PDA

View Full Version : Chillagoe Creek (Long Weekend)

TinarooTriumph
13-06-2006, 06:24 PM
G'day everyone!

Went up for the weekend to Chillagoe/Mungana area to do a bit of caving and exploring - if you've never been to Chillagoe and you travel around a bit then go there, its a really addictive place. Hadnt been to Chillagoe for a few months, but last time i was there i caught a few nice sooties and Barred grunter in the creek when it had stopped flowing, and there were numerous deep holes in the creek. Unfortunately, a heap of rain has fallen in Chillagoe, which has really flushed the creek out, and i mean really flushed it out. I suppose its a good thing for Chillagoe though, as it rarely gets good rainfall.

Anyway, we were pondering whether to bring the 4WD and head up to the head waters of the Walsh River, but the track to their would have been horrible, as Friday might had dumped 33mm of rain and Saturday night a further 48mm. So the track would of been shocking.

Arrived at Chillagoe on Saturday arv, at about 2pm. Went for a fish at the local waterhole (The Bogey Hole) and was throwing around a HMG/Halco Scorpion 65 Minnow, tied to some 8lb Trilene (Main Line) and some Yamatoyo trace. Combo been used all weekend was a Shimano Technium light 6' spin rod and a Viva Ballet reel, perfect combo for tossing small lures around. Picked up a fair few little Spangled Perch, as well as quite a few Barred Grunter - nice looking fish. No sooties though #:-[ .

The rest of the weekend was just a breeze, relaxing out and drinking in the pub #;D (Black Cockatoo hotel/motel, best little pub on earth!). Tried another spot on the creek (local weir), where i got much of the same, perch and barred grunter. Tested the Stimulate Ultrabite spray, and it works! It really does, and how do i know that? As i caught fish and could see the scent despersion in the water, and had the little rainbow fish chasing my lure everywhere! So i will be using it more often...

On the way home, yesterday afternoon that is, we tried a dam by the side of the road which looked good (and how could i pass it up #;D). Nothing at all, walked all around the little dam casting around the timber and all, and not a sootie to be found.

Right.... picture time... first pic is of the Bogey Hole in town... and beleif me... the depth of this hole will suprise you... its deep!. Note the bad merkyness of the water - thats from the Limestone found in the creek, gives off a bad colour. 2nd pic will be off the dam i tried on the way home. 3rd pic will be off a nice little patch of water down from the Bogey Hole where i picked up alot of the perch. Sorry no pics of the fish, i mean come on they were only 15-18 cm, just not worth taking pics. Got hit with the perch every cast tho... which made it good though.

Theo 8-)

TinarooTriumph
13-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Bogey Hole

TinarooTriumph
13-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Station Dam

TinarooTriumph
13-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Chillagoe Creek