PDA

View Full Version : Awonga where do you start !!!!!

Denis_K
15-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Gday all first time on this forum first up must say very impressed with the tips, support and advice given. I am from Wollongong and have my mate and I booked in for 2 weeks at the beginig of October at Awoonga cant wait we have read so much about the place.
More at home trolling for trout in the snowies, this big warm inpoundment does look a bit daunting to a couple of new chums to the area where do you start! Are there any maps of the area available, we are taking my stacer proline up with us and we have GPS and sounder on board we are very much at home trolling thou 6 inches of lure and 30-50 braib is a long way from 2kg maxima and a tassie devil! could take a little getting use to. Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.

Jeremy87
15-06-2006, 04:21 PM
I'll see you up the mate. I'm booked in for the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th. Best start with tackle, there is no point cheaping out even if this is possibly a one off. Bare minimum would be an abu 5600c4, preferably something around 200 calcutta or a millionaire. what ever reel you get make sure it is capable of putting out 4-5kgs of drag and runs as smooth as silk (these fish will take line like it or not if you run any more than 5kg's you'll pull hooks and break rods so make sure you know how much your running). You want to run a good quality braid (fireline is not a good quality braid), the thinner the braid you get the easier casting will be (should you choose to cast) and the deeper your lure will swim. Get a good quality graphite rod rated for 10kg line and make sure you know how to load it up properly otherwise you'll high tip it. Also take a spare rod just in case you do bust one. you will need an assortment of lures ranging from shallow to deep divers. Natural colours, gold and silvers are the safest bet. There are a couple of tackle store in gladstone who have a good variety of lures, line leader rods and reals should you run out or brake something important. Good quality leader material like jinkai is also a must 60lb plus. Learn how to tie a bimini twist and a solid albright connection. A good quality sounder and electric motor will also help (if you can pick up fish arches with your current sounder it will be more than sufficient.) Read up on magazine articles, if you can, try to get your hands on the march 06 edition of Modern fishing as there is an excellent article on trolling for awoonga barra that goes fairly in depth on techniques and locating fish.
See you up there
Jeremy

Denis_K
15-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the tips Jeremy my mate John and I are booked in at Willowgrove we are there from the 2nd
still have to load up with braid leaning towards Fins I am taking 2 10kg sticks 1 baitcaster and a spin stick plus a couple of lighter rods for around the river. Have you done much fishing up that way?
Denis

Jeremy87
15-06-2006, 06:13 PM
I've been up twice so far but have done a fair bit of fresh water fishing for bass and saratoga. Quite a few members live close to gladstone and fish awoonga alot more than i do. I am staying at willowgrove also. From memory they have a maps of awoonga and gladstone at the reception. Its a good base camp as the roadhouse next to it does a pretty decent works burger. defineatly take your 2kg gear and some small softies and poppers as willowgrove is right next to the borne river and you can catch heaps of bream, moses perch, cod etc within walking distance if the barra aren't bitting or if you want a change of scenery. Just remember to take the bushmans otherwise you'll be eaten by mosquito's

luckyone
16-06-2006, 07:20 AM
dont forget the crab pots last time we stayed at willogrove we had a feed of mudys every day. boat ramps a bit sad but neg with care .good luck

barradise
16-06-2006, 09:32 PM
From a locals perspective, that's all very good advice.
Beware of some fishing articles on Awoonga though, some of the write ups are by anglers that may have only fished the lake once or twice and can hardly be considered as an authority on Awoonga's angling techniques or locations to fish.
Much of the info is only rehassed from other writers who visit the lake on a regular basis.
We call them southern long distance barramundi exports up here.
Best to stick with mag writers that come from the area that you wish to fish, that way your getting real local advice, not a fly by night observation taken over a couple days.

Gazza.Boyne
16-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Hey Denis,
You can get a reasonable map of Awoonga from Gladstone Area Water Board, either phone them or try their website.

Gazza