PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mac bass

tiges
13-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Had a couple of hrs up my sleeve this arvo so popped up to Lake Macdonald for a quick fish. Wasn't sure how I'd go as I hadn't been there for a while, and like most impoundments it usually helps a great deal to be fishing somewhere more reguarly so you might have a head start on where the fish are holding etc. Luckily I found some fish in an area that has been productive for me before, and I ended up catching 5 reasonable bass. Started out with the ever faithful smoke core slider grub rigged on a beetle spin and got a couple 34 and 37cm respectively. The fish were holding on an area of flats in 4-5m of water, kinda patchy with bunches of fish spread here and there. They were pretty tight to the bottom, which usually means they're not really feeding, but they seemed to be active. I've had good success with the aforementioned lure in similar circumstances before, and normally would have just kept plugging away with it. Because of it's success in the past I hadn't jumped onto the jackal bandwagon, as beetlespins seem to be as versatile and work in the same type of scenarios. But a few weeks ago curiosity got the better of me and I grabbed a couple of 'em. With the fish holding quite close to the bottom I tied on one of the soft bodied jackal's and hopped it slowly along the bottom, slowly lifting the rod tip up about a metre and then winding in the slack on the drop. It worked a treat and over the next half an hr I got 3 more solid bass around 40cms. It goes without saying I'm pretty impressed with the lure. The fish seemed to disperse after this and i was only seeing the odd show here and there. I haven't got a live well on my boat, and perhaps the released fish shut down the action. Tried the regular tn60 hard body and back to the beetlespin, but show seemed to be over so decided to head back to the ramp as I'd had plenty of fun already. Here's a few pics.

Cheers
Tiges

tiges
13-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Jackal victim

tiges
13-05-2006, 09:11 PM
another

tiges
13-05-2006, 09:12 PM
last one

tiges
13-05-2006, 09:14 PM
What we like to see on the sounder.

13-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Well done mate: some beautifully fit and healthy looking bass there! I bet they took abit of line!

Thanks for the report and keep them coming: we dont get many lake macdonald reports. What other dams do you fish and are you based up that way or?

Regards
CT

Louis
14-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Nice looking fish.

Well done

Louis

tiges
14-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks CT and Lewis. Yeh they fought well, as you'd expect from bass. One thing I've noticed is that they pull harder and longer when you get 'em on the single hook rig like a beetlespin, rather than when you get them on a lure with trebles. I live on the Sunny coast CT, used to be at Kawana, but sold my house earlier in the year. Staying with my father in law at the moment near Landsborough, which is a bit of a struggle. Good news is that I bought a house which overlooks Lake Mac back in august last yr, and am moving up there when the renters I've got in there finish their lease, or find another place suitable. Their on the lookout now, so hopefully they find somewhere soon, if not it's august at the latest. Fished there a lot a couple of yrs ago, mainly from my canoe, with great results. Fished there only sporadically since, but always managed to find fish. Some big fish in there, plenty at 50cm+, and don't get many small ones unless your trolling the main basin. Never many people there either, didn't see another sole there the other day, and that is often the case. Haven't put in a lot of time at other impoundments, but have fished Somerset and Borumba for lacklustre results. Had good sessions at Baroon pocket and Cania, but had more time on 'em to work out patterns, which is really the key at any impoundment. Got a boat now so am fishing more regularly, and getting into the Barra dams too. So expect more reports from Lake Mac soon, and I'll only be a short run from Borumba too. Only 3hrs leisurely drive to Monduran as well, so I'm counting down the days, hopefully I'll be up there sooner rather than later.

Cheers
Tiges

TinarooTriumph
14-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Well done Tiges. Some really nice specimens in that lot.

TinarooTriumph 8-)