PDA

View Full Version : Agnes/1770 M&G visit to Awoonga.

roz
26-03-2006, 07:22 PM
The windy weather we were having at 1770/Agnes during our M&G meant the chances to fish salt water were remote.

So being a versatile bunch, the decision was made to give Awoonga a go, although I think it was always going to be on the itinerary.

The starters were Herby, Dale, Phill, Tony, Josh, Pete, John & myself.

Pete & John in one boat, Tony’s boat had Dale, Josh and Herb and myself in Phill’s.

We left Agnes not long after 3am to give ourselves an early start, that put us at the boat ramp at around 4.30.

After a brief discussion it was decided to lure cast around the trees, lucky for us Tony had the foresight to bring some extra barra lures along, some of us were fairly new to this type of fishing, and Herb, Dale & myself had never caught a Barra before. My lure collection consists mainly of Bass lures, which are way to small.

After a short run we arrived at spot X, I must say how amazing the place looks just on sunrise.

Any plans to remain as quiet as possible were out the window, as quite a few of Herby and Phill’s casts resulted in lures dangling from high up branches. I think we sounded like a herd of elephants crashing through the timber (sorry fellas), although I must say the rods they were using were not designed for that type of fishing.

After a while, with our confidence building, and the casts becoming more adventurous, the first Barra of the day hit my lure and stayed connected, and after a brief struggle I was able to lift a nice little barra into the boat.

Herby quickly snapped some photos for me, then my very first Barra went back into the water. We can only guess it was around 60cm.

Herby’s turn was next, and a very good cast was rewarded with an almost identical fish. This was also Herb’s first Barra, so the photos were taken and then the fish was released.

Tony, Josh and Dale were fishing around 30 metres away, and short time later we all heard a very big splash, which just happened to be Josh’s lure being slammed by a very big fish, sadly it didn’t hook up.

The rest of the morning passed by without any more action in our boat. Tony’s crew landed another Barra around the same size as ours, and I believe the honour went to Tony.

We eventually decided to move back toward the main part of the dam, but on the way pulled into a small inlet/gully to stretch our legs, it was there that Josh hooked up and landed another small Barra.

That turned out to be it for the day, and we headed home very happy to finally reach another mile stone. I am now more than pleased with my ABU bait caster and choice of a samurai rod.

I hope to be back at Awoonga some time in June, and maybe lucky enough to have another fish with Trev.

Would like to finish off by saying a big thankyou to Phill & Herby for their great company, also to Tony for providing the successful lures….Herby and I decided to buy ours as a memento.

Roz

roz
26-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Herb doing the right thing.

roz
26-03-2006, 07:28 PM
to fight another day.

roz
26-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Josh caught this little barra in about one metre of water....(hope that's correct)

roz
26-03-2006, 07:32 PM
my first barra

TIM-DONSELAAR
27-03-2006, 12:09 PM
good report and great pictures [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

congratulations on your 1st barra roz

cheers tim #:)

DALEPRICE
27-03-2006, 04:28 PM
excellent report and top photos roz,
well, it was a great day and just watching tony and
josh work their magic was enough for me.
congrats to all barra captures but i will still remain
a barra virgin. thanks to tony and josh once again.
cheers dale

Lucky_Phill
27-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Yes Roz, the pics are great in particular the Herbsters Release !

You forgot to mention the Tree'd Lure Retrieval lesson you taught me. :-[

With all that practice on Bass down your way, I take me hat off to you regarding that method. Patience,,,,,,,,,,,, I know....... easy as it goes.

Hope Trev doesn't mind you putting a run on the board from the Skanky Hoe, I know he wanted to be the one to get you your first Barra, but maybe he can put you onto that Meter Barra ;) :o

You are dead right about Herby and my fishing " poles ". Those little baitcasters are the only way to go in those trees etc.

So looks like we have to attack Awoonga again at the next M & G. I'm up for another crack at my first Impoundment Barra. 8-) :)

OH......how many of those lures are you going to ' find ' next time. It's 2 lures from 2 trips at the moment..........well spotted.

Cheers Phill

McCod
27-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Good one Roz.... glad to see you finally got one [smiley=thumbsup.gif].

Cheers Les

Hookem_Herby
28-03-2006, 10:39 AM
What a handsome looking fella!! [smiley=gorgeous.gif] ;D :P

Was great to get a barra on my first attempt and am certainly keen to get back there and have another crack at them with a baitcaster outfit that's more suited to that kind of fishing.
A HUGE [smiley=dankk2.gif] has to go out to Phill, who not only hosted Roz and myself on his boat for the morning, but also spent much of the day paddling us into and thru snags and dead trees which severely reduced his fishing (and lure retrieval) time. Thanks mate, was very much appreciated. ;)

Also a big thank you to Roz for taking some happy snaps and managing to capture the release as well as she did. The lil guy took off like a FLASH! [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Last but not least, thanks to Tony and Josh for their local knowledge and giving us some lures to try out. Was nice to score a fish on mine and naturally it's now a 'barra favourite'. lol ;D ;D

Let's do it all again in October. ::)

Cheers,
Herby

Awoonga
28-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Roz.. The rest will come easy now.....And they will be from Casting....Thats for sure.. ::) ::) Just give me a call and we will go get,em :D ;) :)

jeffo
28-03-2006, 07:41 PM
bloody beautiful!! now just need a meter plus fish ;)

cant wait to get up there and give them a shot!!

roz
29-03-2006, 02:01 PM
You forgot to mention the Tree'd Lure Retrieval lesson you taught me. #:-[
Cheers # Phill

Phillip!!!

You and Herbert are very lucky I didn't have the camera handy when the two of you had to use a rope to pull down a tree that had Herb's lure dangling from it's top branches.

Stuffed if I know how he got it up there :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

cheers weiler

Jeffo,

get yourself up there in October, we are going to invade Awoonga again!!

Lucky_Phill
29-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Tree........Tree........... What Tree ? 8-)

No pics.....no evidence :P

Don't mention trees, Roz, the Nissan is still not back on the road. Bugga ! :'( :'(

Cheers Phill

agnes_jack
31-03-2006, 12:51 PM
And a great day it was!!!
No big fish but enough to keep us amatures happy.
Congrats Roz and Herbie on your firsts!!
Phil sure did a lot of paddleing, his new name should be Minn #(min kota)
We managed to get out of the strong winds in a nice little arm of the lake, and I reckon we all had a ball. We missed a few big hits, with Josh missing a monster, at least we got a bit of a look at the big girl. Seems to be the story every time I go there ::) Always seem to get a biggun to strike but we are yet to pull a big one from the trees :'( :'( #One day ;) But Josh and I are determined that our first freshwater, meter plus fish will be cast and not trolled >:(
Dale, it was an absolute pleasure to have you aboard, I don't think I have ever had anyone on my boat as considerate as you, You just never got in the way. (I recommend Dale as a deckie to anyone ;)
Josh only landed the one litle fella, out of a side creek, but probably got the award for the most strikes.
I only landed the one, and also missed a few. You have seen a pic of Josh's. heres a pic of mine

agnes_jack
31-03-2006, 01:14 PM
One of the scenery

Phil
I must go and take a photo of that tree ::) ::) ;) ;)

roz
31-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Tony,

You are right about Dale.

Brian wants to adopt him and so do I.

cheers Roz