PDA

View Full Version : 2 mile

jackson_4300
13-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Don’t know how many of you guys know the 2 mile or 4 mile billabongs near Darwin.
Left the cold of brissy 9:30 on Thursday night to go on a 4hr plane trip to Darwin, was the worse flight (don’t fly with jetstar)
Arrived in Darwin at 1 in morning where weather was fantastic. Stayed at a hotel overnight, went to mates place on Friday where gear was packed into the 2 boats that were going.
Left at midday on Friday, 3 hr drive to kakadu national park where the 2 mile is. We normally go to the 4 mile which is a bigger billabong but due to the last cyclone the flooding was still too heavy and the road to the billabong was closed. Unpacked our gear and went out for a quick spin to wet some lines and came back a few hours later empty handed. Next day we decided to have a go at pushing our boat through to the next billabong, (there are about 4-5 billabongs between 2 and 4 mile) was a bit cautious as crocs did live here. We had to get out and push the boat through the shallow water for about 20M while missing all the trees. We were about 3ft from being clear and being in the next billabong when I saw a croc and pointed it out. My old man was in the boat before we could blink, the croc was only about 7ft from us and he was watching us. We decided that we wanted to keep our limbs so we went back and stayed in the 2 mile. Got 1 nice Saratoga and only a couple of small barra that day.
We talked to some guys and they had gone through to the next few billabongs so on Sunday we got some wits bout ourselves and went through to the next 3 billabongs. That day we got only 1 nice barra which was kept and was that night’s dinner. Monday morning went out and I was rewarded with a nice barra which went just legal and was quickly made into breakfast before we left. The other boat and blokes that came with us didn’t keep any barra but got a huge Saratoga. It was decided we are never going there again only the 4 four mile which fishes a lot better.
Only 2 barra were kept, the rest were undersized, few Saratoga, 1 catty and 1 croc was hooked.
Trolling and flicking lures worked the best on what fish were there. As we got closer to the 4 mile the fishing got better.

Will get some photos of the barra and Saratoga, didn’t get a photo of the big Saratoga though.