PDA

View Full Version : Awonga

BlitzBaga
29-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Do the Barra still stay active over winter, or do they shut down and become difficult to catch?

Murray

Awoonga
29-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Murray, First off last year we didnt have a winter ::) ::) I fished both Awoonga and Monduran with good results..both with SPs and hard bodies .. Yes they do slown down but they still have to eat .... Water temp got down to 16 c ... Monduran temps where a bit higher.. it has lots of bays with timber in them... they retain heat ....I had some great days at both dams during winter ....Top time of the year to fish....

BlitzBaga
30-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks Trevor

I would like to plan a trip up there and thought I might have left it a bit late, we have a friend that lives in Gladstone so my missus wants to go visit soon, and yes I accidently spelt Awoonga with 1 o (typo)

McCod
30-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Depends on you ya talk to Murray…. Some of the locals and regulars say it’s the best time to catch big Barra in the winter and some could only raise a few scales or a rat or 2 while others were getting into sight fishing for 40 lbers…. Defiantly worth a fish there mate that’s for sure as there was some good Barra caught there last winter and the Winter before.
The Boyne tannum Hook Up "fishing comp" seen some big Barra come out of Awoonga last June.... 19.2 KG took out the biggest Barra last year.

Cheers Les

BlitzBaga
30-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Les

I get your point, it's a bit like bass fishing that people have their preferred months for productivity. I believe winter bass from big W are fatter and seem to be active during the colder months and in some other impoundments they slow down.

Cheers
Murray

andrew73
14-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Do the Barra still stay active over winter, or do they shut down and become difficult to catch?

Murray

Hi Murry

Yes winter is a good time to fish Awoonga but the only problem is you have to be able to take advantage of the weather and fish weather windows ie periods of little or no wind or my favorate after a few days of northerlies in late july or thru august where oyu go looking for the warmest water you can find, this water can quite commonly be up to 4 degrees C warmer than sourounding areas, and if you can find it you will almost certanially find active fish from undersise models thru to xos size monstors that need seeing to belive.

This time of year is gr8 for us locals that can duck out for a few short hours after work and take advantage of such oppertunities or breaks in the weather, but for traveling anglers as they say you can plan for everything except the weather, which makes it extreamly dificult, especially if you cop 20 to 30 knts of SW while your here. But by all means if your comming bring your gear as you never know what the weather will bring on the day, if not there is always estuary fishing for salmon and the likes or offsure/ nearsoure for macs and bottom bashing for a few reefies

Andrew

BlitzBaga
14-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks Guys

I will definately plan a winter trip then.

Cheers
Murray

mylestom
18-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Fished awoonga twice in the last six weeks. Plenty of barra being caught with the water temp down to 34.1 but still caught three barra in half hour with two over the metre by 7.30am in the morning. They seem to be up in the shallower water around the 8 to 12 metre mark off the river or closer to the timber. Trolling worked the best with the cast a bit of a fizz. All caught in the main dam. But the wind was a bit of a hassle for a couple of days. But still able to get out if you wait for it to drop which it did every day.
The caravan park is a bit of a worry with mixed up bookings and double bookings of sites. But the dam is worth the effort.
Trevor

BlitzBaga
02-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Next weekend is looking good (long weekend)