PDA

View Full Version : Monduran 10th

staggy
13-02-2006, 03:02 PM
G-day everyone. Spent a morning on Monduran with Brett from Stillwater charters. The fishing was slow and Brett did warn me before we travelled down but a day on the water is worth any drive I reckon. Monduran is like any dam, sometimes the bite is hot ,some times its cold. You can never be sure what it will be like when you plan a trip several months in advance.
We didnt troll as Im not to keen on trolling so we worked some of Bretts favorite spots working our lures in the shallow water around the edges. My daughter Kate was with us and she managed a nice 60cm barra for her efforts. As usual some catties came out to play. I dont mind catfish as they put up a good fight and they fill in the gaps between Barra . I taught he kids to fish on catties in Awoonga when we lived in Gladstone so they dont treat them as a pest either. A fish on a lure is still a fish.
Brett is one cool dude and he is worth the money for the charter just for the humer and conversation through the morning. He was also full of hints and tips concerning the barra fishing and he answered any question I fired at him about fishing impoundments. I can highly recomend this handsome young bloke to anyone wanting a fun time fishing Monduran.
C Ya

Staggy

J-MAN
14-02-2006, 02:27 PM
G'Day Staggy,
I travelled up from Brisbane to Monduran on the weekend for my first crack at barra fishing. It was quite a change from my usual salt water bait fishing in Southern Qld, but had a great time learning something new. As you mentioned the fishing was slow but persiverance (and a couple of thousand casts) paid off with a nice 83cm barra on Sunday morning. We also fished cast and retrieve at timber and in the shallows around shows of bait. I will be back for another trip for sure. Have photos but not sure how to post them as they are around 950kb.
J-Man.

gone_phishin
14-02-2006, 03:53 PM
G'day J-Man, if you go to this link it will tell you how to resize photo's for posting http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1075561453
Regards
Geoff

J-MAN
15-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the link Geoff, it worked a treat.
J-Man.

J-MAN
15-02-2006, 09:49 AM
On the tape.

J-MAN
15-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Yee ha!

staggy
16-02-2006, 04:23 AM
Great fish J-MAN, got to be happy with them. What lures were you using?

Staggy

J-MAN
16-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Thanks Staggy,
I was really happy to get one on my first attempt. We tried a few lures over the weekend, bills bug fizzers, F18's, gold bombers, classic barras and a few poppers but it was an old Killalure barra bait 125mm 12+ in gold that did the job.

Foxie
16-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Staggy,
You been fishing to much at night and straining your eyes, if you think budda [Brett] is young and handsome. He is a great bloke and top guide but not young and handsome even when he is wearing his leather "G' while out guideing.

Cheers Foxie

staggy
18-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Hey Foxie, He offered to wear the leather G-String to try and improve the fishing but my daughter declined the invite saying his jokes were makeing her ribs hurt from laughing and the sight of him in a string would have been too much.
So have you been wetting a line since your move or are ya to busy.
Got to go

Staggy

black_sheep
24-03-2006, 08:41 AM
You a very harsh man Foxie. Jackie has told me that she cathes you wearing her lingerie all the time ;D.

How goes it mate? I will be doing a visit to the Burdekin dam on the 23rd April for a landcare project and then tracking up to Monduran for a week. We have 2 cabins booked and a crew of 6 so if per chance you up that way yourself, do pop in for a golden perch ;)

Take care mate and say g'day to Jackie for me.