PDA

View Full Version : Tinaroo Update

TinarooTriumph
21-05-2006, 02:57 PM
G'day everyone.

Just a quick update on the dam.

Last out there on Thursday on a school excursion and was hoping to head out there this weekend aswell, but the cold windy conditions have kept us inside. Dam is at Max Capacity as you would expect after all the rain we have had. Weather has started to clear up the last week, with the blue sky's slowly coming into action as we speak. Very quiet on the Dam as usual for these cooler months. Only water traffic to note would be a few skiers per weekend at the Tinaburra end, and the occasional skiers around Fong On Bay. The house boats are all around the sheltered bays (e.g. Black Gully, Platypus Rock.), and the only real fishing traffic would have to be Lavender Hill/Barron seeking the flatter ground for the warmish water/weeds.

This years Barra bash, could it be another dissapointing year?. Farmers this season wont be irrigating as much due to Larry ripping up alot of the area, and that will keep the dam very full once it stops flowing over the wall. So that will keep the surface area right up, and keep the water cooler. Lets hope this year they move it to late November/December so the waters warm up. But on a good note, Barra numbers this year are up on last year i believe, so thats a positive come summer. I cant see Tinaroo getting under 80% for quite some time.

On a bittersweet note, the Jack population on Tinaroo is dropping. For those of you that dont know DPI released a large number of Jacks into Tinaroo (2004 i think...), and since have not succeeded in building a population there. But, i saw one amazing thing on my excursion on Thursday, which really really hurt! A large school of Jacks were swarming around the Wall/Platypus Rock area, all about 1/2 metres underwater. There would of been atleast 40 of them, all about 60cm+ size, i kid you not. Bright red Jacks, all swimming around enjoying Tinaroo. If only i had thought to have brought a handline and some shallow minnows with me... >:( . Lets hope there are more schools of them around the place.

And thats about it for now. For those of you that may want to read this update to keep track of what the dam will be like for this years 'Bash, i will have another update in a month or 2.

TinarooTriumph 8-)