PDA

View Full Version : Eungella

staggy
11-05-2006, 04:50 AM
Took some friends from Charters Towers up to Eungella for a flick. Mandi was a first time lure chucka as she is from the old school and uses bait and a hand reel. They fish for sootys in the Burdakin back home. Mark has fished with me at Eungella before and had G'd his missus up on tall tails of bust offs and half meter sootys. So expectations were running high. I can tell you they got pretty excited when they had a double hook up in the first 20min on the water. We caught 19 nice sootys for the morning and droped several others.
Needless to say the chick flicker won the day with the best two fish.
Soft plastics were off the menue this trip. All the fish were caught using hard bodies.
As you can see from the pic the weather conditions were shocking,,NOT.
First time Iv fished there and had not the slightest breeze for the whole morning. Water temps were from 20.9 to 23deg.

C Ya

Staggy

bdowdy
11-05-2006, 11:38 AM
:)bloody nice sooty,sounds like you had a terrible day ;) ;) ;D.what sort of hard bodys were you using. cheers bdowdy ;) ;D

Gutsy
11-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Yeah, good fish. What lures and what technique? Jigged by the trees?

TinarooTriumph
11-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Eungella is so much like Koombooloomba, but id rather K'ba anyday :)

Great fish.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

staggy
12-05-2006, 05:10 AM
G-day bdowdy and Gutsy. We were using Little lucifers, and rattlin spot type lures. Colour didnt seem to make much of a difference. We caught them on pink, yellow, green, brown and blue. We just threw in hard up against any good lookin structure and done the normal stop start retreive.

Dont know if you'v ever been to Eungella Tinaroo-T but its a fair bit different to Koombaooloomba. the surounding country at koomba is much easier on the eye then eungella but The sootys iv caught from it are no where near as good as the Eungella freight trains. Koomba has better lookin water making it better for sight casting. But to be fair Iv only fished Kmba a few times when I was living in Malanda. Last time I fished there was around 6 or 7 years ago on a trip up north with my brother-in-law. He was using a mongeral red crawdaddy lure and kicked my butt big time.

Im off to the beach this morning flickin soft plastics for flatties while the missus walks the dog. Been getting some nice fish over the yabbie beds on the out going tide.

C Ya latter.

ps.. shot of another Eungella sooty caught by my young fella a few moons ago.

Staggy.

TinarooTriumph
12-05-2006, 04:46 PM
G-day bdowdy and Gutsy. We were using Little lucifers, and rattlin spot type lures. Colour didnt seem to make much of a difference. We caught them on pink, yellow, green, brown and blue. We just threw in hard up against any good lookin structure and done the normal stop start retreive.

Dont know if you'v ever been to Eungella Tinaroo-T but its a fair bit different to Koombaooloomba. the surounding country at koomba is much easier on the eye then eungella but The sootys iv caught from it are no where near as good as the Eungella freight trains. Koomba has better lookin water making it better for sight casting. But to be fair Iv only fished Kmba a few times #when I was living in Malanda. Last time I fished there was around 6 or 7 years ago on a trip up north with my brother-in-law. He was using a mongeral red crawdaddy lure and kicked my butt big time.

Im off to the beach this morning flickin soft plastics for flatties while the missus walks the dog. Been getting some nice fish over the yabbie beds on the out going tide.

C Ya latter.

ps.. shot of another Eungella sooty caught by my young fella a few moons ago.

Staggy.

G'day Staggy. Yes ive been to Eungella once before, a very long time ago though. Its a nice place. Went well on the trip i went on, 10 in about 60mins, all above 38cms.

Koombooloomba = Fantastic scenary, fantastic water, great fish, and heaps of timber! Perfect.
Eungella = Nice scenary, Great fish aswell, and heaps of timber aswell!

Id have to call it evens mate! Is it a bigger Sooty fishery now then Koomba? I cant see any dam having a larger Sooty population then Koomba, but if Eungella has, then my next set of holidays are now occupied ;D . Also, when i went to Eungella that once there was alot of water craft there. Did i strike a unusual day or is it a fairly busy lake? Because Koomba, youve got 1550ha of water to your very own self 9/10 times. And if i WASNT catching fish at Koomba (VERY VERY unlikey), then id be quite content to zoom around the place and take in the picturesque scenary.

We might be going to Koomba again quite soon, ive heard the road is fairly ok now. So when i do we are gonna take the boat out, top it up with fuel and buzz/zoom all around the dam again looking for new timber and hotspots.

Cheers.

TinarooTriumph 8-)