, sounds romantic
RICHIE!

flickflack
14-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Ash

Try small minnows like the micro mullet . You will turn more hits into hook ups. If the water is not deep enough then use a shalower running minnow. As long as it is a small bodied lure.

Rod

dropshot
14-03-2006, 03:38 PM
I have a small (2-3cm) black Skywalker surface lure that I bought to have a crack at bream and I'm going to give it a crack when we head out tomorrow. It doesnt move as much water as the River 2 Sea Poppers but hopefully should still work with the slow retrieve. Has anyone else had any success/lack thereof with these lures?
Cheers,
Kev

jackash
14-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Cheers flick flack. Gota a heap of smaller hard bodies so will definitely have a dig with them. Any tips on the retrieve? and also any for plastics?
Cheers
Jackash

flickflack
16-03-2006, 01:11 PM
I basically use a slow constant retrieve on both , if that doesnt work I will stop the HBody and let it rise a bit then give it a few small tweaks and then start the retrieve again . I use the second one a lot to keep the lure close to the structure.
Cheers Rod