PDA

View Full Version : Hinze Bass Electric

Toppy
03-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi guys, I fished the bass electric comp at Hinze yesterday with Brandon from Gold Coast Tackle. After a very cold start at 7am we motored up the west arm of the dam towards Ians Island.

We fished a few likely looking points & bays for a very dismal first few hours. Although the fishing was slow the weather was superb, warm & sunny with a south/west turning into a north/easterly.

A combination of lures were thrown including Jackals,mask vibs, sliders,poppers & hard bodies. A few half hearted swirls where encounted on poppers but none of the usual spectacular strikes.

Brandon soon turned things around & lifted our confidence when he hooked up on a 36cm bass. It was caught on a gold jackal that was hopped along the bottom in 15-20ft of water just out from a gentle sloping bank.

The marker boy was dropped as the sounder showed a large concentration of fish just off the bottom. We tried every trick that we knew with nothing more than a few short takes on sliders that didnt stick.

With only one hour before weigh inn we decided to make our way back, throwing jackals at structure along the way. We made it back to the ramp with time to spare & decided to compare notes with a few of the guys. The fishing was tough all round & even some of the seasoned bass anglers got skunked (fishing equivalent to crickets out for a duck).

A few nice fish were weighed & released & only a few anglers got bag (caught the required two fish). All up it was a top day on the water & the company and weather made up for the slow fishing.

If anyone out there has given these comps a thought, go for it!
At $20 per person + a fishing permit its one of the cheapest comp around. The anglers are friendly & like minded people so its easy to relate & there is one on most weekends.
Cheers for now
Toppy

Toppy
03-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Shotgun Start

Toppy
03-04-2006, 08:44 AM
The awfull conditions

Toppy
03-04-2006, 08:45 AM
The Smile Says It All

Mak579
03-04-2006, 08:51 AM
Great Report and Pics Toppy,

noticed on a previous post that you were getting a new boat, has it arrived yet ?? (Your Post selling the edgetracker)

Matt Coleman

Canoedle
03-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Gee, looks ugly down there Toppy, too bad you didnt get much action, are these comps open to paddle craft?

Toppy
03-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey Matt, its here :) I just need to sell my 585sf Haines before I pick her up :'( I've paid a deposit & hope to put some more money towards it as soon as I get back from O.S.
Hope the fishings been good to you up there in sunny N.Q.!
Cheers
Paul

Canoedle, thats a good question mate!
I guess it would be ok if you are up for it, but would pay to check with the organisers. call Tony Payne on 0409260977
One of the requirments is you need to be able to keep 2 x bass alive per person in a good size live well. An esky is good enough if you check them & bucket water in & out often.
Hope to see you at the next one at Clarie Hall or Hinze!
Cheers
Paul

Canoedle
03-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks Toppy, reckon it could be worth a laugh if they'll let me.

tonyp
03-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Yes Hinze was a great day, Water a morning to be on the water. For the competitors anyway. Toppy glad you had a good day and your report was spot on. Bradon loves his Bass fishing. One thing in your report Ian's island is up the Western arm ;)

Canoedle,

Don't laugh there is a guy who won a Clarrie hall comp in his canoe, Or in top 3 from mempry. He fished Hinze last year and beat every boat up to Ian's island. He had it setup with a esky and airator and the Bass were fine. So as long as you have the energy you can fish from one. The next Hinze comp will come round very quick. And th esame people will be running it.

Cheers Tony Payne

tonyp
03-04-2006, 09:24 PM
double post ::)

Archer
03-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks Toppy, reckon it could be worth a laugh if they'll let me.
If theres one on Clarrie Hall we can take the punt out m8 for a laugh....You know how good i am at catching Bass though. Hope theres good supply of catfish in Clarie Hall there about the only freshwater fish i can catch! ;D
Toppy im assuming its a fairly relaxed kind of setup? More for abit of fun and a few laughs than an out and out comp yea?

Canoedle
03-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks for that Tony, I'll be in one of these soon, either in Archer's punt or out of the yak, got a little aerator here and should be able to strap the esky on the kayak somehow. ;)

Toppy
04-04-2006, 07:57 AM
Thanks Tony, I think I have the same syndrome my wife has the next symtom is can't read a street directory. ;D
Cheers
Paul

Archer, yep its very laid back, guys still wanna do well but its all about fun. You see & hear about some funny things that happen in comps, like catching water dragons on spinner baits & blokes falling overboard etc ;D
cheers
Paul

Canoedle, being low to the water it might even give you an edge with the sneaky aproach!
cheers
Paul

Canoedle
04-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Usually does m8 ;) I see a lot more fish from the kayak than I ever have from a boat. I just have to work out the logistics of taking a live tank. I'm sure I'll think of something. ;)

Canoedle
04-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Tony or Toppy, could you help me out with a link to the info site please? :-[

tonyp
04-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Tony or Toppy, could you help me out with a link to the info site please? #:-[

http://www.australianbass.com.au/html/

Canoedle
04-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Cheers m8 :)

Mak579
05-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Hey Matt, its here I just need to sell my 585sf Haines before I pick her up I've paid a deposit & hope to put some more money towards it as soon as I get back from O.S.
Hope the fishings been good to you up there in sunny N.Q.!
Cheers
Paul

Toppy,
bit windy and rainy up here - unfortunately more wind and not enough rain ::)

I've seen a couple of pics of the new boat, very nice, very fast!!! You'll have to take me for a spin the next time your up, I'm starting to get a few wrinkles that need to be smoothed out ;D

Matt

Toppy
06-04-2006, 07:25 AM
No problem Matt, happy to take you to the wrinkle clinic! ;D
It wont be as fast as Lindsay Dobes, he got a red one with a 135 or 150hp optimax, its a sweet rig.
I went for the 115 merc 4 stroke, thought it would be a bit more versitile at low revs etc.
Catch you when I get back from Ascension Island.
Cheers
Paul