PDA

View Full Version : Wheezer Finally Does It

Awoonga
18-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Andrew has been trying to get into the Metre Club for a long time on Friday he came so close a 99cm ... Well tonight he cracked it 110cm Top Fish it was too......Quick photo and back where it came from so someone else can have the same pleasure....Photos and his story to come

DNO40
19-03-2006, 08:04 AM
Well done Andrew,

Trevor was telling me about your 99cm and how close it was to the metre club.

Please tell me you were casting and not Troooll..... Trooo...... Trooollliii ........ Trolling.

Great stuff anyway, cant wait to see the pics.

DNO

Awoonga
19-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Deno, fishing was hard and Andrew fought hard about my insistence that on this day with the weather condions like they were there was no much hope of getting fish any other way....

wheezer
20-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Hey Trev, thanks for the lead in. This trip was to be my last before the onset of winter. Unfortunately the wind gods were not smiling on us.

Trip started thursday arvo with the drive up from the sunnie coast. Due to Trev having to work friday at the last minute means we were not priveliged with the 'horse whisperers' presence for the first part of our trip. My partner in crime for this assault was fellow barra junkie and Barra Jacks staff member Ben Madin. He had managed to crack the metre club on his first trip to Awoonga last december after a few disappointing trips to Faust. A few stops for food and fuel saw us at the boat ramp at 11pm. Moon was out and a slight breeze was blowing. The boat was loaded up including the swags as we decided to sleep in the boat in between casting sessions.

We ran over to maccas to see if the drive through was operating. The adrenalin was flowing and anticipation was high as the first few casts were fired but unfortunately for us the barra had other ideas. The haunting sound of a dingo on the prowl broke the eerie silence and after a fruitless 2 1/2hour session we pulled stumps and decided to try an area that Hodgie told us about after doing really well on his recent trip. If you ever get to meet the big man, he is a legend. I bumped into him at my local tackle shop during the week and ended up taking an extended lunch break as we talked all things impoundment barra. He was only too happy to share with us his knowledge of not just impoundment fishing, but fishing in general. 2am saw the lures hit the water once more, but again all was quiet on the barra front. By 3am the eyelids were getting heavy so we put down the rods and decided to rest up for a big session friday.

2 hours later the first glow of the impending morning sun could be seen. I spent a bit of time working over the area we had been targetting only a few hours before while I waited for Ben to stir. The morning was beautiful, a light mist rising off the dam, birdlife all around us preparing for the day. It truly is Gods country! Anchor was pulled and we headed up the dam to target some likely looking weed beds. We worked over a large weedbed that had produced for some other fishos on a previous trip to no avail. We moved to another that had fish written all over it. Fairly abrupt end to the weedbed meant we could cast our lures right to the edge and work them back out in the hope of capturing the attention of any barra prowling the edge waiting for an easy meal to stray from the cover of the weed. This weedbed also had the added advantage of some timber cover. We worked from the standing timber towards the open weedbed. As we neared the end of the timber a large boil appeared near the boat, far to large to be a barra lolly and indicated a decent fish was in the area. Sure enough a few casts later I was smashed! The fish headed deep, and effortlessly peeled off 5kg or more of drag from my millionaire. Ben sprung into action and whipped out his video camera. After trying to rid itself of its newly aquired lip piercings by slugging down deep I saw my braid rapidly moving away from the boat as the fish accelerated towards the surface. The slab of silver breached a few times before surrendering and came boat side and was guided into the net. Hopes were high as this was a beautiful fish and I was sure I had finally popped my cherry and cracked triple figures. The brag mat came out and it looked the goods until the fish was positioned correctly and stretched out to 99cm! I could not believe it! After busting my gut for so many trips I was a measly 1cm short! A few happy snaps and it was back into the water to do some growing and hopefully make another anglers day.

We worked up and down the weedbed a few more times in the hope of picking up a few of her mates but there was no further action. We spied another weedbed further along and upon arrival Ben noticed a fairly sizeable fin piercing the surface. Only problem was it was smack in the middle of this weedbed! We had heard about this before but never seen it till now. I stupidly lobbed my RMG into the middle of this weedbed. I must of virtually donged this fish on the head as the water erupted on impact but unfortunately the trebles could not find their mark. I should have chucked the tango dancer in there and walked it through the weed, but I guess that is the benefit of hindsight! Things went quiet and by 9.30am we were setting up camp and preparing for the afternoon/night session.

Trevor finally escaped work and we met him at the ramp late in the afternoon. We headed to dude ranch in the hope of tempting some fish out of heavy cover. Again the fish weren't playing ball. its becoming apparent to me that these barra can be compared to a spoilt teenager...chucking a tantrum for no reason and refusing to come out to play! If they could talk I reckon they'd spend their whole life whinging about something! waters too hot/cold...wind is coming from the wrong direction to eat...moon is too bright....your lure is the wrong colour...

As the cover of darkness fell we moved our attention to the weedbeds but again things were very quiet. An early night was called for and it was decided we would put in a big day at the office on saturday, fishing basically non stop from dawn into the night. The subject of trolling had been a hot topic, as I hate it! I don't believe there is alot of skill involved, you just chuck lures out the back and drag them around in the middle of the basin until you get a fish. Now you can watch your sounder for things like bait balls,algae blooms and good shows of fish but at the end of the day you just sit back and do nothing, really. I was determined not to get my first horse in that way. Trevor on the other hand has opened his mind to the fact that sometimes the only way to nail a fish is by trolling. He has come out of the closet if you will! Benny, too, is a keen troller so it was decided that if no fish could be taken in the morning casting session then I would surrender and the trolling would commence.

Saturday morning dawned with a decent wind starting to whip up. We knew there was a cyclone intensifying up north and its presence was being felt all the way down to Awoonga. We went back up to the weedbed where I had gotten the fish the day before in the hope of repeat success. A number of large barra were again seen finning up in the weedbed, just off the deep water. I was ready this time and had the other rod rigged with a tango dancer. Unfortunately the barra were not in the mood, must've been up there getting a massage or a tickle from the weed. As the sun rose higher we still had no result casting in a number of areas. We saw a number of boats trolling and watched as a boat hooked up and a smaller barra was netted. We noticed it did not make it back to the water. If I may just get a little off track now I know that it is a put and take fishery but basically everyone we spoke to in the park were keeping their fish. One group from NSW had brought up freezer and had filled it with 37 fish!! I'm not sure if that is entirely necessary.....

Back to the report, well, we relented and a spread of crazy deeps was laid out and the trolling commenced. We trolled from the top of the dam back towards the boat ramp and after rounding dingo island a large algae ball was sounded with big arches hanging off it. Sure enough my line got hit and a smallish barra of around 65cm was released after a few acrobatics boatside. Rods out again and we doubled back in the hope of relocating the algae bloom but it was not to be. A few more hours dragging the lures around and we called it quits for lunch.

Back out on the water mid afternoon and a few cattamundi were hooked while chasing barra around the birds lazing about in the middle of the dam. Again though the trolling was very quiet until the sun started getting ready for bed. First Trevor got nailed, he struck so hard that he rolled over backwards, legs in the air as he fought to keep slack out of the line. Unfortunately the fish avoided the hooks. We watched a boat next to us hook up and subsequently drop what apppeared to be a decent fish. Another lap was called for and as we turned I got a good strike but again no hookup. We decided to troll across a point that has produced for Trevor during previous casting sessions. As we neared the point I got slammed! Line peeled off at an alarming rate and the thumbs went down. Almost instantly I could see the bottom of my spool with only a few wraps left. We gave chase and suddenly the line went limp. Pumping hard I thought I'd lost it but then as I wound up slack and took weight I realised the fish had turned and was coming towards us! After a few more big runs the fish materialised by the boat.At first I thought it was again going to miss the mark but when it came to the net after much encouragement from Trev and Ben I realised it was a solid fish. I must say a big thanks to Trev for giving great advice through the fight. I am used to fishing in heavy cover catching smaller fish and getting the fight over quickly. As Ben struggled to lift the net into the boat Trev prepared the brag mat. Laying the fish on it it went 110cm neat. Although it didn't come exactly the way I wanted it I felt alot of weight off my shoulders as I had been working towards this goal for many trips. More happy snaps and a tickle to the top of its mouth and the magnificent fish powered away. We trolled around into the night with Trevor and Ben both getting hits but unfortunately no more hookups.

Back to the ramp by 9.30pm with the plan of hitting the dam at dawn again but the wind had other ideas and sunday was aborted. I'm glad to have finally gotten the fish I'd been chasing. I'll be taking a break from impoundment fishing for the next few months although it won't be all bad as I'll be heading to hinchinbrook for a week of camping and fishing in may. As usual i was already planning the next trip on the long drive home. Once again a big thanks to Trevor, it was great to have his company on the boat, also to my mate Ben.The conversation never stopped and to me that's what I enjoy most about my fishing, not the awesome fish or the incredible scenery, but sharing all of that with good mates. Pics to follow......sorry about the lengthy post!

pic of 99cm

wheezer
20-03-2006, 10:15 AM
99 again...I'm stoked!

wheezer
20-03-2006, 10:18 AM
110 finally!

wheezer
20-03-2006, 10:22 AM
release of the big girl, forgot to say check out the size of the tail in the pic above! Thanks DNO I've been told that once you get one, it's alot easier to get your next...time will tell I guess and I can't wait for the next trip!

raefpud
20-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Big congratulations Andrew - u put the effort in and you deserve to reap the rewards - Well done, top effort

bigdan123
20-03-2006, 02:37 PM
well done Andrew :) very nice fish.
your report is one of the best i have read in a long time ;) :) :)

Dan

TonyM
20-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Way to go Andrew!

I haven't got my metrey yet (not for want of trying) so I have an idea how you must have felt to finally join the club! :)

Excellent report and great to see mate. Well done! :D

wheezer
20-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys! I had decided a while ago that once I cracked triple figures that I would treat myself to a fibreglass cast of a fish as close as possible to the size (but not bigger!) and mount it on the wall with the lure that did the damage hung out of the mouth. In light of the fact I picked my first horse up on the troll I will hold off and bestow the honour to a fish caught casting.....besides i also wanted a pic of the 'real thing' under it and was not happy with any of the happy snaps taken...

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
21-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Good onya mate! Nice Catch.
Thats what fishing guides are for. Put you onto that fish casting, and take that top pic your after!
Johnny M

Mak579
22-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Again the fish weren't playing ball. its becoming apparent to me that these barra can be compared to a spoilt teenager...chucking a tantrum for no reason and refusing to come out to play! If they could talk I reckon they'd spend their whole life whinging about something! waters too hot/cold...wind is coming from the wrong direction to eat...moon is too bright....your lure is the wrong colour...

Couldn't have said it better myself !!!!

Great Report and pics, congratulations

Matt

McCod
24-03-2006, 02:44 PM
congratulations on the metery wheezer #[smiley=thumbsup.gif] been a long time coming.

# # Cheers Les

wheezer
24-03-2006, 09:30 PM
thanks Les hows the search for 7' bay casting blank going? After using my new Hastings 6kg I would highly recommend one of those in the 7' length, by far the nicest rod I've ever casted with.

McCod
26-03-2006, 05:32 PM
thanks Les hows the search for 7' bay casting blank going? After using my new Hastings 6kg I would highly recommend one of those in the 7' length, by far the nicest rod I've ever casted with.

Still looken into it mate .... soo many to choose from. Only confusing myself at the moment :-/ . Will be in touch.

Cheers Les

roz
26-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Top report, thoroughly enjoyed it.

I still have a long way to go before I reach your standard, I have now been bitten by the bug.

Very good photos too, particularly the last one (releasing).

Congrats

roz

wheezer
27-03-2006, 08:01 AM
thanks roz, my planned hinchinbrook assault in may has come unstuck so looks like I'll be heading back to awoonga instead......it's hard not to get addicted to the chance of tangling with such large fish!

szopen
27-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Congratulations.
Well done.

Hardrigger
27-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Excellent fishing mate if im half as lucky on my trip up ill be happy mate

jimbamb
30-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Well done mate,no longer a virgin!!!!
PS havent forgotten our deal.been busy.will catch up with u later.

Louis
30-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Well done

Louis

wheezer
30-03-2006, 09:45 PM
thanks guys, will talk to you soon jimbamb!

Tri-Kun
30-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Woah wheezer, congrats