PDA

View Full Version : Wet Eungella

staggy
11-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Fished a wet and deserted Eungella this morning. Had the whole dam to ourselfs due to the crap conditions I suspect. However apart from the odd shower of rain it was not so uncomfortable that we could not enjoy the morning on the water.
Left Mackay this morning at around 4am with the rain pelting down. The radar on the BOM site showed some showers at Eungella but not as heavy as here at home. So the decission was made to take a drive and see how it turned out.
Had the missus as the deckie this morning. Good to spend some time with her without the kids compeating for her attention.
First fish in was a 50cm puppy on an Atomic Gold Glitter paddle tail droped alongside a likely tree using the 3 to 4 kg sickstick spin rod, 8lb fierline and 20lb blackmagic leader. Not sure if the fish had just moved into this address because it made the mistake of runing away from the snag into clear water making it a lot easier to handle. Usualy a fish of this size would stich me up in 2seconds flat on the lighter gear. Helen fished for an hour then just sat back and enjoyed the quiet drifting around the dam. She landed one fish and droped what seemed to be a much better fish before kickin back takin it easy.
I found up to 3 deg difference between the coldest and warmest water around the dam. All of the fish except 1 came from the warmest water.
Staggy

TinarooTriumph
13-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Nice fish mate. Looks like a 'Eungella Freight-train' alright!.

Mate whats it like their at the moment? Much water? Much water traffic? Might be heading down there for these holidays, will be fishing Koombooloomba but want to try out Eungella aswell.

Cheers.

Theo 8-)

staggy
14-06-2006, 02:43 AM
G-day Theo, there is not much water and when ever I go up there has been little to no one else fishing. The fishing has been slow but as you know with fishing you can hit the water today and clean up and the next day not see a fish. Its unusual not to catch a few each trip. The trip on Sat was squeezed in before the SE blew up bringing the cool change. Can get bloody windy and rough up there.
Iv caught sootys up there in 15 to 16deg water last year but it pays to look around for the warmer water at the moment it seems. The trip before we caught 19 so I looked around there first but done no good. Moved around and found some warmer water and was on to a few with in 10 min. No barra this time. Seen plenty of fish on the sounder but couldnt get em interested.
Hope ya get a few if you do come down for a fish.
C Ya

Staggy

TinarooTriumph
14-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Cheers mate! Yer we are hoping to get away these holidays. Finding time to head out in the boat the last few months has been hard, we have been pretty flat out. If we cant get down there we will be spending alot of Koombooloomba, which is just down the road. Same with Koomba mate, at least every trip you will see alot of fish in the boat, and you usually have the place to yourself aswell.

And people come and tell me they get sick of catching Sooties.... ha. What are they on...

Theo 8-)

F1SH_BOY
15-06-2006, 01:54 PM
WHAT!!!!!!!! THATS ONE FAT HEALTHY FISH LOL WELL DONE! ;D

Dehydrated
15-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Nice work Staggy. Hopefully some of the rain fell in the catchment areas.

Cheers
Don.