PDA

View Full Version : Borumba trip

Cloud_9
09-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Gaday all

Just got back from the Borumba Dam trip.
As it panned out only 3 people made the trip, myself, Donny and Peter Denaro .
But we went anyway with the intention of trying to catch a Saratoga.
We arrived at the camp ground at 7:30 pm, and found the place was filling up fast with school holidays campers and due #to the darkness it was a little hard to see where we could pitch our tents!
We found a spot that was big enough for our camp, set up shop and tried to relax .
The camp ground has hot and cold showers and toilets and a area to do the dishes.
The cost, $6 each per night. They supply firewood and there are fire pits at each site, which are spaced far enough apart for larger gatherings to be possible.
On the Saturday morning we had a casual start to the day getting on the water by 6am.
The water is at 100% and has been like that for at least 4 months but with the rain that we've had in the last few weeks the water is very dirty.
We started our fishing right up the Yabba Creek arm to get away from the wake boarders that had a early start 6:30 am.
They are either tough or thick. Friday night was very cold, less than 10 degrees and it was still cold at 6:30 am.
Anyway the fishing was trying stuff, cast after cast for nothing.
There was a fair amount of surface action with boils and smashes everywhere.
For the first couple hours we tried spinner baits, soft plastics and hard bodied lures for no takers.
The fish are there, 'cos I saw them. Standing on the bow casting lures around and quietly moving around on the electric motor , we snuck up on several fish before they realised we were there.
I saw 3 little Togas milling around together before they disappeared.
We also happened upon a big Cod just sunning itself on the surface, I know we fishermen are prone to the ( it was this big thing) but this fish was truly huge, probably 700-800 mm long and had a girth of an over- inflated football just floating there not more than a metre away.
Disappearing into the dirty water without a trace while I tried to get Donny's attention without #yelling, “Oi! DONNY LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT”. I think he missed it but Peter saw #the fish before it vanished.
After lunch time Peter cast a Jackall at the lily pads and got nailed by a healthy 45cm Bass.
That fish kept us trying for the rest of the afternoon.
By 3pm my arm was suffering from RCI (Repetitive Casting Injury), #Donny was getting tired and Peter was getting hungry, time to call it quits and head back to camp for a rest, a snack and a beer.
We had a quiet evening and returned home Sunday morning.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Post script: A Comedy of Errors.
There are NO pictures of Peters fish, the Digital camera had flat batteries and camera phone left in the car.
There is NO weight for this fish either, Digital scale battery flat also!
The advent of new nicknames, Donny a.k.a Tangles managed to trip on every rope in the campsite every time he got up out of his chair.
And me a.k.a Lefty I took a pair of sneekers which as it turned out were 2 left shoes, so socks and thongs Japanese style for me.
And Paranoid Pete, not wanting to use the hospital blanket his wife packed for him because someone might have died using it.

10-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi Cloudy,

Sounds like a tough trip but it would have still been nice to get away and be on the water.I am assuming you took the galeforce up: what size leccy do you run at the front and how well does it push/manoever a boat of that size?

Cloud_9
10-04-2006, 07:45 PM
55lb AP Bow mount does fine.
i'm about to look into the 3 blade props for the next Galeforce i'm about to build.

Cheers Cloud 9

BlitzBaga
18-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi cloud 9, just wondering what it is like launching a boat without a 4WD these days, I haven't been up there for about 12 or 13 years now and from memory the ramp seemed steep and gravelly.

Thanks
Murray

grenadier
03-07-2006, 04:33 PM
do you have a pic of the galeforce cloud 9