PDA

View Full Version : Cairns Fishing Update Part two

Fishcairns
23-04-2006, 04:24 PM
:-XApril 23, 2006

FISHING REPORT - Part B

We found our way down to a grass-covered bend where a small creek and soak was discolouring the main river. A few nervous baitfish could be seen scurrying along the edge. John tossed his Spook and I instructed him to retrieve it slowly along the bank.

He had almost completed his retrieve, lifted his head and was about to do likewise with his rod when BOOF!…right at the side of the boat a barra estimated at 20+ lb had a shot at his lure and sprayed us all with water. Now John did not see it but his lady and I certainly did. That would have been a memorable catch indeed……so they don’t follow lures to the boat then eh Les? This was all that I needed to get fired up and with determination to prove him wrong I parked the tinny amongst the weeds and told them to continue casting parallel to the grass verges.

I switched to a red and white bomber for instant success, but John had raised a couple for fish on his Spook so I rummaged through my tackle box. Trying to resist the temptation to imitate this new found barra killing action, I hooked on a Japanese made imitation. In about ten casts I had eight hits, hooked up to four barra and landed a couple of just under legal size. John had about the same hit rate, but being a bass fisherman he just could not resist the urge to strike as hard as he could and failed to hook up. His lady friend did likewise on successive casts. Got the strikes but missed the fish.

Now I won’t continue with a blow for blow descriptions as we headed downstream, but suffice to say that throughout the day we raised at least 17 barra, hooked up to about eight but only landed three in the boat. We landed a couple of jacks as well as few small trevally. All in all, not a bad days fishing under the conditions.

And the moral of the story…….open your mouth and your bound to get something stuck in it (do barra hit lures at the boat?) and always be prepared to learn something new. I had used soft-bodied Zara Spooks in the billabongs of the Mary River system out of Darwin years ago. I had not considered them since and the hard bodies versions that John was using was certainly the lure for the day. By using a very slow, jerky retrieve this lure sways tantalising from side to side across the surface………the barra, jacks, trevally and JP’s just could not resist it that day. I NOW HAVE ONE IN MY TACKLE BOX.

Blue water scene:
With all this lousy weather were having at the moment…..a strong wind warning and even a gale warning a few days ago, well just forget it. But Billfish has reported good fishing with light tackle gear just prior to the blow. Quality spaniards to 30 + lb were about along with various tuna.

Cape York:
This is usually the start of the dry up north but we are having a prolonged big “wet”. The Archer River was 12 metres over the causeway last week, most gulf town are flood bound and the rivers are spewing out huge volumes of fresh…….but when it all starts to settle down those barra, jacks and salmon will be queuing up at the gutter mouths to gorge themselves on the easy pickings.

This big wet is fabulous. Although it is a real pain in the you know what right now, this is what makes our fishery so vibrant for years to come. The bigger the wet, the more recruitment to our fish stocks occurs. We will see much improved catch rates right across the Top End for years as a result.

So, let it rain BUT I’d like it to stop - like tomorrow!

See you on the water.
Regards, Les Marsh

Bad_Bubby
23-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Yeah Les its been difficult lately hasn't it :-[. This rain and amount of fresh in the estuaries makes fishing these systems a difficult proposition but I'm hoping things will fire up later in the year.

Owen
25-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Great report Les :)
Good to see a guide who really cares about the experience that his clients are shown.

cheers,
Owen

scuttlebutt
25-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Nice one Les. I'm thinking about having a look around Cape Grafton if the wind drops below 20 knots anytime soon. Do you have any thoughts on whether the pelagics could be expected in that area at the moment?

cheers,

steve

TinarooTriumph
26-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Fantastic report Les!

I hope my spot on the headwaters of the North Johnstone is still there :'( . Will try the Russell again soon where it crosses under the Bramston Beach road (i beleive thats the road :-?). Les do you have any idea as to how bad Bramston Beach copped larry?. Ive got some great spots there and im hoping the Plantation Resort or whatever it is is still there and running so ive got a pace to bunk their.

Cheers mate.

TinarooTriumph 8-)