PDA

View Full Version : Cairns Jacks sooty's and jp's

Jeremy87
03-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Just got back from cairns. Chased jungle perch for a couple of days and took a charter on saturday. Photo's tell the story.

Jeremy87
03-07-2006, 07:19 PM

Jeremy87
03-07-2006, 07:19 PM

Jeremy87
03-07-2006, 07:20 PM

manangatang
03-07-2006, 08:36 PM
on ya buddy,nice trip,cheers.

McCod
03-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Nice JP there Jeremy.... looks way above average size
Do they go as hard as people they say they do?

Cheers Les

TinarooTriumph
03-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Nice stuff mate! The JP looks very healthy... would of pulled like a Mack im sure.

The last pic you posted... would that be the Upper Mulgrave?. And the pic of the light Sooty, would that be the Barron?.

Well done again,

Theo 8-)

Jeremy87
03-07-2006, 09:48 PM
We fished the mowbary for the jp's scored somewhere around a dozen the largest being in the photo gestamated 30cm. We fished the johnson river on saturday up in the rapids on a charter. We scored 30+ fish including tarpon, jacks, jp's and a couple of species of grunter including the one in the picture aswell as a lone barra and trevally. Had a ball though our guide seemed disappointed that we didn't catch anything of quality size. Jp's are a really special little fish, the larger specimans definately know to play dirty one did actually bust dad off losing one of my ecogear sx48 >:(. They probably pull so hard because the are caught in flowing water. We found that casting upstream not only helps you present your lure better but also makes it easier to fight them.

wheezer
03-07-2006, 10:07 PM
good to see some JP's coming out of the mowbray again, it suffered bad in the last drought a few years back

bdowdy
04-07-2006, 10:33 AM
;)great trip and some great photos im so looking forward to my trip up north. cheers bdowdy ;)

Canoedle
04-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Nice pics Jeremy :)

StevenM
04-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Top shots there Jeremy and fantastic looking country

Cheers

Steven

Matthias
04-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip. Nice Jp. Love the blue tail on the sooty.

Pete.

flickflack
04-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Nice Pics mate. Lovely looking fish

Rod

Graham_N_Roberts
04-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Well done Jeremy. Beaut looking fish. ;)

The cook and I were up at Cairns for a week in May. Rained every flaimin' day we were there ... except the day we were leavin' :-/ :'(

Wen't on a charter up the inlet. .. taken for a ride .... literaly >:(. Old boat, old gear, old bait (apart from the livies which we were discouraged from using :-?) Caught a few bream around 30 cm and encouraged to release as they were little ones (must be bloody horses up there :-/). Misus landed a cuda of around 70 to 80cm and was allowed to keep that :P. She hooked onto what must have been a submarine, but instead of backing me up and encouraging her to fight on, our illustrious guide took over, held the spool and broke off. Must remember not to hire that bugger on our next trip up there :-X.

On a trip to Paronella Park, apart from the sheer beauty of the place, what must have been dozens of JP's and sooties just there in the pool pigging out on the pellets we threw them. I tell ya ... I got week in the knees at that sight :o.

Beaut part of the world the far north.

TinarooTriumph
04-07-2006, 11:45 PM
CQ Freshie,

They are the biggest JP's at Paronelle Park anyone will ever see. They get fed like horses!. A mate of mine Ben who lives down in Sydney (formerly Innisfail), is good friends with the owners and on days that the Park would be closed, he was allowed to catch and release the JP's on his light bass tackle!. One hell of a lucky guy.

Everytime i hear friends or family commenting about Paronella Park, they do not comment on the Park itself, more the JP's! ;D

Theo 8-)

Graham_N_Roberts
05-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Yeah Theo, they are snodgers. I was amazed how I could walk into the pool and pick one up, just as easy as I could pick up a fish in my garden pond.
I tell ya ... felt like shootin' back to the car to grab a rod.

I take it Theo, from your user name, that you are from Tinaroo, or at least frequent the area often? Not a bad lookin' village ... and the pond aint too bad neither. We called in for a look, on our way back to home CQ, and were really impressed. I can see a room being booked for a week in the future.

Cheers
Graham

TinarooTriumph
05-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Graham,

Yeah im from the Mighty Tablelands, Wondecla (Herberton) infact. When did you stop to check it out mate?. The place is looking like a million bucks at the moment (always does when its full). Havn't done the amount of fishing there these holidays as i would of liked to... work and everything just keeps popping up :-[ . Good to see the weather has cleared up too... 20 Degree days and Zero degree mornings ;D .

Yeah always good to stay and fish the dam for awile, 1 week on the water and you'll be doing well. Just be prepared to have some 'Fishless' days as everyone does when they are new to the place.

I might get back to you if your after some nice places to stay around the lake.

Theo 8-)

Graham_N_Roberts
08-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Stopped in on 15 May for around half an hour (had to keep moving to see more sights).

Nice place.

Cheers

elephrez1
10-07-2006, 04:29 PM
looks like you had a good trip

Dylan_Rylatt
11-07-2006, 08:30 PM
great pics mate!!!!. top country too. good to get away for a while and enjoy the great outdoors and practise what you preech

Dylan