PDA

View Full Version : wivenhoe7/6

warrior
08-06-2006, 04:45 PM
had the chance to fish this water for the first time,on the water at seven and headed straight down to the main basin,two hours later under electric we arrived and proceded to troll sliders around till we located fish, picked up two 440 mm fish both went around the 2kg.found some huge schools of bait with fish under them but no takers this happened all day ,loads of sulking fish on the bottom thru the whole tackle box at them to no avail .the mate i was fishing with picked up some good fish to 520mm on saturday but they decided to have the day off with us .trolled back and got one more on a slider he went 420mm and fat,all in all a great day on the water better than being at work.cheers AL

aaron_gilmour
08-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi Al,

Sounds like you had a great day on the water. I have been getting plenty off bass around the area you mention on the flats out from billies bay. We have been getting them mostly in the 20 -30 ft range and lately on the deeper end of the spectrum.

I have found trolling till you hook a bass then target the area casting lures. Generally if they are switched on they will take anything. The schools are scattered on the flats and its a matter of just finding a active patch.

The fish at the moment are getting really fat and roeing up and fish over the 2.5kg is common. I have found slow rolling of the bottom with a spinner bait or straight plastic has been getting most fish but when they are a bit slow try speeding up the retrieve can help.

Its a long run over to the flats so anyone trying for the first time its about 8 km one way so bring plenty of batteries.

Cheers
Aaron

warrior
08-06-2006, 05:18 PM
how are you arron ,do you mean flats as in just up of the old river bed where it drops to 50ft ,and what is your pref color for your spinnerbaits and weight, mates fish went 2.85kg the other day.

aaron_gilmour
08-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi Al,

The flats is the area either side of the old river bed where the depths stays constant for a couple of hundred meteres. There is humps etc but generally flat bottom that looks featurless but the bass hang on these areas to feed on bait. As for spinnerbaits a whitepearl and purple seem to work best. When they are switched on any colour will work. I generally fish with a 1/2 oz spinnerbait.

When fishing striaght plastics a 3/8 oz 2/0 hook jighead is fine. Also in the early morning dont discount casting to the shallow edges as generally there are few active bass feeding up close to the edge.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Aaron

warrior
09-06-2006, 12:26 PM
thanks aaron,might see you on the water some time i have a white bluefin warrior with a blue bassin queenland sticker on the side and green decals cheers AL